• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #946 of 7,693
@misteral201103 - It's an internet thing. Maybe it does come down mostly to an age thing but this is evident on any forum where people's views can swing greatly.

I'm excited but it can be easy to get caught up in both the good and bad of early reviews.

I'm sure these headphones will be good for everything and maybe even great in everything.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #947 of 7,693
I'm sure these headphones will be good for everything and maybe even great in everything.

I'm only looking for them to be great in one thing - have other products for everything else :)

I've got no reason to worry that they won't be great for the role I'm looking to get them for.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #948 of 7,693
so Audeze, what would the most technically advanced audiophile headphone look like?

Wireless (airplay, chromecast audio, DNLA, all the codecs)
TOTL DAC/amp (like used in a top end dap)
Convertible open/closed
Optimal onboard balanced power
True bypass passive analog input
BMW designworks or similar (sleeek)
Mobile app for EQ with a “community preset market”(like Jaybird)
Good for phone calls
...user serviceable battery (please god)

I’d drop some CASH on that

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #949 of 7,693
so Audeze, what would the most technically advanced audiophile headphone look like?

Apple only allows AirPlay support on speakers at this time, though I think they’ll come up with a lossless codec soon.

Mobius is pretty close to ideal as you described other than the BMW Designworks design. Though they look better than most “gaming” headphones.

Edit: If we get lucky Apple will support LDAC. It wouldn’t be the first time they adopt an evolving codec.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #950 of 7,693
Apple only allows AirPlay support on speakers at this time, though I think they’ll come up with a lossless codec soon.

Mobius is pretty close to ideal as you described other than the BMW Designworks design. Though they look better than most “gaming” headphones.

Edit: If we get lucky Apple will support LDAC. It wouldn’t be the first time they adopt an evolving codec.

Do you have a source for speakers only? There are numerous receivers and even the Chord Poly has it, which is clearly not a speaker oriented product.

I believe it’s as open as MFi is. That is, design a device to spec, get it certified and pay a fee for every unit produced.

Also, I’m pretty sure my list is not redundant outside of phone calls.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #951 of 7,693
Do you have a source for speakers only? There are numerous receivers and even the Chord Poly has it, which is clearly not a speaker oriented product.

I believe it’s as open as MFi is. That is, design a device to spec, get it certified and pay a fee for every unit produced.

Also, I’m pretty sure my list is not redundant outside of phone calls.

It’s intended for speakers/receivers and there are no headphones that support AirPlay. I don’t have access to the MFi documentation as I’m not part of the program but I believe Apple encourages the usage of Bluetooth for this use case.

Nah, not redundant but Mobius impressively comes pretty close in a lot of those aspects. I think you’ve nailed pretty much all that needs to be included in an endgame product though.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #952 of 7,693
I was really looking a looong time for a BT headphone + boom mic but couldn't find any really interesting options, then this one shows up and I'm like *throws money at the screen*. It was like my question was answered from above.
I haven't seen any indication that you'll be able to use the Mobius's microphone in Bluetooth mode and hear high quality audio through the headphones at the same time. Usually what happens with BT headsets when the mic is used is it reverts to a BT headset profile, which has terrible audio quality. Would love to be wrong about this, but so far I haven't seen anything that would suggest otherwise.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #953 of 7,693
It’s intended for speakers/receivers and there are no headphones that support AirPlay. I don’t have access to the MFi documentation as I’m not part of the program but I believe Apple encourages the usage of Bluetooth for this use case.

Airplay audio is clearly not regulated to speakers due to the Chord Poly data point. It’s basically MFi process to integrate. While speakers may be the largest market for 3rd party integration, it’s clearly not beyond reach if a product designer has a plan to use it and takes the MFi steps. It just takes a business need to justify hurdles and Headphones have just gone with wires or Bluetooth at the device level.

Given recent track records with your apple ascertains and predictions, it might be time to consider slowing your roll with the “I’m this prophetic authority” tone a wee bit. There really is zero hard data point available to back up your “correction” of my post.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #954 of 7,693
Airplay audio is clearly not regulated to speakers due to the Chord Poly data point. It’s basically MFi process to integrate. While speakers may be the largest market for 3rd party integration, it’s clearly not beyond reach if a product designer has a plan to use it and takes the MFi steps. It just takes a business need to justify hurdles and Headphones have just gone with wires or Bluetooth at the device level.

Given recent track records, apple ascertains and predictions, it might be time to consider slowing your roll with the “I’m this prophetic authority” tone a wee bit. There really is zero hard data point available to back up your “correction” of my post.

https://developer.apple.com/library...l/AirPlayGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

“Using AirPlay, users redirect audio and video to either an Apple TV or to an AirPlay-enabled sound system or remote speakers.“

I want AirPlay in a pair of headphones as much as you do but it’s going to take a new version of AirPlay to make that happen.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #955 of 7,693
https://developer.apple.com/library...l/AirPlayGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

“Using AirPlay, users redirect audio and video to either an Apple TV or to an AirPlay-enabled sound system or remote speakers.“

I want AirPlay in a pair of headphones as much as you do but it’s going to take a new version of AirPlay to make that happen.

“Sound system” is very very likely a very technical definition in a dev guide.. A wireless headphone is, by definition, a sound system. It’s a complete closed loop with processing, amplification and speakers. The conversation is getting off track. This is not hard data, in my book.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #956 of 7,693
“Sound system” is very very likely a very technical definition in a dev guide.. A wireless headphone is, by definition, a sound system. It’s a complete closed loop with processing, amplification and speakers. The conversation is getting off track. This is not hard data, in my book.

Fair enough. Audeze has a fairly close relationship with Apple so maybe they could be the first to make AirPlay-enabled headphones.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #957 of 7,693

TOTL DAC/amp (like used in a top end dap)
Convertible open/closed
Optimal onboard balanced power
True bypass passive analog input
BMW designworks or similar (sleeek)
Mobile app for EQ with a “community preset market”(like Jaybird)
Good for phone calls
...user serviceable battery (please god)

I’d drop some CASH on that

Thats it ? :o2smile:

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 11, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #958 of 7,693
I'm really on the fence about these, trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on the gogo campaign for the lower price. I need a new set of cans and was looking at upgrading my gaming headset too. Might I have found a good middle ground? Course I'd go ahead and take the chance if they were foldable since most phones are taking the axe to the 3.5mm jack and I take my current cans (falling apart) with me a lot of places.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #959 of 7,693
Thats it ? :o2smile:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back