Audeze SINE Series
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,501 of 4,785
Relieve yourself of a little clamp and slide the earcups down a bit more. I am also going to be a bit more curious as the gap between the Sine and PM-3 widens more than your initial impressions. 

After discovering the dragonfly red USB DAC I purchased to audition with PM3 does not support ANY built-in headphone track & volume control.... I can say the PM3 loses a bit of attractiveness and "oomph".

Some of the guys in DFR thread weren't especially kind; didn't see how a DAC heavily marketed as "truly portable" - but forces user to lose all headphone control - is a problem. When I said in a kind way I didn't feel I wanted to remove phone, Apple CCK, and $$$ DFR every time one wants to change track or volume, in NYC, on subway or dog walking or shopping - showing everyone around me some very expensive stuff,....I got back mostly sympathetic replies, but also some "he doesn't understand what a DAC is for". I did genuinely thank them for clarifying NO external DAC will support headphone built-in track & volume control - that's the part which I honestly didn't understand. Ergo - a truly, truly portable solution for me is not going to include a somewhat Frankensteinish phone + Apple CCK, + "portable" DAC. I mean, c'mon.

So now it's Sine + Cipher vs. PM3 without any external amplification.

Now that I have Tidal hi-fi free trial up and running will report back more as I go further.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,502 of 4,785
I must be one of the few people on here who, after two weeks of regular usage, has no complaints about the SINE's clamping force. I find the headphone remarkably comfortable, given the relative limitations of the on-ear design. In fact, I would tend to think that a little extra clamping force on such a headphone would be more virtue than vice, as one would hardly have much use for a "portable" headphone if it was frequently sliding about the head. And there's plenty of play in the earpiece sliders for making adjustments. It just seems odd that one wouldn't be able to find a setting they'd be comfortable with.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,506 of 4,785
  I must be one of the few people on here who, after two weeks of regular usage, has no complaints about the SINE's clamping force. I find the headphone remarkably comfortable, given the relative limitations of the on-ear design. In fact, I would tend to think that a little extra clamping force on such a headphone would be more virtue than vice, as one would hardly have much use for a "portable" headphone if it was frequently sliding about the head. And there's plenty of play in the earpiece sliders for making adjustments. It just seems odd that one wouldn't be able to find a setting they'd be comfortable with.

do you wear glasses, however?

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,509 of 4,785
  do you wear glasses, however?

I used to, but, thanks to the wonders of modern medicine, I no longer do! 
wink.gif
 I can certainly see how the SINE would be uncomfortable for someone wearing glasses, though. Especially if you had thicker frames. But then most headphones aren't particularly accommodating to the bespectacled, let alone on-ear portables.

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,511 of 4,785
  a bit of concern that prevents me from pulling the triggger:
i wear glasses and I'm concerned these cans might get a bit 
tight after a bit...over ear designs are always better suited generally, vs on ear, for our type

I wear glasses - there is some minor discomfort (as is true for me with all on-ears) - but it is better than most. I really only notice it into the second hour of wearing them, and it's far from a deal breaker for me. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,512 of 4,785
I have been demoing a pair of Sine for about two weeks now. I fi d the Sine sound wonderful, the bass is very nice and the mids are sweet. Furthermore I found the Sines to be pretty detailed and resolving of the the sound. I think the Sine is technically a touch better than my OPPO PM-3'S. The only thing that I do not like about the legendary Sine, was how hot, my ear got from the on the ears pads of the Sine. If I lived in a cooler, less humid State, I would get a pair Sine, however, I live in Florida, and I hate sweaty ears. If I want that sweet Audeze bass, I will have to go for a LCD-X. I hope everyone has a great tome jamming out and that your cans put a big old smile on your face.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,513 of 4,785

Same here, I fine the Sine very comfortable with no issues whatsoever, so it's definitely a case-by-case opinion.

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,514 of 4,785
Relieve yourself of a little clamp and slide the earcups down a bit more. I am also going to be a bit more curious as the gap between the Sine and PM-3 widens more than your initial impressions. 

Thanks for the helpful slider suggestion and encouragement.

So for $500+ and portable, I want MAGIC.

Three days non-stop PM-3 (now minus Dragonfly Red- too frankensteinish) vs Sine + Cipher vs Sol Republic BT Air Tracks; now feeding all of them Tidal "hi-fi" $20 level (free trial 30 days) I think Sine is starting to show me the magic.

I fed all three headphones same playlist today; Santana "Maria Maria" and "Smooth"; assorted Patsy Cline original Decca Master tracks; Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" and "Breathe"; Peter Gabriel 1988 human rights concert live version of "Biko", "Sledgehammer" and "In Your Eyes";! Sade "Your Love is King" (for the sax solo) the entire Carol King Tapestry album - on all three. Sol Republic BT Tracks Air, Oppo PM3, and Sine. The SRs have north of 100 hours.

There's no way to talk about so much music. Carol King can play the crap out of the piano; and her string/vocal/percussion/keyboard arrangements are why we all know those songs by heart. I've listened to it hundreds of times. Ditto the others selections . We all know "you've got a friend" and I'm not going to say what happened when I listened to that on Sine except it was a moment. What I heard was Sine is able to separate King's left hand piano and right hand piano to left and right ear cups, perfectly. The other two can't do that nearly as well. Her "Smackwater Jack" and Gabriel's "in your eyes" on Sine made me air guitar the bass and air-bongo, respectively, and I can't really play instruments. Frankly, I've never air - bongo 'd before. The crescendo of "in your eyes", cymbals crashing, frenzied percussive arrangement I couldn't sit still with Sine. Peter Gabriel and Youssou N'Doir 's soaring surreal vocals gave chills. The hypnotic, synthesized bag pipes in Biko, the audience cheering and singing along, my eyes closed I was there. And this is a live recording - so hard to reproduce well. Again, my home rig is Yamaha and klipsch reference and I like the klipsch "wall of sound" sound. Sine is a similar wall of sound.

So far the other two headphones don't really come as close to fully engaging as described above. .

With more time on PM3, what I can say is without separate DAC, it's underpowered with a phone. PM3 are still way, way more comfy but the sound quality is not as engaging without a DAC. I think these may be third place now being strict on "portable".

Believe it or not, I'd give second place now to the Sol Republics if we stick to "portable" criteria. The SRs, with Tidal, are fun, light, fast, and I wish I bought two during the $38 groupon sale. Perky, bright, and flawless iOS control. If you're looking for on ear BTs, and you find these for less than $50 I'd grab one. Didn't think they'd be as good.

Okay....not done yet. Now I have to still try both PM3 and Sine with my reference yammie AVR as source. I have a hunch the PM3s might fare better there.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,515 of 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker4life View Post

After starting free tidal 30 day trial I've been listening for many hours now.

The sound quality listening with Sine is just "wow".

Can someone explain in English what exactly "Hi-Fi" quality is in Tidal?

It is CD quality: 16/44.1

It is CD quality: 16/44.1

So I realiize this is roundabout but now I'm testing Sine and PM3 jacking into front panel headphone input on yahama reference AVR. The AVR drives Klipsch reference speakers.

My question is, If I'm streaming "hi-def" Tidal 16/44.1 from iPhone or iPad over a/c WiFi into yammy AVR, I'm getting CD quality back out through yammy headphone jack, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back