• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
May 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,426 of 7,693
I have bought a Copper version but not for gaming. I have a Stax set-up for home and an old set of UE-10 custom IEMs fed from a Meridian Explorer 2 for traveling. I travel every week and I am tired of setting up and packing the Explorer and cables; of plugging and unplugging from phone to Explorer when I receive a call, and I am tired of the lack of spark and slam of the Explorer driving the UE10s. (The explorer is good as line out DAC, but not as headphone amp, in my opinion)

With the Mobius, I expect to be able to have (for $269!!):
  • A DAC good for 24/96 and multichannel
  • A balanced amp designed to work with the headphones and equalized for them. No need to spend money on another.
  • A bluetooth headset for conferencing.
  • The possibility to change on-the-fly from USB to Bluetooth when I receive a call with the press of a button.
  • A surround set up when I see a film at the hotel room.
  • And first and foremost, a good music headphone that keeps many of the virtues of other Audeze headphones.
I can imagine that there could be an application in firmware for a noise-reduction headphone; not as performing as the Boses on the attenuation, due to a microphone far from the ears and mono, but still good for up to 1 KHz - but I don't count on it.

On the other hand, I look forward to see the effectiveness of the HRTF with real head measures; Surround has never worked well for me with standard systems

May 12, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,427 of 7,693
How do you guys think the Mobius will compare to any headphones+ waves software.

I'm using the trial version with my web cam and its....a gimmick.

It loses a lot of detail and I find the localization isn't even as good as something like SBX, which my sound card does beautifully and with less sound distortion .
As far as the head tracking itself its very gimmicky, like yeah i can move my head and ill hear the right speaker on my left, but at least the webcam version has the limitation that you cant really "look" at the rear speakers.

Maybe it's the games that I've tried with it (Dying light, Nex machina, Battlefield bad company 2, Batallion 1944) , but i'm not impressed

Of course the mobius will have better head tracking, but i'm worried about the sound quality while in 3d and also how good the effect is at replicating a room. I was hoping for something better than SBX .

May 12, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #1,428 of 7,693
It’s always been multiple products in one. Audeze confirmed my theory that the reason they added Bluetooth as well was because they are a small company and it was easier to put the R&D into a single product rather than releasing multiple SKU’s. Which makes sense since Mobius had to be active anyway for the head-tracking features to work, so adding features like Bluetooth just required a cutting-edge Bluetooth chipset.

If you read into the campaign, Bluetooth is there to make Mobius more of an all-around everyday headphone and in relation to it as a gaming headset it’s also there to make mobile gaming more convenient. It should be clear that Bluetooth isn’t optimal for PC gaming.

I think you misunderstand how easy it is for customers to become confused. We on Head-Fi are the top 5% of the community that are enthusiasts. You can't expect the average consumer to see a gaming headset that's also wireless just to know that there will be significant latency if wirelessly gaming. Most consumers will also not have followed the indiegogo campaign.

I really don't get the push back against simply making a note of the wireless latency. It enhances transparency and avoids future issues.

How do you guys think the Mobius will compare to any headphones+ waves software.

I'm using the trial version with my web cam and its....a gimmick.

It loses a lot of detail and I find the localization isn't even as good as something like SBX, which my sound card does beautifully and with less sound distortion .
As far as the head tracking itself its very gimmicky, like yeah i can move my head and ill hear the right speaker on my left, but at least the webcam version has the limitation that you cant really "look" at the rear speakers.

Maybe it's the games that I've tried with it (Dying light, Nex machina, Battlefield bad company 2, Batallion 1944) , but i'm not impressed

Of course the mobius will have better head tracking, but i'm worried about the sound quality while in 3d and also how good the effect is at replicating a room. I was hoping for something better than SBX .

Given the reviews from audiophiles I've seen who have tried SBX before, the hardware implementation will be much better on the mobius than the waves software alone can provide. You will not loose detail either from all the impressions I've see so far. Audeze wouldn't release a set of cans that came with such a large issue out of the box. Audeze also claims the drivers have been designed with spatialized audio in mind and all the impressions seem to echo that sentiment.

Just a heads up, make sure you aren't using SBX while also using the waves software. Double applying 3D audio effects sounds terrible.

May 12, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,429 of 7,693
Ok, I have to ask. Are the flaws people are pointing out with bluetooth are standard general bluetooth issues instead of specifically relating to the Mobius, or are they Mobius specific problems that don't occur with other bluetooth headphones with mic capabilities?

If they're problems contained within general bluetooth limitations, are you all honestly expecting Audeze to lay out every possible issue that could possibly come up using bluetooth? That must be a small book of any plausible issue that could occur when trying to use bluetooth.

I don't know much about the technical details but at least it's possible to get around it, Steelseries Arctis 3 is a bluetooth gaming headset for example and only $149 at that too.

There's also the Arctis 7 which comes with an USB adapter that works wirelessly through 2.4G wireless connection which is even better quality and completely lag-free. That might be an option worth considering in a future Mobius 2 product perhaps, it costs $30 more only so doesn't add that much to the cost.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,431 of 7,693
I don't know much about the technical details but at least it's possible to get around it, Steelseries Arctis 3 is a bluetooth gaming headset for example and only $149 at that too.
From the Arctis 3 Bluetooth FAQ:
Why should I use a wired connection for gaming if the headset has wireless Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is a convenient wireless technology for streaming audio from a mobile device and for communications, but it isn’t ideal for gaming. Latency can be rather long, which means you will always hear your audio slightly later than you see the visuals on screen. Also, when using chat functionality Bluetooth limits the frequency range available, so audio loses some fidelity. Having wired audio for gaming ensures zero latency and maximum sound quality. Bottom line: wired game audio and Bluetooth chat is an ideal setup for a variety of platforms.
(Emphasis added)

This bit of info is all I'm suggesting Audeze add to the Mobius product literature.

May 13, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,433 of 7,693
Seems like Audeze chose the perfect time to come up with a new style of gaming headset

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...big-gaming-headset-sales-are-through-the-roof

If the Mobius goes well it could mean a ton of more business for them

Specially when all those people buying turtle Beach stuff realize... .What they bought.

Won't make a blind bit of difference. The majority of gamers aren't audiophiles and are influenced by their favourite Twitch influencer's, esports team or tournament sponsores brand. Audeze can make the greatest gaming headset known to man but if they don't promote themselves in the gaming market they will be a fart in the wind. Also PUBG is stereo so the Mobius is wasted on that game. Moreover, gaming headsets carry extensive warranties and great turn around times, Mobius's 1 year inc battery warranty is laughable in comparison.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,435 of 7,693
I will admit, Head-Fi has certainly taken more money than I ever thought it would.
Amen, I never thought I would get into this hobby as much I am. I just look at it as a one time investment. :gs1000smile:

May 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,436 of 7,693
I thought DT880 at $240 was outrages when I needed a pair of headphones for mixing...

Now look where I am...

Keeping it relevant, @jude could we have a poll at the top for #teamcopper vs #teamblue?

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,437 of 7,693

Users who are viewing this thread

Back