• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
May 10, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,366 of 7,693
It's a feature that I just don't see too many people getting much use of in its current form.

Playing a game on the PC - phonecall comes in - answer call.

Playing music playlist off the phone while playing a game.

Portable music.

Portable movie watching with head tracking (am tipping the lag isn't going to be as bad as played out to be)

May 10, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,367 of 7,693
[…]
Honestly, I feel like Bluetooth would've just been better left off, rather than the halfway solution it is here. It would've saved a lot of confusion, and could lower the price as well. It's a feature that I just don't see too many people getting much use of in its current form.

Completely disagree—Bluetooth capabilities are one of the reasons I bought it, and who's to say others didn't do the same? I'm not much of a gamer, but as soon as I saw there's now a wireless planar magnetic headphone, I knew I wanted it. The other features it has are a nice bonus for me, but wireless combined with Audeze's great drivers are the main selling points for me. And I'm fine with it only being stereo in bluetooth mode—99% of my music library are stereo only.

May 10, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,368 of 7,693
Playing a game on the PC - phonecall comes in - answer call.
Maybe - requires switching between wired mode to BT though. Might cause some issues in practice.

Playing music playlist off the phone while playing a game.
Don't think this is possible, since it'd need to play audio through both the wired and BT connection simultaneously. Never seen anything that will do that.

Portable music.
Yup. But there are plenty of other choices for that, and I'm not necessarily seeing what these offer compared to the competition. I guess if you really want a BT planar magnetic headphone, maybe. But then again, these are pretty "gamer" looking to be wearing out in public.

Portable movie watching with head tracking (am tipping the lag isn't going to be as bad as played out to be)
SBC lag is about a quarter second, which is probably noticeable for most people. AAC is is better, but not up to AptX let alone AptX-LL. LDAC I don't know about.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what people think when they get their hands on them in a few months.

May 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,369 of 7,693
My pc(aptx) to earstudio(aptx), when under optimal conditions, hasn't any lag that i've noticed. I may even use it as a source for the mobius on occasion :gs1000smile: An optimally amped, closed planar, ideally with a neutral response preset for music making is my main interest. I will probably end up using the 3.5mm jack more often than not. I'm fine with that as long as there is no added dac/dsp latency(3.5mm) for multitracking with my motu interface. I cant imagine there would be considering its marketed not just for gamers(console&pc) but creators as well. I expect there may be a teeny bit of latency( imperceptable for video but relevant for daw's) through the usb. @KMann Do you have any current data you can share with respect to wired latency?

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,371 of 7,693
This iteration was never going to be a fully console supported headset. There's licensing and lot's of technical difficulties. If a wireless standard is accepted in the industry for surround at some point, then we can talk about HQ wireless surround down the road. Bluetooth was always just a bonus on the Mobius. Most people are just keeping quiet because they accept that. It's a very innovative product. Maybe it will help pave the way to the dream do all, be all headset in the future.

May 10, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #1,373 of 7,693
The console support for the Mobius should be seen as a bonus.
What console support? The Mobius has none.

Personally, I was never interested in this headset for console use anyway (don't even own one). The disappointment for me (and others), is that it can't be used as a wireless PC gaming headset, which is the holy grail for a certain set of people. I understand why that's a difficult hurdle, technically, but after the initial excitement of thinking this could be it, it was still a letdown to learn that it wasn't.

May 10, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,374 of 7,693
What console support? The Mobius has none.

Even just using it through the 3.5mm with the head tracking on so the sound (stereo - no surround emulation) is focused as coming from the TV should be awesome

May 10, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,375 of 7,693
People are strange sometimes. It's VERY clear from the indiegogo page what this product is, and isn't. But people read stuff, then they add their own interpretations and expectations that based on these things it should be able to do as well because that makes sense to "me". But then they learn that it isn't possible and it was never possible or intended in the first place. So therefore they are now disappointed in something that was never even on the table to begin with.

May 10, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,377 of 7,693
Not sure who is being addressed, but there is a difference between interpretations and expectations vs. curiosity and discussion. I put my money on the table and am very excited to get these. This will be the 5th pair of Audeze that I own... but as much I love the company, I don't believe that precludes discussion about design decisions or to state opinions, which are only that. Expectations of zero constructive criticism creates echo chambers and stifles innovation and the potential for positive change and evolution. Part of the value of this forum is for vendors to get feedback from their clientele isn't it? Imho, fanboyism is destructive to a brand if it destroys the feedback loop between paying customers and the manufacturer.

In my case, the BT connectivity isn't the ONLY reason I bought them, but it is a reason. I jumped on this purchase as soon as I saw it given the nature of a funding campaign... I feared sell out, raised prices, etc. THEN I researched LDAC... and at this point I am just like "huh... weird choice". I know that Audeze is an expert in their field... or I wouldn't buy their stuff. But given the information I have access to, I don't understand the choice unless there was an incentive, or it is a gamble that the future will see LDAC become more accessible to end users. I can't even buy a dongle to use LDAC that I can find... support for it is extremely rare. Even so, I am considering upgrading my Sony ZX1 (for which there is no upgrade path to LDAC :frowning2: ) to a ZX2 just so that I can experience LDAC for myself... although I never plan to use the two together in a real use case.

I am just curious on the logic behind a decision to take a gamble on LDAC other than just it is better tech (so was betamax and so was minidisc imho, and I got burned by both of em :D). I wouldn't be so cynical if Sony at least made a BT dongle to make the codec more accessible... but then they donated it to Oreo so maybe there is hope that they won't only leverage LDAC as a feature to differentiate and push their own ecosystem. If it was just a gamble, that is cool too. I guess there wasn't a price / design sensitive way to support more than one of these protocols? Time will tell on ADAC adoption, and even worst case if it dies, oh well... I am not going to divorce Audeze over this or even bad mouth Mobius, I am just curious for goodness sake... I like learning stuff.

BTW, the primary article that I read to learn about LDAC in and of itself, along with some comparison to aptX, pretty awesome in depth explanation: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/

May 10, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,379 of 7,693
Like the product - buy it

Don't like it - don't buy it.

if but yeah nah would could should etc, - wait for the next product........... maybe

May 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,380 of 7,693
I personally just consider it being a bit strange decision to support AAC and LDAC but not aptX

- LDAC has like 0.1% adoption, it's future is very uncertain and Sony is the developer which has a history of keeping implementations for themselves. It might never exist a custom LDAC BT reciever so it might be limited to Android (Oreo or later) use.
- aptX has a dozen of 3rd party BT recievers usually ranging from like 10 - $35. Buy one of those and you can utilize it with almost any device
- Even if I wanted I couldn't get lag-free BT connection with Mobius on PC or TV use for example, because there's no dongles to buy to make it happen
- aptX Low Latency has the lowest latency of all bluetooth connectivity methods (low latency & gaming go hand in hand from a marketing standpoint, again it's targeted perhaps primarily towards PC gaming so anything which supports lower latencies even if USB is the primary connectivity intended, should be encouraged to adopt)
- The Mobius is marketed as PC gaming headset, yet it doesn't support Bluetooth PC connectivity properly, yet it adds Android & iOS support (music listening primarily intended, which is more a side use)
- Cost? If it adds around $5 to manufacturing cost, it should be a given, at ~$10 it should still be an easy decision to add it to better support its intended useage scenarios
- Even low-cost chinese phones support aptX! My previous $120 Cubot brand chinese phone did, doubt it's very expensive to add

I'm just disappointed in the decision about it supporting LDAC and AAC but not aptX, I'd personally see aptX for its wide adoption rate being the most important. I guess I'd appriciate if Audeze could share some details as to why support both LDAC and AAC but not aptX.

Having said that, even if it only would do USB connected PC gaming nicely, it would still be a great product for its built-in headtracking and very likely good bang-for-buck audio quality due Planar Magnetic. It just irritates me about regarding the lack of aptX support as it could be a lot more universal in useage scenarios and I fail to see the reason to not support it from a logical decision standpoint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back