Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,457 of 5,780
Never heard of Dekoni nuggets before but cool product...

You still have enough clamping on the ear pads / good bass with those things?
Plenty of clamp. The nuggets compress a lot and are very soft.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,458 of 5,780
I think im going to try to update the firmware today.Is this the way to go:

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-Mobius-firmware-using-the-HQ-App-for-Windows

Just tried this. Very nice improvement in sound quality--just more engaging, lively, but in a "good" not "artificial" way. Flat sounds better than
before and now using it perhaps more than default. Haven't tried it on games yet although it had already sounded pretty decent with the fake
7.1 on. I was playing the beginning of Terminator Resistance and a dog was barking from a locked upstairs apartment and wherever I went
the barking changed appropriately--even sounded "upstairs" when I was downstairs.

The procedure, however, is needlessly convoluted. Be sure to follow it exactly to prevent unpleasant surprises.

GL. I like this headphone better now after the update (also, my issues with Tidal--regular drop-outs, only with the Mobius; complete distortion of music after normal
start in Audirvana--seem to have totally gone away).

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #4,459 of 5,780
We agree. It will be changed, we needed to keep track of number of unique downloads as we pay a licensing fee for each download. Right now, we want it to be made available as quickly as could and we need to fit the process within the Shopify platform. We did not want to hold it up till the download process is simpler.
Ahh, I getcha. Makes sense you want that, but it's rough on you guys .. we just cost you guys money for a driver, one that I'm not going to install till a little later in a week when trying voice meter configurations. Just seems so backwards in this day, but your reason for needing the process this way is understandable.

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #4,460 of 5,780
Seems persistence does pay off from time to time... Tried the firmware update again tonight... it just won't install via the Windows 10 laptop I have... so I grabbed the Windows 7 laptop and got the DFU error again right off the start..so I uninstalled everything... drivers and all and started over again... including the ASIO driver setup was removed..... then I just downloaded the App again and started fresh... and it worked this time... Plugged the Mobius back into the windows 10 laptop and the app works fine just like it should... its the firmware that won't work there with Windows 10.... played back some music/video and it sounds very good... also as a note... the App does not scale correctly on the windows 7 laptop... I'll work on that later... all is good :) I really do like these phones....

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #4,461 of 5,780
Seems persistence does pay off from time to time... Tried the firmware update again tonight... it just won't install via the Windows 10 laptop I have... so I grabbed the Windows 7 laptop and got the DFU error again right off the start..so I uninstalled everything... drivers and all and started over again... including the ASIO driver setup was removed..... then I just downloaded the App again and started fresh... and it worked this time... Plugged the Mobius back into the windows 10 laptop and the app works fine just like it should... its the firmware that won't work there with Windows 10.... played back some music/video and it sounds very good... also as a note... the App does not scale correctly on the windows 7 laptop... I'll work on that later... all is good :) I really do like these phones....
Yep took quite a bit of work but it eventually worked out in my case as well.
Glad you got it working.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,462 of 5,780

Glad you got it going too. As I and others have said above, sound quality does significantly improve. Can take my laptop to the coffee shop and enjoy games or good sounding music or discord/video chats. Nice.
Btw, app also doesn't scale correctly on my Win 10 4k (nothing new here) screen. Could play around with it and fudge some settings and stuff but not worth the trouble for what's mostly a one-time app for me.

But, overall, quite happy and hope you will be also.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #4,463 of 5,780
Out of curiosity... Has anyone here in these 300 pages gotten Bluetooth Input/Output Audio working with Windows 10?

Works fine on my phone but on Windows I have to disable the Input Mic Audio to be able to hear ANYTHING.

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #4,464 of 5,780
Alright, this is weird. I updated the firmware to the newest (102/1.71/25) and switched to the ASIO driver (restarted mobius and pc). At first, everything sounded muddy and blah. I started playing a game I'm intimately familiar with and noticed that everything sounded almost like it was pitched down. Sound effects I had heard almost every day for years didn't match what my brain expected. I brought up the ASIO control panel and changed some buffer settings but didn't notice anything different, so I put it back where it was. But, now everything sounded like it was pitched up - voices seemed a little faster and definitely sounded higher pitched. I played music and started a stopwatch on my phone at the same time and made sure it was in sync for a few seconds. At 60 seconds according to the stopwatch on my phone, the media player on my pc had played over 63 seconds of music! I timed windows' clock and it matched my stopwatch exactly, so I know it's not a timing issue deeper-grained in my system. Perhaps a mismatch between expected sample rate (e.g. 44100 Hz) and actual sample rate (e.g. 48000 Hz)? Has anyone seen this before?

How can I switch back to the default audio driver for the mobius so I can see if that fixes the problem? Just uninstall "Audeze LLC USB Audio Device Control Panel"?

Edit: today seems back to normal. /shrug It was happening multiple days and persisted through restarts. I haven't messed with the buffer settings today though, will try that later.

Edit x2: Messed with buffer settings, turned off/on safe mode, but everything's fine. Guess it just took some time to sort out.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #4,465 of 5,780
Alright, this is weird. I updated the firmware to the newest (102/1.71/25) and switched to the ASIO driver (restarted mobius and pc). At first, everything sounded muddy and blah. I started playing a game I'm intimately familiar with and noticed that everything sounded almost like it was pitched down. Sound effects I had heard almost every day for years didn't match what my brain expected. I brought up the ASIO control panel and changed some buffer settings but didn't notice anything different, so I put it back where it was. But, now everything sounded like it was pitched up - voices seemed a little faster and definitely sounded higher pitched. I played music and started a stopwatch on my phone at the same time and made sure it was in sync for a few seconds. At 60 seconds according to the stopwatch on my phone, the media player on my pc had played over 63 seconds of music! I timed windows' clock and it matched my stopwatch exactly, so I know it's not a timing issue deeper-grained in my system. Perhaps a mismatch between expected sample rate (e.g. 44100 Hz) and actual sample rate (e.g. 48000 Hz)? Has anyone seen this before?

How can I switch back to the default audio driver for the mobius so I can see if that fixes the problem? Just uninstall "Audeze LLC USB Audio Device Control Panel"?

Edit: today seems back to normal. /shrug It was happening multiple days and persisted through restarts. I haven't messed with the buffer settings today though, will try that later.
Uninstalling just the ASIO driver worked fine for me. I didn't have those issues though.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #4,466 of 5,780
I had this happen for sure with the direct sound version, can't remember what cleared it up but hasnt happened in a while. I found un/plugging cable fixed the situation for awhile. It probably was a sample rate glitch.

Wish I could get the surround version of the asio driver working properly with foobar. Don't know if its the driver or my setup. If you or anyone has foobar, the asio driver and a moment, please test the surround channels for proper implementation vs directsound and do the side/rear faders work for you in the asio settings utility?

@KMann

In Foobar, surround and side channels are messed up and the asio settings window wont reflect changes when fading the side & rear channels. Is this asio driver anomaly only in Foobar? My install? Sox at 48khz was implemented. No other dsp's used
https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

We provide a ASIO driver for those who are not happy with the performance of the default Windows driver: https://www.audeze.com/products/asio-driver-for-mobius

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #4,467 of 5,780
Hey all,

I very recently purchased the Mobius and have become floored with the musical performance while using "high res" mode. I never knew it was possible to experience "attack" in headphones and have always thought that all headphones must be similarly quick and agile seeing as the speakers are so close to the ears and have so small drivers. I have found myself listening to old songs all over again finding layers and nuances in the bass that I have never heard before. This has got me thinking, if the Mobius, at its price, and do this.. Then what can the LCD-2 or LCD-X do for me?

So the question is, for all you knowledgable people. Would it be worth it to check out the LCD-2 Classic or LCD-X? I was thinking of perhaps pairing the headphones with a Rme ADI-2 which has a 5 band PEQ, as I seem to have read that the Mobius out of the box has better bass than the LCD-2. Any pointers / help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #4,468 of 5,780
Hey all,

I very recently purchased the Mobius and have become floored with the musical performance while using "high res" mode. I never knew it was possible to experience "attack" in headphones and have always thought that all headphones must be similarly quick and agile seeing as the speakers are so close to the ears and have so small drivers. I have found myself listening to old songs all over again finding layers and nuances in the bass that I have never heard before. This has got me thinking, if the Mobius, at its price, and do this.. Then what can the LCD-2 or LCD-X do for me?

So the question is, for all you knowledgable people. Would it be worth it to check out the LCD-2 Classic or LCD-X? I was thinking of perhaps pairing the headphones with a Rme ADI-2 which has a 5 band PEQ, as I seem to have read that the Mobius out of the box has better bass than the LCD-2. Any pointers / help would be greatly appreciated.

Didn't try EQing them, but I prefer the Mobius to the LCD-2 closed back. Much better bass surprisingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back