Audio GD C2C
Jul 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #391 of 657
I'm working on the stepped pot upgrade as we speak but I've run into some snags that need answers....in the meantime I will improvise (a little bit while waiting for feedback).

EDIT: This upgrade is not an easy one by any means so if you don't have the skills, proper tools and the patience I'd suggest letting Kingwa handle it. I will post the how to when I've got it all "right" and running properly. How long that might take depends on the answers I get. The time difference and language barrier is making things a little difficult, (my fault for being a bit thick in the noggin I'll bet). Anyway I'll get it sorted out.

EDIT Update: Ok I've got it all sorted out up and running properly now...just need to snap some new photos and button everything back up. I'll get the "how to" posted in the next 36 to 48 hours.

Peete.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #392 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should hear what the stepped attenuator upgrade does for it. I'm totally impressed by the results. The ALPS RK27 it replaced is holding the C-2C back.

Peete.

Care to elaborate?

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #393 of 657
Sure Tim,

It seems to lift a large amount of haze out of the way. The Alps reduces resolution, blunts impact/transients, reduces clarity from top to bottom. The stepped pot allows through small scale detailing and ambient cues are easily heard along with associated decay trails etc...all reproduced with utmost clarity. I'll keep spinning some discs to see what else I can nail down.

It really is a worth while upgrade. I'll be posting the "how to" in a day or so once I get the pics ready and the text written. I'll need a few more days of listening to get a further and hopefully more complete picture on the improvements. One thing is certain from the first note after you fire the amp back up you notice an improvement immediately...it's not at all subtle.

Peete.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #394 of 657
Did you Peete have the "prototype" version in silver with rocker switches or do you have the "retail" version in black with push buttons?

If you do have the old version and managed to install the STEPS in your C2C, then I'm very interested because I did consider ordering the STEPS but possible difficulties in installing were holding me back.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #395 of 657
Sorry Seba...it's the newer version. Post a pic of yours with the lid off and I'll eyeball it for you...could you give me a clearance measurement from the faceplate to the nearest component on the pcb that might get in the way ? I'll take my cover back off and take a measurement for you so you have an idea if it can fit or not.

Peete.

EDIT: I sent an email off to Kingwa asking him if this can be done Seba and also asked for the clearance in mm's needed for such a prospect. I don't think my measurement will help you since the pcb/faceplate location is slightly different...although I can give you a faceplate to back of pot measurement. I'll post it ASAP...

*48 mm plus an additional 5 for room from the heat sinks. The distance from the back of the pot to the v reg heat sinks is 12 mm. * From the back edge of the faceplate on the latest version chassis.

Here's a pic...

Hope that helps you out a little bit
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll post Kingwa's reply when I get it.

EDIT 2 : Kingwa's reply was difficult to decipher. I don't think he understood what I was asking him. Anyway if you can give the clearance measurement from your face plate back to the heat sinks I'll be able to tell you if the new pot will fit in the hand made chassis. A pic from the top down would also be helpful (with the chassis lid removed). That is if you want to do such a thing.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #398 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's impressive. I am getting the Phoenix, otherwise I would be all over this upgrade. I thought it would only be a new volume pot.

Not sure I follow you...you get a nice silver knob with that pot
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And those are some of the more disturbing pictures I've seen in a while (in a good way)....

Which ones ?

smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #400 of 657
Peete,

What volume are you listening at? I just got my upgraded C-2C, and am listening at around 12 with modern recordings and around 3 with older, non-compressed recordings.

This worries me, because with my Darkvoice 332 and even Zero, I rarely went past 10 o'clock.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #401 of 657
shampoosuicide: The gain was dropped a month or two ago, as it was too high for many headphones. However, if you're getting to 3 o'clock on the volume, then I can't help wondering if your source is not putting out a strong enough signal. Is it the Zero in your sig?

Seba: I have the original version with the old case, but I've lent it to a friend. I'll probably get it back soonish, and then I'll have a look.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #402 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete,

What volume are you listening at? I just got my upgraded C-2C, and am listening at around 12 with modern recordings and around 3 with older, non-compressed recordings.

This worries me, because with my Darkvoice 332 and even Zero, I rarely went past 10 o'clock.

It's much higher than with the old Alps but it's an illusion. I made a slight mistake installing the new silver knob to the STEPs pot and didn't locate the indicator low enough. I started it at what I thought would be a correct spot (7 o'clock) but when I turned the vol pot to max it goes all the way to the 6 o'clock position so almost a full rotation around. The knob is very hard to get off (and on) so I won't bother relocating it for what boils down to being a trivial niggle. I still think Vol starting at 7 looks right from a conventional stand point. (IMO at least). What is your starting point out of curiosity ?

I now use the volume on average using that scale not much different in level than the old one (in actual sound pressure levels)...it just looks like your turning the volume higher than before. If I had to guess the new 9 o'clock is now 11:00 or 11:30 on the dial. Works out to 8 steps for my comfortable loudest level.

Peete.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #403 of 657
Jul 15, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #405 of 657
Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back