1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze Mobius Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Mar 14, 2018.
?

Are You Team Blue or Team Copper?

1. I'm Team Blue

110 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. I'm Team Copper

290 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I Chose Both

23 vote(s)
    5.4%
First

Back
86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
Next

Last
  1. divasson
    I have bought a Copper version but not for gaming. I have a Stax set-up for home and an old set of UE-10 custom IEMs fed from a Meridian Explorer 2 for traveling. I travel every week and I am tired of setting up and packing the Explorer and cables; of plugging and unplugging from phone to Explorer when I receive a call, and I am tired of the lack of spark and slam of the Explorer driving the UE10s. (The explorer is good as line out DAC, but not as headphone amp, in my opinion)

With the Mobius, I expect to be able to have (for $269!!):
    • A DAC good for 24/96 and multichannel
    • A balanced amp designed to work with the headphones and equalized for them. No need to spend money on another.
    • A bluetooth headset for conferencing.
    • The possibility to change on-the-fly from USB to Bluetooth when I receive a call with the press of a button.
    • A surround set up when I see a film at the hotel room.
    • And first and foremost, a good music headphone that keeps many of the virtues of other Audeze headphones.
    I can imagine that there could be an application in firmware for a noise-reduction headphone; not as performing as the Boses on the attenuation, due to a microphone far from the ears and mono, but still good for up to 1 KHz - but I don't count on it.

On the other hand, I look forward to see the effectiveness of the HRTF with real head measures; Surround has never worked well for me with standard systems

Rob Oppers and MICHAELSD like this.
  2. Drivenby
    How do you guys think the Mobius will compare to any headphones+ waves software.

I'm using the trial version with my web cam and its....a gimmick.

It loses a lot of detail and I find the localization isn't even as good as something like SBX, which my sound card does beautifully and with less sound distortion .
    As far as the head tracking itself its very gimmicky, like yeah i can move my head and ill hear the right speaker on my left, but at least the webcam version has the limitation that you cant really "look" at the rear speakers.

Maybe it's the games that I've tried with it (Dying light, Nex machina, Battlefield bad company 2, Batallion 1944) , but i'm not impressed

Of course the mobius will have better head tracking, but i'm worried about the sound quality while in 3d and also how good the effect is at replicating a room. I was hoping for something better than SBX .

3. evernessince
    I think you misunderstand how easy it is for customers to become confused. We on Head-Fi are the top 5% of the community that are enthusiasts. You can't expect the average consumer to see a gaming headset that's also wireless just to know that there will be significant latency if wirelessly gaming. Most consumers will also not have followed the indiegogo campaign.

I really don't get the push back against simply making a note of the wireless latency. It enhances transparency and avoids future issues.

Given the reviews from audiophiles I've seen who have tried SBX before, the hardware implementation will be much better on the mobius than the waves software alone can provide. You will not loose detail either from all the impressions I've see so far. Audeze wouldn't release a set of cans that came with such a large issue out of the box. Audeze also claims the drivers have been designed with spatialized audio in mind and all the impressions seem to echo that sentiment.

Just a heads up, make sure you aren't using SBX while also using the waves software. Double applying 3D audio effects sounds terrible.

4. RPGWiZaRD
    I don't know much about the technical details but at least it's possible to get around it, Steelseries Arctis 3 is a bluetooth gaming headset for example and only $149 at that too.

There's also the Arctis 7 which comes with an USB adapter that works wirelessly through 2.4G wireless connection which is even better quality and completely lag-free. That might be an option worth considering in a future Mobius 2 product perhaps, it costs $30 more only so doesn't add that much to the cost.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. RamSpencer
    Wait for them...... It's going to be about SQ.

6. subtec
    From the Arctis 3 Bluetooth FAQ:
    (Emphasis added)

This bit of info is all I'm suggesting Audeze add to the Mobius product literature.

evernessince likes this.
  7. Drivenby
  8. majnu
    Won't make a blind bit of difference. The majority of gamers aren't audiophiles and are influenced by their favourite Twitch influencer's, esports team or tournament sponsores brand. Audeze can make the greatest gaming headset known to man but if they don't promote themselves in the gaming market they will be a fart in the wind. Also PUBG is stereo so the Mobius is wasted on that game. Moreover, gaming headsets carry extensive warranties and great turn around times, Mobius's 1 year inc battery warranty is laughable in comparison.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. Saoshyant
    I will admit, Head-Fi has certainly taken more money than I ever thought it would.

10. Slim1970
    Amen, I never thought I would get into this hobby as much I am. I just look at it as a one time investment. :gs1000smile:

BunnyNamedCraig likes this.
  11. cskippy
    I thought DT880 at $240 was outrages when I needed a pair of headphones for mixing...

Now look where I am...

Keeping it relevant, @jude could we have a poll at the top for #teamcopper vs #teamblue?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. meringo
    Matro5, evernessince and Euphonik like this.
  13. AxelCloris Administrator
    We've cleaned up some off-topic posts. Let's please keep the focus on the Mobius and not each other. Thanks everyone.

14. Drivenby
    And now you own a 4000usd pair of headphones.

The rabbit hole goes deep...

15. evernessince
    No kidding. I went from console gaming to PC gaming and a sen 598 and eventually wound up with an ATH-A2000X about 20 years later. They aren't fantastic for everything though and that's why I bought into the mobius, which appear to be the perfect all rounders.

First

Back
86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
Next

Last