• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3,166 of 7,693
I think Mobius is a platform that Audeze can build off of for decades to come. I’ll need to get my ears in a pair to test my assumptions but this is the future of the headphone industry and I wouldn’t be surprised if in 10 years all of Audeze’s lineup had a “Mobius” option; that is, an integrated amp/DAC with multiple inputs including lossless Bluetooth and potentially proprietary codecs that enable wireless 5.1/7.1.

So rather than an open-back Mobius, I think it’s possible we’ll also see other lines of headphones from Audeze incorporate tech from Mobius as a stepping stone to at least my vision of the future of the headphone industry: wireless with a powerful integrated DAC/amp and versatility beyond what headphones today are capable of.

Edit: I’m not even sure that Audeze has the same grand vision for Mobius, but I think it’s inevitable that in our lifetime (and soon!) consumer products will transition away from the analog 3.5mm in favor of better forms of data transmission. This is just one of the first products to fit that mold, intentionally or not.

Edit 2: For example, USB is required for 5.1/7.1 mixes which the analog 3.5mm cannot provide. Meanwhile Bluetooth adds a layer of convenience with the same level of quality up to a certain bitrate. The 3.5mm can’t be used with an external amplifier since Mobius is active nor can it charge the headphones as USB can so it’s really just there to be utilized when the other two inputs can’t be used. (Such as with specific consoles.)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,167 of 7,693
For me open back is primarily a matter of comfort; I find closed-back simply too warm-wearing for longer sessions.

I use simulated surround (using HeSuVi) on my HD6XX's (over bluetooth via an Earstudio ES100 no less), and find it quite convincing at putting you "in the room" with 7.1 content. Maybe closed-back is theoretically better, but this setup certainly works well enough for me.

Just like you said, it's not that it doesn't work. It's just not working as well. But seeing how Mobius whole spiel is pretty much DSP corrections an open back would render that work superfluous.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3,168 of 7,693
To those wanting an open back version, where exactly are they going to store all the electronics do you imagine? Considering the mobo basically covers the entire backside of the headphone.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #3,169 of 7,693
To those wanting an open back version, where exactly are they going to store all the electronics do you imagine? Considering the mobo basically covers the entire backside of the headphone.
I guess it depends how much real estate the head tracking/DSP electronics take up. But if they can manage a battery+BT receiver in an Apple Earpod, I'm sure they can figure something out with a set of full size headphones. AIAIAI puts the electronics in the headband.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,170 of 7,693
I want them closed like they are. Mainly because I’d like to use them when I’m out and about. One of the great powers of these headphones is that you can take that 7.1 surround sound with you on a train/car/airplane provided you bring your laptop of course.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #3,171 of 7,693
I want them closed like they are. Mainly because I’d like to use them when I’m out and about. One of the great powers of these headphones is that you can take that 7.1 surround sound with you on a train/car/airplane provided you bring your laptop of course.

Agreed.

What's that, I get to wash dishes with a wireless pair of virtual speakers strapped to my head? Yep, mhm, I'm so down.

The main thing I'd want in future concepts is a mic positioned in/on each cup to pick up ambient noise then allowing us to mix that ambient noise with the emulation. It would take some work to get it perfect but I think that's an important step to creating true virtualized speakers

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #3,172 of 7,693
Closed-back BT headphones are already a dime a dozen, as are closed-back gaming headsets. Meanwhile, open-back are virtually nonexistent. Ideally, the Mobius line would be expanded to include both. But for now, this is me casting a vote for an open-back option.

What's that, I get to wash dishes with a wireless pair of virtual speakers strapped to my head? Yep, mhm, I'm so down.
I think you'd want to turn off the head tracking in that case, since I believe it expects you to be within a certain space in front of the speakers. If you go outside that space, I imagine it will just sound like the speakers are far off to one side. Although, maybe it auto-disables when you get out of range? That would make sense to do.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #3,173 of 7,693
I'd like an open back version as well.

Down the line, I hope they can develop a new model with proprietary wireless with more bandwidth than bluetooth affords, to allow for true wireless 5.1 + headtracking + spatialization and a mic return. They'd need to develop and bundle it with its own transceiver (hopefully with an optical input), and I would expect the cost to increase by 50%+, but this would be the ultimate endgame gaming headset for a lot of people, IMO.
For true wireless, the problem is still the bandwidth for 5.1. There are no chipsets in the market that do 5.1 wirelessly. Some patents on 5.1 compression for transmission have expired in the last year. So it is possible some new chipsets might emerge that enable this.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #3,174 of 7,693

You could still embed sensors into the headphone but the amp/dac portion could be on a separate controller like the MixAmp. Currently, the Mobius' special features only work when used wired anyway.

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #3,175 of 7,693
The only way to stream 5.1 wirelessly would be over WiFi with a technology such as Apple’s AirPlay, which does stream 5.1 losslessly. Unfortunately so far Apple has only licensed AirPlay for use in speakers and receivers. It would be incredible to see AirPlay in a pair of headphones, especially since most movie-watching is done at home so the WiFi limitation wouldn’t be an issue. Or a proprietary WiFi-based tech built into the Mobius app.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,176 of 7,693
For true wireless, the problem is still the bandwidth for 5.1. There are no chipsets in the market that do 5.1 wirelessly. Some patents on 5.1 compression for transmission have expired in the last year. So it is possible some new chipsets might emerge that enable this.
I assume you're aware of it already, but what about KleerNet? They list wireless 5.1/7.1 among the applications.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #3,178 of 7,693
Personally, I really don't care about wireless surround at this point. Not at all..... You could do it with the use of a breakout box and two way Bluetooth for head tracking..... Process the signal in the break out box and send two channel back to the headphone. That way you could also make specific console edition surround decoding boxes. You could license one to work with apple tv. Or get a box with multiple licenses. License fees included in the price. But I could care less about that personally. Let's see how the Mobius sells.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #3,179 of 7,693
Closed-back BT headphones are already a dime a dozen, as are closed-back gaming headsets

Because people play games late at night and don't want to disturb people.
Open back gaming headphones probably have a smaller target demographic...

For true wireless, the problem is still the bandwidth for 5.1

Easiest thing would be to just put it over wifi. Use an app to talk to Mobius V2 over bluetooth to set up wifi network parameters. Stream over wifi (no idea how much latency this adds though but apparently people who use BT don't care much either or they'd use USB connections :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back