• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,696 of 7,693
I didn't understand your question then. I apologize. Maybe if Mobius takes off they'll also create an open back model as well.

Not sure that an open back model would be possible with all of the electronics inside of the headphone. It would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

If iHeartRadio’s 128kbps MP3/AAC (not public info) can sound this good through an amp, I wonder what it would take for 256kbps AAC via Bluetooth to present such clarity. The 1W amp in Mobius is promising.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #1,697 of 7,693
If Mobius is as incredible as I expect after testing a Blu-Ray via a Sony amp on my EL-8 Titanium which has no 3D sound effects or processing then I won’t be able to watch a movie any other way. Will have to figure out ASAP how to watch all movies like this. Can’t even imagine what it would sound like to have 7.1 surround sound outputted to the headphones considering the quality of imaging/detail just from a 2.1 mix. Life-changingly good. I could see getting so spoiled that I don’t use my surround sound setup nearly as much...

Hey, I'm happy for you that you are excited like this, but could you minimize your double triple and quadruple posts to a minimum?
Just edit the first.

And btw. it's no surprise that cipher (which you previously hailed btw.) is worse than a standalone amp.
That's the one big problem with Mobius since it might be more powerful than the usual cipher solution, but it most likely won't have the same fidelity as the better DAC-Amps out there.

I just hope it's "good enough" because after a certain point I'm hard pressed to hear a difference without side by side listening.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,698 of 7,693
Hey, I'm happy for you that you are excited like this, but could you minimize your double triple and quadruple posts to a minimum?
Just edit the first.

And btw. it's no surprise that cipher (which you previously hailed btw.) is far worse than a standalone amp.
That's the one big ass problem with Mobius since it might be more powerful than the usual cipher solution, but it simply won't have the same fidelity as the better DACs out there.

I just hope it's "good enough" because after a certain point I'm hard pressed to hear a difference without side by side listening.

Sure, that’s fair enough. I try to edit when possible but sometimes I feel it’s enough of a new topic to warrant another post. I will try to not quadruple post in the future.

I did hail Cipher as an innovation since I was hoping in theory it would mean a significant improvement over an unamped 3.5mm which I admit is not really the case though a Lightning connection with dedicated DAC/amp is still very cool. EL-8 requires a proper amp to shine. Sine benefitted from Cipher though and the difference with an amp may not have been as apparent due to the smaller drivers. Maybe I will listen to the audiophiles here praising the use of an amp as I did find my Sony amp, which is designed for a surround sound system and wouldn’t necessarily be considered best-in-class, to make a significant difference.

I still wonder when a company will be able to replicate the experience I can get with an entry-level (though quite large) amplifier and a lossy streaming service and bring it into a Bluetooth environment.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #1,699 of 7,693
I used the HD800 as example because they have a huge sound stage, and since the main characteristic you want for gaming is sound stage i assumed if the Mobius are so revolutionary for gaming they will excel in this apartment, besides it's a very different approach the Mobius will fake that soundstage with their technology, meanwhile the HD800 soundstage is natural, so i really don't see how my question is stupid.

If the Mobius are that great for gaming they will for sure have big sound stage and great positioning besides they are 400$ cans from a company like Audeze, it's not like some Logitech headset we are talking about.

Soundstage most definitely is not the main characteristic you want for gaming. That would be imaging. Soundstage means nothing if it can't image properly. I used my Q701 for years up until I got my HD580, not even close in soundstage size, but images so much better.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,700 of 7,693
Audeze has said that the chip used in the Mobius is way more advanced than the cipher cable. The cable seemed to work well for the Sine and I haven't really heard much praise for it with the EL-8.

I don't think it's wise to get overly hyped about a product before hand, but early impressions and Audeze's track record leaves my pretty optimistic.

The official word is don't expect the same refinement as the flagship LCD series, but that they're really happy with the sound quality they've accomplished with the Mobius and I believe that I'll be quite happy with it.

We will hear for ourselves.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,701 of 7,693
Very hard for me not to excited when a developer of one of the games I am excited to see released this year ordered 3 from the Indiegogo campaign. Add to the fact that I will have the Mobius before the games planned beta date.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,702 of 7,693
Very hard for me not to excited when a developer of one of the games I am excited to see released this year ordered 3 from the Indiegogo campaign. Add to the fact that I will have the Mobius before the games planned beta date.
What dev/game would that be?

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,703 of 7,693

You can't quite compare with the power of Audeze, can you? :)

Games include complex stories that can usually be handled by a few writers who need to stay in sync, so games can't be rushed past a certain pace, while something like a headphone with a large company like Audeze behind can totally be done quickly.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,704 of 7,693
Oh right it's that game that promises not just the moon but a complete solar system as well. Well they do have my attention but I'm far too jaded and cynical these days to have any hopes.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,706 of 7,693
Does anyone know if the 3.5mm output via the Xbox One controller would be suitable? It’s 2.1 which is fine but I’m trying to figure out if it’s uncompressed.

Edit: Did some more research and found the first option should be stereo uncompressed, which should work well enough. There are also two virtual surround options in Xbox One for headsets and I’m assuming that it’d be preferable to leave them off and utilize Mobius’s own 3D processing. So Mobius should also work quite well with Xbox One. Imaging in stereo is typically fine and encompasses 360 degrees.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,707 of 7,693
These won't do all things for every situation, but I strongly believe these things are gonna rock on many fronts.

As long as we don't expect them to do something they weren't designed to do, I think there is going to be a lot of satisfaction. Little annoyances and technical limitations aside. I think they're going to excel. Wouldn't even shock me a at all if quite a few people will even prefer them because of their tuning to the basic LCD 2.

Did I say temper expectations? Lol.... Sure, but I think these are not gong to disappoint.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,708 of 7,693
These won't do all things for every situation, but I strongly believe these things are gonna rock on many fronts.

As long as we don't expect them to do something they weren't designed to do, I think there is going to be a lot of satisfaction. Little annoyances and technical limitations aside. I think they're going to excel. Wouldn't even shock me a at all if quite a few people will even prefer them because of their tuning to the basic LCD 2.

Did I say temper expectations? Lol.... Sure, but I think these are not gong to disappoint.

Some people prefer the signature of the Sine and iSine to the LCD line. It’s all about tuning preference as they’re all quality headphones. As long as Mobius maintains the Audeze house signature which it certainly sounds like is the case then yes it wouldn’t be crazy to think that some people may prefer Mobius over the LCD-2. It will likely have its own unique tonal characteristics.

It seems abundantly clear from the posts I’ve read by Audeze that Mobius has been a labor of love and that they didn’t hold back just because it’s a $399 gaming headset. (Which while relatively cheap in the Audeze lineup is on the high-end side of the gaming/Bluetooth market.)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,709 of 7,693
I’m sure they’ll have an uncharacteristically large soundstage for a closed-back headphone. But by nature an open-back headphone will have a lager soundstage, especially one of that caliber.
[mod edit: merged]

I kind of disagree with this.

It's obvious that open back headphones by nature are going to have a more open nature then any closed back. Comparing the HD800 to the Mobius seems silly as well because they are totally different and in completely different price ranges. That said, I don't think it's silly to think about comparing the sound stage on a headphone like the Mobius to maybe the best soundstage available from a more music oriented audiophile headphone. We are talking about whether the technology in Mobius can create a simulated sound stage for a completely different purpose then the HD800.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,710 of 7,693
I kind of disagree with this.

It's obvious that open back headphones by nature are going to have a more open nature then any closed back. Comparing the HD800 to the Mobius seems silly as well because they are totally different and in completely different price ranges. That said, I don't think it's silly to think about comparing the sound stage on a headphone like the Mobius to maybe the best soundstage available from a more music oriented audiophile headphone. We are talking about whether the technology in Mobius can create a simulated sound stage for a completely different purpose then the HD800.

I don’t disagree, but I figured others would say to lower expectations after making a statement like that. I do think it will be uncharacteristically large due to the software and whatever optimizations Audeze made to the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back