• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #1,861 of 7,693
Seems our Axon 7's won't be getting Oreo nor LDAC unless we go custom ROM which I'm tired of doing these days. Already had a custom rom and went back to stock on my Axon. Maybe I'll have to see about going to a Note 8...

might as well wait a few months when the new Note comes out at this point, sounds to be like your burned out on phones in general and they are just a tool to use after all, so wait a few months, get the new Note, then retire for a few years from all the nonsense, and jam

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #1,863 of 7,693
My biggest curiousity will be comparing Mobius in USB mode vs AUX and speaker mode set to 5.1 / 7.1 in Windows for the soundcard for better surround processing and an analog amp in-between. I've just never liked any headphone as much without an external amp in between so if the difference is small AUX it is. I mean the surround processing is already now very accurate (and natural sounding!) over pair of stereo headphones when set the source to 5.1 speakers (that I consider better than 7.1 setting)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,864 of 7,693
Seems our Axon 7's won't be getting Oreo nor LDAC unless we go custom ROM which I'm tired of doing these days. Already had a custom rom and went back to stock on my Axon. Maybe I'll have to see about going to a Note 8...
They get them right eventually. Spacing the name of the ROM but one of the best has the source code from ZTE, they've been waiting for the go ahead. ZTE might release their own version too. They were so close before the trouble. There's a leaked version of the beta that has already got most of the bugs ironed out last I checked, released pretty recently. And then there is the inevitable next phone that we get to replace it.

Need that Oreo for LDAC with the Mobius.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #1,865 of 7,693
I wish Tyll retired with these instead of Beats. Would have made me happier inside.
Tyll did have a visit from Sankar (Audeze owner) to talk about the Mobius headphones ,on 1 of his Inner Fidelity episodes.

Now how long ago that visit actually took place is anybody's guess ? You can always ask Tyll to come out of retirement & wait around to review them after they've finally been released. (He,he,he....... Yeah, I'd come out my retirement (which I'd planned for way before the plans to make the Mobius even probably existed) to do "1" more review ; but where would it end ?)

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,866 of 7,693
Tyll did have a visit from Sankar (Audeze owner) to talk about the Mobius headphones ,on 1 of his Inner Fidelity episodes.

Now how long ago that visit actually took place is anybody's guess ? You can always ask Tyll to come out of retirement & wait around to review them after they've finally been released. (He,he,he....... Yeah, I'd come out my retirement (which I'd planned for way before the plans to make the Mobius even probably existed) to do "1" more review ; but where would it end ?)

As much as I enjoyed his reviews, aren't we actually getting these for ourselves? Lol! I can judge for myself how much I like the Mobius. I don't need them on the "Wall Of Fame" to validate my own findings!

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,867 of 7,693
+1 team copper

Pre-ordered with the discount a few days ago, was not in time for the Indiegogo but after reading 125 pages of this thread plus all reviews I could find, I can't help but to be excited. These have to potential to replace my Oppo PM3 and my Sony MDR 1000x in one go (noise cancelling is indeed overrated imo), and perhaps (hopefully) get close to the quality of my beloved Hifiman HE560...

I wonder if there is any chance that these will be detected as a generic sound card on Linux?

I think I've read somewhere that Linux is "not supported", but in my experience, these days most sound cards are detected and are usable in Linux out of the box, even when manufacturers say they are not "supported". Of course I don't expect Audeze's app to work on Linux without the usual trickery (VM's with passthrough, Wine, etc.), but if it is at least detected as a 7.1 or 5.1 audio device I can use it for gaming without booting up Windows.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,868 of 7,693
+1 team copper

Pre-ordered with the discount a few days ago, was not in time for the Indiegogo but after reading 125 pages of this thread plus all reviews I could find, I can't help but to be excited. These have to potential to replace my Oppo PM3 and my Sony MDR 1000x in one go (noise cancelling is indeed overrated imo), and perhaps (hopefully) get close to the quality of my beloved Hifiman HE560...

I wonder if there is any chance that these will be detected as a generic sound card on Linux?

I think I've read somewhere that Linux is "not supported", but in my experience, these days most sound cards are detected and are usable in Linux out of the box, even when manufacturers say they are not "supported". Of course I don't expect Audeze's app to work on Linux without the usual trickery (VM's with passthrough, Wine, etc.), but if it is at least detected as a 7.1 or 5.1 audio device I can use it for gaming without booting up Windows.

I'm guessing it probably will be detected on Linux. The companion app makes changes stored internally on the Mobius, so you can tweak it in windows and then keep any changes.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,869 of 7,693
I'm guessing it probably will be detected on Linux. The companion app makes changes stored internally on the Mobius, so you can tweak it in windows and then keep any changes.

That is what I am hoping for, though not holding my breath. It would just be the cherry on top of the cake!

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,870 of 7,693
When I A/B’d the EL-8 against the WH-1000XM2, it blew away the 1000XM2 in every way so I fully believe Engadget’s impressions that Mobius is the best-sounding wireless headphone as it will easily beat that class-leader especially since they both utilize LDAC.

Personal preference regarding codecs, but I love Bluetooth AAC due to the ease of use with Apple’s music services and that there’s no need to reencode AAC files — which gives it an edge over every other Bluetooth codec in that regard since it’s just a pure wireless transmission of data.

LDAC is definitely superior in bitrate and nearly lossless, but I’m waiting for a lossless format that’s as seamless as AAC. (Such as the ability to digitally transmit FLAC or ALAC without reencoding.)

Kudos for including both either way.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,871 of 7,693
I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready to hear these for myself. It's so hard to get a feel for how these are going to sound just by reading reviews.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,873 of 7,693
@Audeze Will the Mobius have equal loudness compensation as the volume is changed, similar to Bose's models? At the least I hope it has a preset which is adjusted for a comfortable ~65 dB SPL (+10 dB at 20 Hz relative to 1 kHz) like the Shure SE846.

The LCD tuning has low bass even compared to 85 dB SPL reference.

When I A/B’d the EL-8 against the WH-1000XM2, it blew away the 1000XM2 in every way so I fully believe Engadget’s impressions that Mobius is the best-sounding wireless headphone as it will easily beat that class-leader especially since they both utilize LDAC.

Personal preference regarding codecs, but I love Bluetooth AAC due to the ease of use with Apple’s music services and that there’s no need to reencode AAC files — which gives it an edge over every other Bluetooth codec in that regard since it’s just a pure wireless transmission of data.

LDAC is definitely superior in bitrate and nearly lossless, but I’m waiting for a lossless format that’s as seamless as AAC. (Such as the ability to digitally transmit FLAC or ALAC without reencoding.)

Kudos for including both either way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the WH-1000XM2 sucks. The bass is so weak and distorted - and I mean compared to reference with equal loudness compensation.

AAC files still get re-encoded - the system audio is globally encoded as AAC before transmission. There is no known player which bitstreams AAC files.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,874 of 7,693
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the WH-1000XM2 sucks. The bass is so weak and distorted - and I mean compared to reference with equal loudness compensation.

AAC files still get re-encoded - the system audio is globally encoded as AAC before transmission. There is no known player which bitstreams AAC files.

I concur. 1000XM2 sucks and has distorted bass to match.

All system audio is indeed encoded to 264kbps AAC but as far as I could find when there are no other sounds (i.e. just playing straight from the Music app) AAC isn’t re-encoded. Not that you could tell a difference in quality with this implementation.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,875 of 7,693
All system audio is indeed encoded to 264kbps AAC but as far as I could find when there are no other sounds (i.e. just playing straight from the Music app) AAC isn’t re-encoded. Not that you could tell a difference in quality with this implementation.
It's always re-encoded because it can seamlessly mix in notification tones etc. Bluetooth technically supports multiple streams which can be mixed on the receiver, but it has never been used AFAIK and I don't know if it works for anything other than SBC.

AAC is transparent even after 100 transcodings so it's a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back