• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
May 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,382 of 7,693
There's been a lot of talk about "no solution" for LDAC Bluetooth for computers/phones via USB, and while there isn't a product you can buy today that I'm aware of, Fiio has been showing off the BTR3 which is scheduled to ship in July:

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/645

"BTR3 (supports aptX, aptX-HD, LDAC, SBC, AAC and NFC function)"

That's not too long after the Mobius ships.

May 10, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,383 of 7,693
Apx HD would have been cool. In addition to LDAC.

Apparently in oreo you can turn on LDAC in developer options out of the box if it's not enabled automatically by the manufacturer. It's standard. Not sure if the highest bitrates are hardware dependant or anything....or if any of the manufactures would actually consider blocking LDAC from being an option. They don't need to license it themselves.

Regular Apx isn't a particularity impressive format.

If I'm tethered to a screen on a PC, I really don't mind being tethered to a cord. If I'm walking around I don't need a PC and I don't need lag free.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,384 of 7,693
There's been a lot of talk about "no solution" for LDAC Bluetooth for computers/phones via USB, and while there isn't a product you can buy today that I'm aware of, Fiio has been showing off the BTR3 which is scheduled to ship in July:

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/645

"BTR3 (supports aptX, aptX-HD, LDAC, SBC, AAC and NFC function)"

That's not too long after the Mobius ships.

The BTR3 is a portable headphone amp that can receive LDAC. I think people are asking about a bluetooth transmitter that can transmit LDAC. Completely different

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,385 of 7,693
^ correct at above, I've got this one and used to pair it with a Fidelio L1 BT headphone (sadly don't have the headphones anymore as it was giving a chirping electrical noise due the constantly blinking led light, haven't quite found a suitable replacement yet)

Both supported aptX LL so delay wasn't an issue and worked great. It's connected to the TV via optical cable/SPDIF. The adapter itself remembered the connection of the headphones so it was enough to turn on the headphones and it would connect to the Bluetooth device automatically in a few secs.

Something like that with LDAC support would be nice.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,386 of 7,693
The BTR3 is a portable headphone amp that can receive LDAC. I think people are asking about a bluetooth transmitter that can transmit LDAC. Completely different

You are correct, I made an assumption that it could work in transmit or receive mode but from what I now gather it is merely a receiver, not unlike the Audio-Technica AT-PHA55BT:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/au...t-bluetooth-headphone-amplifier.22918/reviews

Inclusion of LDAC in Android O is spurred at least in part because Sony is not charging phone makers a licensing fee (unlike Qualcomm who charges a fee to anyone licensing the AptX tech). It's unclear to me if Sony has or will extend such generosity to Bluetooth transmitter/adapter makers, but I hope they do or at least someone comes to market with something affordable to make LDAC transmission more accessible.

May 10, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,387 of 7,693
People are strange sometimes. It's VERY clear from the indiegogo page what this product is, and isn't. But people read stuff, then they add their own interpretations and expectations that based on these things it should be able to do as well because that makes sense to "me". But then they learn that it isn't possible and it was never possible or intended in the first place. So therefore they are now disappointed in something that was never even on the table to begin with.
Is it clear though? Check out this quote from the indiegogo page:
Mobius also features Bluetooth functionality with almost three times the data bandwidth as other Bluetooth headphones. This level of versatility allows you to enjoy all of the benefits of Mobius on whichever platform you prefer.
(Emphasis mine)

This paragraph pretty strongly implies that all of the Mobius's functionality works over Bluetooth. But that's not the case.

The Mobius is:
  1. A headset with boom mic
  2. Targeted at PC gamers
  3. With Bluetooth
What do PC gamers use headsets for? In-game voice chat. Would it not be reasonable to think that the Mobius could, given it's list of features, support in-game voice chat over Bluetooth? At least on PC?

But it's totally unsuitable for that purpose, and in fact probably unsuitable for PC gaming in general in Bluetooth mode, due to the latency of the codecs it supports.

So no, I don't think it's clear at all, and Audeze has a done a rather poor job of communicating the limitations to potential customers.

May 10, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,388 of 7,693
So, now that the campaign is closed, the wait for the actual Mobius begins. All this talk about near-universal compatibility... I do think ultimately this product, from a branding and market perspective, will eventually need to be compatible with consoles and other devices. But it's gonna take some success and iteration to get there. If they sorta play their cards right though, Audeze can basically redefine the leisure (as opposed to the professional or hobbyist) headphone market single-handedly.

For me, I'd want Switch and PS4 compatibility, but mostly I want a pair of bluetooth headphones that don't suck, and maybe some way to accept multi-channel audio from an HDMI to USB-C cable. That way, I can at least have some non-neighbor-disturbing fun with my HT set-up.

May 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,389 of 7,693
Is it clear though? Check out this quote from the indiegogo page:
(Emphasis mine)

This paragraph pretty strongly implies that all of the Mobius's functionality works over Bluetooth. But that's not the case.

The Mobius is:
  1. A headset with boom mic
  2. Targeted at PC gamers
  3. With Bluetooth
What do PC gamers use headsets for? In-game voice chat. Would it not be reasonable to think that the Mobius could, given it's list of features, support in-game voice chat over Bluetooth? At least on PC?

But it's totally unsuitable for that purpose, and in fact probably unsuitable for PC gaming in general in Bluetooth mode, due to the latency of the codecs it supports.

So no, I don't think it's clear at all, and Audeze has a done a rather poor job of communicating the limitations to potential customers.

One paragraph out of context? So people can't even read the whole presentation these days, even before spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars? Wow......

May 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,390 of 7,693
One paragraph out of context? So people can't even read the whole presentation these days, even before spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars? Wow......
The problem is reading the whole presentation doesn't help: nowhere does it say audio quality will suffer severe degradation when using it for voice chat over Bluetooth. That's a significant oversight, considering voice chat is a key feature for many in the target market of PC gamers.

May 10, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,391 of 7,693
The problem is reading the whole presentation doesn't help: nowhere does it say audio quality will suffer severe degradation when using it for voice chat over Bluetooth. That's a significant oversight, considering voice chat is a key feature for many in the target market of PC gamers.

Is it though? I don't think many PC gamers will be using bluetooth to game. I see no reason to use it in that setting, considering the latency, lack of surround, and the fact that you are already in a fixed position at your desk - why not just use USB as intended? I think people are making too big of a fuss about the bluetooth. If you don't like the implementation, don't buy it, simple as that. I'm not saying people can't discuss it, but I don't think it's appropriate to act indignant about it. I'd rather have it how it is now and release in June than wait for all of the certifications and testing necessary to fit everyone's desires, which will probably be met in a future iteration of Mobius anyway. I'm happy with it as is, because I can use it wired via USB at my desk, and use it with LDAC for music on the go. Not to mention that I love Audeze. I love their house sound, and in my experience their customer service goes above and beyond what is required

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,392 of 7,693
Is it though?
Is voice chat a key feature for PC gamers? Undoubtedly. Is voice chat that works over Bluetooth a key feature for PC gamers? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I can't stand using a wired headset at the computer - the wires are always getting caught up in my chair. I also use my headphones for a lot more than just gaming, and it's super convenient to be able to get up to get a drink, stretch, do some chores, etc., without having to pause the podcast or whatever I'm listening to.

The greater point I'm making though is that it's completely reasonable for a consumer to expect a product's features to be usable at the same time. To the extent they aren't, that should be clearly spelled out in the product literature. That's the main thing I take issue with here.

May 10, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,393 of 7,693
Get over it! This product is no longer in development! Just chill....... If you read the review on here, it actually sounds great on basic BT anyway. Wait till it ships and use what works best for you that's actually supported in this device. It's a killer deal and the complaining is insulting to this awesome innovation by Audeze.

That's really not a constructive tone to take with people who are leveraging their constructive voices on this headset. What works here isn't low latency unless you plug it in, which is a problem for people who want wireless gaming and wireless VR. With that in mind, these headsets shouldn't really be sold as wireless gaming headsets as the latency is too high. I'd much rather they advertise the high quality gaming potential wired and being able to take it anywhere with bluetooth as a nice bonus.

May 10, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,394 of 7,693
It's a USB PC gaming headset with head tracking, VSS and room equalisation.

It also has bluetooth and 3.5mm connection options in addition to that.

And?

It's not being specced or sold as a wireless or console gaming headset.

It's also not being sold as a coffee maker or toaster.

But it is.

"
Bringing Audeze's award-winning audiophile sound to the gaming world"

"Mobius is the first premium high-end, fully immersive 3D cinematic audio and head tracking-enabled headphone designed specifically for gamers. Mobius harnesses Audeze’s award-winning planar magnetic technologies to unlock the full potential of gaming audio."

There is even a picture of a guy playing a game wirelessly on their webpage for it. If it isn't targeting wireless gamers, they should remove that picture and clearly state that the wireless mode is not designed for PC gaming and that people should use wired exclusively for gaming. That is unless it somehow does low latency on the default BT codec.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,395 of 7,693
There's a lot to cover. There nothing particularly misleading. Just do your research and don't just make up the product you wish from partial information. This thread answers the same questions over and over as do the comments on the indiegogo page.

The full story on that page covers almost all the details. The campaign is over. You either bought them or you didn't. They're a really good deal and all the nitpicking on repeat has grown moldy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back