Audio-gd DAC 3SE - Arrival!
Apr 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #181 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Regal,

Did you have a chance to get your 3SE open, are you also going to mod yours to 8x1704???

No the problem is if I add the extra PCM1704's the power supply won't be able to keep up and it will no longer operate in class A, it turns into to much of an expensive IMO.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #184 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should go for REF 1 or 7, because it was designed for 8 DAC chips.

he wanted a single ended dac that uses 8 chips, not a balanced one. using the ref 1/7 single ended would only be using 4 chips.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #188 of 207
Whats the difference between DSP-1 & DSP3?   Just ordered some BNC-BNC and BNC-RCA Belden digital cables.  Also got a HiFace BNC on order!..cant wait, all should arrive next week!

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #192 of 207
Just a quick write up of my impressions so far.  This is without burning, ie: plugged and connected the Dac and popped in my test disc.  Take my findings for what it is, as i'm no pro.  Also, note that my speaker is no bass monster, but captures bass as it is.

Oppo BDP83SE (transport) via Coax out -> Belden digital cable 75ohm (RCA - RCA) -> AudioGD Dac3SE -> Monster 75ohm RCA Analog cables -> Weston Acoustics Tempest (TungSol 6L6g's, Sophia Electric 6SN7's, Mullard NOS 5AR4 rectifier tubes) -> Modded Fostex 206e's in custom back loaded horn speakers.
-  Jack Johnson in concert 2008 (16bit @ 44khz)
  -  The Oppo via analog outs had clearly better definition of instruments.  Also lower bass notes were well defined.  Overall the presentation sounded 'clean' and clinical, subtle nuances were clearly distinguishable.  However, the passages in the tracks where the dynamics went up, the sound was almost 'glaring'.  It almost at seems that the dynamics of the tracks were pronounced clearly when it occurs, but the glare disappears when the dynamics tones down.  I would say the sound signature is more of a 'forward' kind.  Sibilance is more pronounced and is quite noticable.  Soundstage is wide, and background details (crowd cheering, singing) came through quite clearly.
-  The Dac3SE has a more laid back, smoother approach to the overall sound.  However, that being said, all subtle nuances were well captured and were played smoothly without attenuating any particulars of the sound.  The highs shimmered and was well controlled.  The bass, especially lower bass is much more smoother but much softer and less tight compared to the Oppo.  The bass however, has 'tone' and quite distinctive. Overall presentation can be said to be more 'natural' or musical sounding without favouring any particulars of the frequencies.  Sibilance is not noticable at all! :).   Soundstage is much smaller than the Oppo, but background details were as good but with a touch of warmth.

After a good ear bash from Jack, i decided to try out some 24/96khz HD recordings.

Dell XPS Studio -> HiFace BNC -> Belden digital cable 75ohm (BNC - BNC) -> AudioGD Dac3SE -> Monster 75ohm RCA Analog cables -> Weston Acoustics Tempest (TungSol 6L6g's, Sophia Electric 6SN7's, Mullard NOS 5AR4 rectifier tubes) -> Modded Fostex 206e's in custom back loaded horn speakers.
-  Holly Cole Trio: Dont Smoke in Bed
Ok, not sure how to explain this but here goes.  The soundstage is a little wider from using the HiFace rather than using the Oppo as a transport.  The sound has much more PRaT than using the Oppo (transport).  Warmth is still there, just with more definition to the details.  This may be attributed to the HiFace reclocking the digital data and also using 24/96 files.  Although the Oppo was verified as a low jitter source via SPDIF coax out, but clearly here the sound improved with the added benefit of reclocking. The high's have much more 'air' around them. The lows:  Bass is still soft and sibilance went up a notch or two. However, truth be told here, this recording has an amount of sibilance in it due to the close mic recording of Holly's voice.  JKeny..beware, i'm about to place an order for a mod job.

Will do a more detailed write up in the future after completing around 200+ hrs on the Dac3SE.  But so far, i'm happy with both the units and will definately keep them both.  I suspect that the Dac3SE will be much more forgiving of poor recordings where the Oppo just isnt and is much more 'neutral' sounding.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #193 of 207
I have to concur with Regal's findings, the DAC-3SE requires significant burn in. My unit has approximately 200 hours on it and only very recently have I started to truly enjoy the music it displays. Quite sure my device needs another 100-200 hours before it levels out.

I'm looking forward to hearing your review then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back