• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #451 of 7,693
Also whats the latency? Extremely important for FPS gaming.
Though I do not have the exact latency numbers and also it depends a bit on the input type and settings, USB-C will have the lowest latency and yes Mobius was designed keeping mind latency requirements for both live monitoring and FPS.
  • At the very least for head-tracking to be effective the latency needs to be less than a millisecond.
  • Mobius does not use convolution based HRTF modeling to keep the latency very very low and also to reduce computational requirements and improve battery life.
  • Mobius uses a very intelligent and low latency transient detection and ambiance creation algorithms instead of depending on addition of reverbs. Reverbs typically involve very long filters that increase computational costs, increase latency and also are detrimental to clarity.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #453 of 7,693
Since the 5.1 / 7.1 doesn't work with consoles (without some work around), can you just use the Dolby Atmos for headphones from say the Xbox one? Combined with the emulation, head tracking, etc.?
I’ve asked this question twice and no answers so far. I certainly think it should be possible. How it sounds is a different question they should be able to test it out since it’s on PC as well (along with Windows Sonic).

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #454 of 7,693
I’ve asked this question twice and no answers so far. I certainly think it should be possible. How it sounds is a different question they should be able to test it out since it’s on PC as well (along with Windows Sonic).
The reason for our reservation in answering that question is, it is not a question of if you can, yes you can feed any 2ch audio processed or otherwise through Aux input. If the 2ch audio is providing a stable stereo (or surround) image, the head tracking will anchor that image when you move your head. But Dolby Headhone processing will add it's own ambiance and some form of HRTF modeling and Mobius will addo n top of it. You could dial down the ambiance on Mobius but you will still have the HRTFs. So ultimately only you can tell if the net effect is satisfactory to you and it may be fine for most users.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #455 of 7,693
LDAC transmitter

Did a search a couldn't find a good answer. So the question is - is there a stand-alone LDAC transmitter for home theater use that will take an optical or even analog input? If Sony makes this beast, I don't see it on their website. Is this in the works???

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #456 of 7,693
I’d be all over this but if I can’t use it on my home theater, there’s no point, even though this still looks like a very good headphone nevertheless.
I understand it’s new tech, but to “market it” to use with movies, why only for a Pc? MANY of us have home theaters and/or large screen TV monitors.
Will this run off PS3 using the Blu-ray player and be able to decode 5.1/7.1?

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #457 of 7,693
I’d be all over this but if I can’t use it on my home theater, there’s no point, even though this still looks like a very good headphone nevertheless.
I understand it’s new tech, but to “market it” to use with movies, why only for a Pc? MANY of us have home theaters and/or large screen TV monitors.

It's marketed to PC gamers, young people that get most of their entertainment from the PC and can't/don't want a home theater. They're entering a new market with millions of people who's horny for new tech. This isn't aimed at the traditional audiophile that's willing and able to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on audio.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #458 of 7,693
Went ahead and took the hit on these. From what I'm reading here and there, there's no way to personalize the spectral component of the HRIR? Would be nice to have at least the option to choose from a few different options.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #461 of 7,693

Since Audeze has presumably already licensed LDAC from Sony, I’m hoping they’ll offer a stand-alone transmitter. Maybe that’s the headphone stand in some of the pictures??? This would really broaden the appeal to a much larger market...

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #462 of 7,693
Went ahead and took the hit on these. From what I'm reading here and there, there's no way to personalize the spectral component of the HRIR? Would be nice to have at least the option to choose from a few different options.
Yes Mobius allows HRTF personalization. HRTF personalization is achieved through options to measure and input your head geometry. The head size affects the spectral component of HRTF due to head shadowing and is also direction dependent. So the 3D algorithms used in Mobius is able to modify the HRTF models based on your head geometry.

Personalization based on outer ear and ear canal is partially achieved through Cipher DSP presets that are calibrated to achieve a flat perceived response as measured at the ear drum for the average ear, and your outer ear does rest of the work by superimposing your personal HRTF.

A truly personalized HRTF is not possible without using in ear microphones and measuring a reference system from different angles and height. It is not only complex for an average user, but having access to such a system is also hard and squeezing all that processing within the headset even with today's advanced DSPs is difficult.

That said, we do plan to expose the Head-Tracking API for plugins and other apps. So an enterprising individual with both DSP knowledge and programming chops could make HRTF measurements using in-ear microphones at whatever granularity they would like, and use the Head tracking information to pick the right set of HRTFs and may be even interpolate intermediate points and have a truly personalized experience for music or movies.

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #463 of 7,693
@KMann Thank you for willing to get berated by us community members I'm probably going to go ahead and grab one of these before it's too late. If you can put in a word to have the team research a digital optical to USB-C adapter or HDMI passthrough which splits off the audio signal to USB-C. Either solution will be purchased immediately by pretty much all of us as the idea of watching a 4k HDR Blu-ray(or gaming as such) in Mobius is entirely too appealing.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #465 of 7,693
It's marketed to PC gamers, young people that get most of their entertainment from the PC and can't/don't want a home theater. They're entering a new market with millions of people who's horny for new tech. This isn't aimed at the traditional audiophile that's willing and able to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on audio.
It was a rhetorical question on why marketing this way. That’s obvious. I’m looking for a workaround for my Theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back