• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #782 of 7,693
Guys, speaking with Audeze directly, I just wanna inform you guys that my demo of the Mobius 3D audio had the surround effect set to 30%, which I have absolutely no doubt in my mind why the rear surround depth wasn't up to my level of expectations. I'm someone who likes stuff like Dolby Headphone to which is 67% of Dolby Headphone's surround levels, and like SBX Surround at 100% surround. So with the Mobius having another WHOPPING 70% of surround left to play with, I feel that the final product may well do rear surround depth as good as I would ever need it to be.

I'm hopeful, anxious, and highly anticipating on hearing it with adjustable surround/room settings.

For someone who recently tested another company's surround (I can't say their name as I turned down their headphone), and regardless of setting couldn't get their surround to sound anywhere near decent, it's crazy how great even 30% sounds off the Mobius.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #783 of 7,693
Sorry for the double post.

On topic,

Is there any chance the mobius could take a stereo input and convert it to surround in a future update? Or is there just not enough sound information in stereo audio to give proper spatialization?

Dolby Pro Logic II works well enough with Dolby Headphone in terms of turning a stereo signal into surround. An example is the Nintendo Wii set to Pro Logic II - RCA out to an Astro Mixamp. Or the PS2 via either spdif out or analog out to Mixamp, as long as the game was set to output Dolby Pro Logic II. Considering it was the only way to get surround out of those systems, it worked pretty well, though sounded more processed than just converting Dolby Digital 5.1 to Surround/Dolby Headphone.

That's the only ones I know of.

I don't know how they managed to do it, and I don't think Audeze would do the RnD for similar since it has to be a SPECIFIC stereo signal.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #784 of 7,693
Sorry for the double post.

Dolby Pro Logic II works well enough with Dolby Headphone in terms of turning a stereo signal into surround. An example is the Nintendo Wii set to Pro Logic II - RCA out to an Astro Mixamp. Or the PS2 via either spdif out or analog out to Mixamp, as long as the game was set to output Dolby Pro Logic II. Considering it was the only way to get surround out of those systems, it worked pretty well, though sounded more processed than just converting Dolby Digital 5.1 to Surround/Dolby Headphone.

That's the only ones I know of.

I don't know how they managed to do it, and I don't think Audeze would do the RnD for similar since it has to be a SPECIFIC stereo signal.

Right.... The exception is if the source audio was mixed as surround into stereo. But music for example, or anything not mixed to mimic more than two channels cannot be realistically put into a spot it wasn't mixed for.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #785 of 7,693
Guys, speaking with Audeze directly, I just wanna inform you guys that my demo of the Mobius 3D audio had the surround effect set to 30%
Waaaaaaaat?

Damn, I hope the software into beta before long. Did you have to send back your Mobius or are you a lucky butt and get to hang on to it? Ours went back a while ago.
supernatural-dean1.gif

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #786 of 7,693
Itching to test the quadrophonic versions of Bitches Brew and Live Evil in foobar. Here's hoping old school 4.0 will translate well with the Mobius!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #787 of 7,693
On the topic of a hypothetical "Mobius 2" (or similar product), in addition to my prior comments I did a little research on the problem of transmitting 5.1 audio wirelessly, and discovered a reference to Enhanced aptX. This apparently little-used subtype of aptX encodes 5.1 audio at a bitrate of 1024 Kbps, theoretically within Bluetooth's effective limit of ~2.1 Mbps. Qualcomm doesn't seem to market or offer any products that support it, but I have to imagine they acquired the rights to it along with the rest of the aptX IP.

Perhaps if the Mobius does well enough, could we see something implementing 3D spatialization wirelessly via 5.1 audio over BT in the future? Audeze would for sure need to bundle the headphone with a specialized USB adapter, since nothing else supports Enhanced aptX. Coupled with a low-bandwidth mic return channel and you've got your near perfect super gaming headset.

No idea if this is at all feasible - just throwing the idea out there. Would definitely make for a compelling product though.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #788 of 7,693
On the topic of a hypothetical "Mobius 2" (or similar product), in addition to my prior comments I did a little research on the problem of transmitting 5.1 audio wirelessly, and discovered a reference to Enhanced aptX. This apparently little-used subtype of aptX encodes 5.1 audio at a bitrate of 1024 Kbps, theoretically within Bluetooth's effective limit of ~2.1 Mbps. Qualcomm doesn't seem to market or offer any products that support it, but I have to imagine they acquired the rights to it along with the rest of the aptX IP.

Perhaps if the Mobius does well enough, could we see something implementing 3D spatialization wirelessly via 5.1 audio over BT in the future? Audeze would for sure need to bundle the headphone with a specialized USB adapter, since nothing else supports Enhanced aptX. Coupled with a low-bandwidth mic return channel and you've got your near perfect super gaming headset.

No idea if this is at all feasible - just throwing the idea out there. Would definitely make for a compelling product though.

It’s certianly possible there will be a wireless 5.1 standard in a few years, but let’s let them release the first version of Mobius first. It’s at an accessible price and is high-tech so it isn’t unprecedented that it will be obsoleted relatively quickly.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #789 of 7,693
In terms of the next product, I have a feeling they might throw something out for Technophiles at some point late this year or early next year. If the Mobius and iSine have taught us anything, it’s that Audeze is somewhat unpredictability innovative.

However, on that SoundCloud interview, the CEO identified 3+1 core demographics:

Audiophiles
Mixing/recoding engineers/musicians
Technophiles
And now, gamers

So for audiophiles, the new release was the LCD-i4. In fact, the LCD line might be primarily targeted toward audiophiles. These are the hard to drive components that are optimized for strong headphone source rigs.

For mixing/recording, they recently released the LCD-MX4 with specific verbiage targeting studio use with flat frequencies and all day comfort.

For technophiles, it seems the sine/iSine line is kind of covering it. I think it might have been on the innerfidelity review where the CEO was quoted as saying technophiles were buying them in droves. The EL-8 titanium might be considered a precursor here. These are optimized for mobile first fidelity.

And we’re in the gamer thread taking about the Mobius.

Obviously, there is some overlap. For example, the Mobius could certainly fill the technophile niche and the LCD-MX4 is kind of, you know, an LCD.

However the marketing is likely indicative of how the corporation sees the products fitting their target markets.

Unless the iSine-LX counts, it’s been about 1.5 years since Audeze announced a technophile marketed product.

I wouldn’t be too terribly surprised to see a “Sine” branded product based on the same platform/skeleton of the Mobius come out in the next year or so that’s optimized for technophiles who are a little bit in the audio spectrum more than gaming. Maybe like a reverse of the iSine 10/20, iSine LX progression.

I can imagine features like true passive input for gearheads, extended platform support for mfi lightning cables, BMW design, something we haven’t thought of yet (convetable open/closed wireless is a fantasy of mine).

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #790 of 7,693
Just listened to an interview with Sankar Thiagasamudram on SoundCloud. Here is the link:
https://m.soundcloud.com/theomshow/audeze

Sounds like the Mobius will be partially made in the US and partially somewhere else. He didn’t go into too much detail on it (and I blame the host a bit too because he kept steering him away from talking about Mobius) but there’s quite a bit of background on Audeze there and it’s founders and goals. Also info on why they went with Indiegogo with the Mobius. It’s a bit long but I think very interesting.
If it is indeed a mix of here and there won't be surprised. They can't possibly do everything from ground up

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #791 of 7,693

I've tested Opus @ 256k with 5.1/7.1 material and it sounds great. I imagine one could go even lower. A native wireless protocol for the codec (which is now a standard) would be a good way to go for saving bandwidth.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #792 of 7,693
Aw man. Audeze is gonna have a demo in SoCal? Kinda wish they had the prototype when one of their reps were here in Phoenix in February. Oh well. Did get to try out the LCD-2 and kinda liked them (or whatever it was - I'm sure it was an LCD).

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #793 of 7,693
Waaaaaaaat?

Damn, I hope the software into beta before long. Did you have to send back your Mobius or are you a lucky butt and get to hang on to it? Ours went back a while ago.

I sent it back a few days after the impressions, so fairly quickly.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #794 of 7,693
since the firmware-update 4.0 on the nintendo switch it is possible to use some bluetooth headsets via usb cable. I wonder if its possible to use the mobius with the switch via usb (for pcm 5.1)

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #795 of 7,693
If mobius is a smash hit and there is staggering demand, I can see Audeze getting licensing and being able to incorporate consoles in the future. It seems like the most universal approach would involve the addition of a break or box that could decode 7.1 to waves NX. Then bluetooth (if wireless was the goal and worked without hiccup) would have double duty of sending pre-virtualized surround sound to stereo to the headset and head tracking data back to the breakout box (which would need to get virtualizion processing duties.)

This solution could be an optional add n as it would diminish the capabilities of the headset not to also have the NX software built right into the headset as well as processing being switchable to the break out box.

I have no idea whether the current headset could be upgradable via firmware to be used like this.

Obviously I'm getting way ahead of where we're at right now. This is still an untested product. Not everyone who spends a few hundred on console is probably going to spend a few hundred in a headset and say another couple hundred (or more) on a companion box. Considering the licensing is probably a considerable expense, demand would need to be very high.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back