• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #751 of 7,693
According to Audeze, it will only do 5.1/7.1 through the usb-C input. So, no it won't do that with the Xbox. But you will still get the simulated 2.0/2.1 speakers with head tracking. It would be really cool if Audeze worked with Xbox and Playstation to make the Mobius compatible as a USB headset with
According to Audeze, it will only do 5.1/7.1 through the usb-C input. So, no it won't do that with the Xbox. But you will still get the simulated 2.0/2.1 speakers with head tracking. It would be really cool if Audeze worked with Xbox and Playstation to make the Mobius compatible as a USB headset with consoles.
Thanks for the reply. I wish they would make the Mobius 5.1/7.1 compatible with console too. Is it that hard to do that or make an optional device to make it compatible. Do you know of a optical to usb out converter device that would let someone use Mobius on consoles to get 5.1. I see so many optical to analog 5.1/7.1 converters devices,I got one myself, but no optical to usb out devices like that. Thanks

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #753 of 7,693
Can someone tell me how exactly the Mobius will be able to play Movies/TV Shows in Surround Sound? Because as far as i know this type of Media always uses decoding like Dolby Digital or DTS right? And it seems that the Mobius dont has that kind of Decoder so you only will get Surround Sound from Games. Please correct me if im wrong.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #754 of 7,693
Can someone tell me how exactly the Mobius will be able to play Movies/TV Shows in Surround Sound? Because as far as i know this type of Media always uses decoding like Dolby Digital or DTS right? And it seems that the Mobius dont has that kind of Decoder so you only will get Surround Sound from Games. Please correct me if im wrong.
A PC will see the Mobius as a multichannel audio device, so as long as the software you're using to play the movie/TV show can output a normal 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel signal, the Mobius will be able to process it in surround.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #755 of 7,693
Thanks for the reply. I wish they would make the Mobius 5.1/7.1 compatible with console too. Is it that hard to do that or make an optional device to make it compatible. Do you know of a optical to usb out converter device that would let someone use Mobius on consoles to get 5.1. I see so many optical to analog 5.1/7.1 converters devices,I got one myself, but no optical to usb out devices like that. Thanks

Please refer to my post here

I am not aware of a device that is capable of extracting 5.1/7.1 audio out of USB from consoles. It may be possible, but it would require licensing and hardware changes. I am not aware of a Optical to 5.1/7.1 decoder over USB either.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #756 of 7,693
A PC will see the Mobius as a multichannel audio device, so as long as the software you're using to play the movie/TV show can output a normal 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel signal, the Mobius will be able to process it in surround.
Ok but lets say im watching a Netflix movie in 5.1 Audio, how will the Audio be processed because Netflix only Outputs Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital+. a Mixamp on Console would be useless without a Dolby Digital Decoder and the same should be true for Movies on PC as well. In Games this is not a Problem because the Audio is in PCM but Movies dont have that and that is my concern. Even if the PC sends 7.1 Information, if the Mobius doesn't know what to do with it, it would be useless. Of course if the Movie sound is not decoded it would be no problem. Hope i dont totally get it wrong and thanks for the fast reply.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #757 of 7,693
Ok but lets say im watching a Netflix movie in 5.1 Audio, how will the Audio be processed because Netflix only Outputs Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital+.

The Windows 10 Netflix app already does the decoding for you. I have been watching Netflix on my Windows 10 laptop with Mobius in 5.1. I have also been using VB Audio's virtual audio cables to redirect 5.1 audio from Netflix app and also 7.1 audio from Bluray to test virtualization algorithms and personal HRTFs.

Also see this on Netflix support: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #758 of 7,693
The Windows 10 Netflix app already does the decoding for you. I have been watching Netflix on my Windows 10 laptop with Mobius in 5.1. I have also been using VB Audio's virtual audio cables to redirect 5.1 audio from Netflix app and also 7.1 audio from Bluray to test virtualization algorithms and personal HRTFs.

Also see this on Netflix support: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066
Thats what i wanted to know. Thanks for the Reply.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #759 of 7,693
Let me start off by saying that I am not a professional audio engineer - only someone who loves surround sound and has been looking into this market of DSP Headphones for about 8 years now.

Will it really matter if a signal is 5.1 vs. 2.1? Will it only simulate 2 speakers in the DSP or can we hear a simulated 5.1 DSP processed off of a 2.0 input signal?

While it is obvious, it is important to remember that "almost" all headphones only have 2 drivers in them. So regardless of the signals coming into it, it still only has stereo speakers to produce the sound. From my personal experience with Digital Surround Processing (DSP), whether it is a 2.1/5.1/7.1 signal coming in, it actually has a very small part as to creating a surround sound effect in stereo headphones. What matters most is how well that DSP can take that info and create a surround effect. I kinda feel like the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headphone is a gimmicky sales tactic. All this is informing the buyer of is that the headphone can except that type of signal for audio information... it doesn't automatically mean that you will be able to hear a difference between the two input signals :smile_phones:.

For example. I have a sound blaster X7 (DAC/AMP) that i use for gaming. It can take an input of Dolby Live 5.1/7.1 surround sound. However, the Sound blaster has a built-in SB-Axx1™ multi-core DSP chip (SBX) that creates its surround sound effect. I personally think it is one of the best on the market currently. The catch is my stereo sources sound just as good to me, surround sound-wise, with the DSP on with my stereo content. Yes, it helps me sleep better at night knowing that I can put a Dolby Live 5.1/7.1 surround sound signal into it... but outside my of OCD Audio brain, I cannot tell you that I hear a difference between the two. In fact I have heard more convincing surround sound from a great stereo recording with DSP then a 5.1 signal.

I am in hopes that this new Audeze DSP will rival and be superior to the SBX DSP. This is the risk in buying it before it comes out for full review by many. But it is telling us that it will give a convincing surround sound effect from a 2.0/2.1 signal, correct? Plus if you add the head-tracking capabilities of the headphone, I feel it will make a huge difference in tricking our brains into hearing surround sound out of a Stereo input signal.

Okay... that is my amateur nonscientific expectation, that anyone smarting than me in this area will probably tear apart :confounded:, but I can only make my own opinion off of my own experiences.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #760 of 7,693
(Apologize in case it was asked before, but I searched and I cannot seem to find a direct answer.)

I see that the suggested connection to game consoles is analog. but I believe PS4 just supports USB DAC (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69310423)

I wonder why Mobius cannot be used on PS4 over USB directly. Was it just a conservation recommendation?

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #761 of 7,693
Let me start off by saying that I am not a professional audio engineer - only someone who loves surround sound and has been looking into this market of DSP Headphones for about 8 years now.

Will it really matter if a signal is 5.1 vs. 2.1? Will it only simulate 2 speakers in the DSP or can we hear a Digital surround sound processed off of a 2.0 input signal?

While it is obvious, it is important to remember that "almost" all headphones only have 2 drivers in them. So regardless of the signals coming into it, it still only has stereo speakers to produce the sound. From my personal experience with Digital Surround Processing (DSP), whether it is a 2.1/5.1/7.1 signal coming in, it actually has a very small part as to creating a surround sound effect in stereo headphones. What matters most is how well that DSP can take that info and create a surround effect. I kinda feel like the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround headphone is a gimmicky sales tactic. All this is informing the buyer of is that the DSP can except that type of signal for audio information... it doesn't automatically mean that you will be able to hear a difference between the two input signals :smile_phones:.

For example. I have a sound blaster X7 (DAC/AMP) that i use for gaming. It can take an input of Dolby Live 5.1/7.1 surround sound. However, the Sound blaster has a built-in SB-Axx1™ multi-core DSP chip (SBX) that creates its surround sound effect. I personally think it is one of the best on the market currently. The catch is my stereo sources sound just as good to me, surround sound-wise, with the DSP on with my stereo content. Yes, it helps me sleep better at night knowing that I can put a Dolby Live 5.1/7.1 surround sound signal into it... but outside my of OCD Audio brain, I cannot tell you that I hear a difference between the two. In fact I have heard more convincing surround sound from a great stereo recording with DSP then a 5.1 signal.

I am in hopes that this new Audeze DSP will rival and be superior to the SBX DSP. This is the risk in buying it before it comes out for full review by many. But it is telling us that it will give a convincing surround sound effect from a 2.0/2.1 signal. Plus if you add the head-tracking capabilities of the headphone, I feel it will make a huge difference in tricking our brains into hearing surround sound out of a Stereo input signal.

Okay... that is my amateur nonscientific expectation, that anyone smarting than me in this area will probably tear apart :confounded:, but I can only make my own opinion off of my own experiences.
Yeah im using a X7 as well, and i am really impressed with SBX too. And it really sounds great with Stereo already, but if i try 5.1 Sources it really shows its strength and just sounds right to me. But it looks like Mobius will do great regardless. The only thing holding me back now are the missing console support and the taxes and customs for shipping to Germany :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #762 of 7,693
LOL wat?

Screenshot_20180329-185128.jpg

Did not expect that advertisement on that article.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #763 of 7,693
LOL wat?

Did not expect that advertisement on that article.
Probably targeted based on your browsing history. Pretty normal, actually.

(Apologize in case it was asked before, but I searched and I cannot seem to find a direct answer.)

I see that the suggested connection to game consoles is analog. but I believe PS4 just supports USB DAC (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69310423)

I wonder why Mobius cannot be used on PS4 over USB directly. Was it just a conservation recommendation?
The PS4 requires specific licenses for devices to be used via USB, and the Mobius is not licensed to work with the PS4.

Edit: the same holds true for Bluetooth with the PS4. It'll pair to the PS4 (I managed to connect the two through setup), but it won't be able to communicate.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #764 of 7,693

The USB out of consoles requires licensing and royalty agreements. This is not trivial. This is our first headphone and it already has many ground breaking features. We want to ship these and adding console support (feature creep) would delay the product for a while.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #765 of 7,693
Could adding console compatibility be added as a firmware update down the road? Or something more like a Mobius 2 feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back