Audeze SINE Series
Jun 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,473 of 4,783
Red is a bit more power, better quality

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,476 of 4,783
Jun 15, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,477 of 4,783
  anyone compared the cipher cable to a dragonfly red?

Two entirely different products. The Cipher is not just a DAC, it has a DSP, AMP and a power management module to adjust power draw from iDevice when it is in different modes (sleep mode, screen-off etc). In addition it has a MEMS microphone and a Analog to Digital convertor.  In future, we will also add more functionality to the DSP to have additional features (more than just EQ) and it will be upgradable through the App. We intentionally limited the power draw and optimized the circuit, to ensure we don't drain the battery. 

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,479 of 4,783

>> Audeze will be selling this cable for $150...what a rip off.
Price is still to be decided. The Sine packs a lot of features (DAC, AMP, DSP, a microphone and a A2D convertor). 

great to hear it...hopefully you'll also come out with an over the ear model
(also this way they wont' pinch the ears: have read
of some reviewers complaining of this on ear model after an hr or so of wear..
plus wouldn't over ear provide better isolation to enjoy all the juicy music?).

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #1,480 of 4,783
  Two entirely different products. The Cipher is not just a DAC, it has a DSP, AMP and a power management module to adjust power draw from iDevice when it is in different modes (sleep mode, screen-off etc). In addition it has a MEMS microphone and a Analog to Digital convertor.  In future, we will also add more functionality to the DSP to have additional features (more than just EQ) and it will be upgradable through the App. We intentionally limited the power draw and optimized the circuit, to ensure we don't drain the battery. 

Does limiting the power draw also limit the amplifier?

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,481 of 4,783
Picked up my Sine + Cipher at Apple Store yesterday; I waited a week for "ship to store" and there were two Sine/Cipher sitting on shelf when I got there. What? When I got home I checked that same store and it still said "ship to store" for new orders but no "same day" pick up. Today same thing - doesn't seem any Apple Store is listing as "in stock" but I'm guessing there is in-store inventory. So - if you live near an Apple Store that shows no inventory online I'd go check in person, or call.

So far I can say build quality is top notch. First listen was Fleetwood Mac Rumours. Right now Enrico Morricone The Mission soundtrack. Source is iPhone and streaming Spotify. Audio volume not even halfway for pleasant listening. I'm not as experienced as many of you but I've listened to The Mission soundtrack since it was released and it sounds absolutely stunning on Sine. There is more separation, more air, and I've actually turned the volume down to somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 as I'm writing this - and that's interesting to me. This seems a much lower volume setting than I would normally use for a pleasing experience.

I have not done much with the EQ app, Using the EQ sliders in the app does change the sound, but I'm not sure if it's really something I'd use a lot.

Unfortunately I have two immediate concerns. First, as many others report they do have a very tight clamp on-ear feeling. This can be alleviated considerably by the degree of pivot on the actual cups. The ability to adjust angle of cups on vertical axis in addition to headband adjustment is very clever. But I'm making adjustments every few minutes, and feeling that "pinch" is a concern. I can only go about an hour before needing a break. There is no way to reduce the "clamp" force/pressure. Second, I'm experiencing same dam* microphonics / bone conduction feedback when I walk. To be "portable" means walking. I should not be hearing or feeling vibration - a " thump thump thump" with every step - with $500 headphones. To say this is extremely disappointing is an understatement. Puttering around my home in bare feet on slate tile is the "test" and I'm getting that distinct feedback - I don't know if it's physical vibration or actual audio "sound" but it's a huge bummer. I will keep listening and take these and my dog for a walk while wearing sneakers, outside, and see how that sounds. What seems ridiculous and frustrating to me is my Apple ear buds, which are not really "deep" IEMs, there is no feedback. They Apple buds just sit lightly on the outer ear canal. i-device users know what I mean - they're not really going IN to the ear canal.

I experienced this problem with the Sol Republic Tracks Air BT headphones I bought first, about a month ago now - and thought maybe it's the wireless connection that causes the feedback it to be so noticeable. Not so, sadly.

My Oppo PM3s arrive today - waiting patiently - and my Dragonfly Red already arrived this morning - so I have 14 days (13 left) return window on Sine and in which to do A/B testing with Sine/Cipher vs. PM3s/Dragonfly. The PM3s and Dragonfly I have about three weeks and 30 days respectively return window on those. Oppo says 30 days but I believe the 30 days is calculated from ship date, not day of receipt.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,482 of 4,783
Any well sealing headphone/iem/earplug will make your steps louder, esp. your heel. That's because the sound projects through your jawbone into your ears - that's what blocking your hearing does.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,483 of 4,783
Any well sealing headphone/iem/earplug will make your steps louder, esp. your heel. That's because the sound projects through your jawbone into your ears - that's what blocking your hearing does.

Yep, and that's why the non-sealing ear buds seem to be "better" in that regard. The HP isn't adding noise, it's taking away those background sounds that mask the things you normally don't hear. Cheers

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,484 of 4,783
Picked up my Sine + Cipher at Apple Store yesterday; I waited a week for "ship to store" and there were two Sine/Cipher sitting on shelf when I got there. What? When I got home I checked that same store and it still said "ship to store" for new orders but no "same day" pick up. Today same thing - doesn't seem any Apple Store is listing as "in stock" but I'm guessing there is in-store inventory. So - if you live near an Apple Store that shows no inventory online I'd go check in person, or call.

So far I can say build quality is top notch. First listen was Fleetwood Mac Rumours. Right now Enrico Morricone The Mission soundtrack. Source is iPhone and streaming Spotify. Audio volume not even halfway for pleasant listening. I'm not as experienced as many of you but I've listened to The Mission soundtrack since it was released and it sounds absolutely stunning on Sine. There is more separation, more air, and I've actually turned the volume down to somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 as I'm writing this - and that's interesting to me. This seems a much lower volume setting than I would normally use for a pleasing experience.

I have not done much with the EQ app, Using the EQ sliders in the app does change the sound, but I'm not sure if it's really something I'd use a lot.

Unfortunately I have two immediate concerns. First, as many others report they do have a very tight clamp on-ear feeling. This can be alleviated considerably by the degree of pivot on the actual cups. The ability to adjust angle of cups on vertical axis in addition to headband adjustment is very clever. But I'm making adjustments every few minutes, and feeling that "pinch" is a concern. I can only go about an hour before needing a break. There is no way to reduce the "clamp" force/pressure. Second, I'm experiencing same dam* microphonics / bone conduction feedback when I walk. To be "portable" means walking. I should not be hearing or feeling vibration - a " thump thump thump" with every step - with $500 headphones. To say this is extremely disappointing is an understatement. Puttering around my home in bare feet on slate tile is the "test" and I'm getting that distinct feedback - I don't know if it's physical vibration or actual audio "sound" but it's a huge bummer. I will keep listening and take these and my dog for a walk while wearing sneakers, outside, and see how that sounds. What seems ridiculous and frustrating to me is my Apple ear buds, which are not really "deep" IEMs, there is no feedback. They Apple buds just sit lightly on the outer ear canal. i-device users know what I mean - they're not really going IN to the ear canal.

I experienced this problem with the Sol Republic Tracks Air BT headphones I bought first, about a month ago now - and thought maybe it's the wireless connection that causes the feedback it to be so noticeable. Not so, sadly.

My Oppo PM3s arrive today - waiting patiently - and my Dragonfly Red already arrived this morning - so I have 14 days (13 left) return window on Sine and in which to do A/B testing with Sine/Cipher vs. PM3s/Dragonfly. The PM3s and Dragonfly I have about three weeks and 30 days respectively return window on those. Oppo says 30 days but I believe the 30 days is calculated from ship date, not day of receipt.

Curious to hear your thoughts and comparisons!

FYI, the comfort DOES get better. You can manually stretch it out to help kidckstart it, but I've also found that after enough wearing it will sort of shape and fit to your head...almost like breaking in a baseball glove.

Also, I only where mine when I'm walking...outdoors, nonetheless. I have zero problems with microphonics -- I don't hear a single step. I thread my my cord inside my shirt --- it was something I discovered a long time ago. That may be more practical for me b/c I'm wearing workout shirts (vs. work clothes or something similar)...but maybe something to experiment with.

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,485 of 4,783
I have a question for those who own the Sine with Cipher. Have any of you experienced intermittent cut outs on the Cipher cable when walking around? When I have my phone (admittedly a large 6S Plus) in my pocket, this'll happen. I'm thinking it might be the strain relief on the lightning part, which seems a bit too flimsy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back