Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 1, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,276 of 5,780
That doesn't mean a lot to me as I dont really understand it but I think I'll just go with your suggestion of getting it and making a decision within the 30 days.

Also can someone clarify because some of the reviews i have read have led me to believe that headphones need battery power to run through aux, is that true, it seems kind of pointless of having an aux mode if true?

Heh maybe Ican break it out a little. Transient response: speed of the driver, how quickly it returns to its resting state. This is important for rendering microdetail, harmonics, etc. Espacially with the 3d mode as it takes the 2 headphone drivers to render 1 channel, and in a 7.1 mix you have the 7 channels plus the lfe(the .1, low frequency effects), as well as the reverb from room emulation, its alot of extra information compared to normal 2 channel stereo headphone listening. The standard drivers in most gaming headsets just can't compare to the planar magnetic / orthodynamic drivers in the Mobius.

Bass performance as in extension, which is plainly seen in the frequency response, but transient response applies here too, with lesser drivers the ability to render excessive sub bass faulters and becomes boomy and undefined.

Imaging would be the drivers ability to... well.. image... or create a sense of space and accurately place sound in a mix, imagine an acoustic piano in a room, and a well recorded and mastered stereo mix, the piano will fill the whole stage, and youll be able to "see"/hear keys being struck to the left right center and in between. This is also very important for virtual surround.

As cripple1 said, the aux input still uses battery power. If your use case is not with a PC you won't get 7.1 sound also.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,278 of 5,780
I should use the 8ch mode for gaming right?

My unit is having some slight balancing issue. I feel like the left cup is louder than the one on the right. Like 55%-45% maybe. Can’t help but to notice it.

Just in case, have you pressed the 'center' button to center your headphones according to where you are looking?
Might sound dumb, but I have a friend who had exactly the same experience as you and then realised he had not centered them!

Oct 2, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,280 of 5,780
Just got mine today. They sound fantastic out of the box for music and gaming. Haven’t had any problems.

Mic is literal trash though and discord voices sound wonky

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,281 of 5,780
Just got mine today. They sound fantastic out of the box for music and gaming. Haven’t had any problems.

Mic is literal trash though and discord voices sound wonky

Try adjusting the room ambiance in the Windows app, it has a large effect on how voices sound not only in discord, but also in games/movies. Voices sound very metallic to me when this setting is too high. I settled on mine at a setting of 29 - it still gives the "expanded room" feeling to the sound stage but mostly removed the metallic sound/reverb you get from it being turned up.

Audeze has already confirmed they are working on adjustments for the mic that we will hopefully hear about soon.

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,282 of 5,780
Just in case, have you pressed the 'center' button to center your headphones according to where you are looking?
Might sound dumb, but I have a friend who had exactly the same experience as you and then realised he had not centered them!
Yes, tried it. And it’s very noticable when I turn 3D off. Stereo mode, sounds like the left is a tad louder.

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,284 of 5,780
Here are my comparative measurements AUDEZE Mobius vs. AUDEZE LCD-2 Revision 2 pre Fazor, as you can see they are quite close in frequency response, so they are soundwise.

Depending on the recording the LCD2r2pF (that's an identifier!) can sound a bit honky or shouty while a tiny bit dark, on others it's perfectly OK.
The LCD's sounds can vary quite an amount when seated differently, as there is ample space within the pads.
The Mobius is more consistent with it's more restricted pads cutout. Still a little up and down placement makes a difference.

On the Mobius I would trade in 2dB of 3kHz for 2dB at 12k, that's it.
The little coloration at 3K makes some acoustic instruments sound a bit artificial and makes the soundstage a tiny bit constricted. But this is more than outweighted when you switch to 3-D, provided you have set your head measures correctly the sounds opens up and gets more natural, not to mention the enormous soundstage.

The Mobius is much more forgiving on different recording's, yet very transparent.
The LCD's bass sounds dryer, but it's hard to decide if this isn't simply the consequence of non-elevated subbass and more midrange.
The Mobius's bass is deep and full but not to punchy, although it can hit hard if it's in the recording.
I found LCD2 to be upper mids suck out. This is what Tyll calls the presence region and quite important with our hearing with the music information. This is where the dark comes from and you can imagine it's not subtle as I find the Harman curve slightly boosted in the 2-4k. I think the issues with Audeze planars is mids to upper mids transition, and mids are most times a bit problematic with planars. So, I don't really want an LCD2 sound.

If you look at HD6XX response, it's different. It's quite full in the presence region.

Rtings should have their own measurements soon.
At least I can get this if @Audeze or @KMann cannot provide a compensated graph. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #1,285 of 5,780
Heh maybe Ican break it out a little. Transient response: speed of the driver, how quickly it returns to its resting state. This is important for rendering microdetail, harmonics, etc. Espacially with the 3d mode as it takes the 2 headphone drivers to render 1 channel, and in a 7.1 mix you have the 7 channels plus the lfe(the .1, low frequency effects), as well as the reverb from room emulation, its alot of extra information compared to normal 2 channel stereo headphone listening. The standard drivers in most gaming headsets just can't compare to the planar magnetic / orthodynamic drivers in the Mobius.

Bass performance as in extension, which is plainly seen in the frequency response, but transient response applies here too, with lesser drivers the ability to render excessive sub bass faulters and becomes boomy and undefined.

Imaging would be the drivers ability to... well.. image... or create a sense of space and accurately place sound in a mix, imagine an acoustic piano in a room, and a well recorded and mastered stereo mix, the piano will fill the whole stage, and youll be able to "see"/hear keys being struck to the left right center and in between. This is also very important for virtual surround.

As cripple1 said, the aux input still uses battery power. If your use case is not with a PC you won't get 7.1 sound also.
The thing I have trouble with stating imaging, the imaging meaning takes a different meaning compared to speakers. It's hard to use accurate imaging and headphones in the same sentence. I could certainly understand the sense of space as headphones can sound airy and more separated in sounds. In terms of placement, we can have more depth, but placement of sounds on headphone is a tricky subject particularly with music.

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,286 of 5,780
I found LCD2 to be upper mids suck out. This is what Tyll calls the presence region and quite important with our hearing with the music information. This is where the dark comes from and you can imagine it's not subtle as I find the Harman curve slightly boosted in the 2-4k. I think the issues with Audeze planars is mids to upper mids transition, and mids are most times a bit problematic with planars. So, I don't really want an LCD2 sound.

If you look at HD6XX response, it's different. It's quite full in the presence region.

At least I can get this if @Audeze or @KMann cannot provide a compensated graph. Looking forward to it.
The Harman curve does not apply to my measurements, it's only valid if you use a very special measurement rig that they have. You cannot just use their curve on an a different measurement rig, it would need to be calibrated in their special room.
Only the range below 1 kHz is almost the same for different ear couplers, above they can vary more than 10 dB.

The LCD2 largely depends on where you place them on your head, in certain positions they are less dark then they are commonly qualified as. And the little held back upper mid range / lower treble does not make them intransparent.
Still the Mobius is stronger in the presence region but not by a large margin.

So I would not call the LCD 2 as built with a presence suck out, it's really subtle.
Maybe the version I have ( LCD2 revision 2 pre Fazor) does suffer less from that then others.

Here is the comparison Mobius vs. HD-6XX, the latter does sound a bit too strong in the midrange for my taste.
Still you see it's presence is only a few dB above Mobius, and the little 3 kHz boost in the Mobius is visible too.
IMG_0830.jpg

I hope we will get a custom EQ for the Mobius, like the cipher cable, so everybody can dial in his own curve.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #1,288 of 5,780
The thing I have trouble with stating imaging, the imaging meaning takes a different meaning compared to speakers. It's hard to use accurate imaging and headphones in the same sentence. I could certainly understand the sense of space as headphones can sound airy and more separated in sounds. In terms of placement, we can have more depth, but placement of sounds on headphone is a tricky subject particularly with music.

Ya with headphones I agree, but with a good virtual stereo system there's been alot of times where sound washes over me, feeling like sounds are beside and behind me, with stuff like floyd, classical, synthwave, or warbringer woe to the vanquished xD

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,289 of 5,780
So, I just got them. I have to say I am not impressed at all. They are shouty and boomy. I wonder if they improve with some burn-in. I have watched a movie with them as well. I think the sound for that was great. However, they are super uncomfortable. And the hiss. It annoys the hell out of me. It is practically impossible for me to use the analog cable. Well, will give them a couple of more days then maybe sell them. Not recommended at this point.

Exactly what I feel. Will give them a view weeks and a software/firmware-update as well (any news on that?).

Well said. It's been 8 days with the mobius and everytime I hear that hiss creeping into my content my heart just sinks. Such an expensive, stark contrast to the Earstudio and the joy it brings. I have sent a message to Audeze support and hope they will make it right. There will be a retail version with different packaging from what I've heard, not sure where.

Did you hear something back from Audeze about the hiss? (as i mentioned before, it's quite bad on mine as well)

Yes, on yours maybe. My experience on mine is the complete opposite. If you were to do a blind test on mine whether its on or off, i doubt anyone wouldnt be able to figure it out. Its not loud or that annoying, but its very very obvious.

Anyways, this is going in circles here. Audeze has already done their fix, and I am not sure if they are going to address the seeming variation between units. Some people hear almost no hiss, others hear a pretty noticeable hiss. Without direct comparisons, going to be hard to tell how much actual difference there is or if we all just hear it differently.

Totally agree.

So, for those asking in what modes the noise is audible, for my unit it's always audible when turned on. Whether I have a USB cable plugged in, or 2.5mm cable, or nothing at all, the sound is always there. I've tried 7.1 sound mode, both 2.0 modes, and all of the 3D options, the background sound exists.

To those saying my views on the controls of the Mobius and the fact the Mobius doesn't save last used settings is 'Making a mountain out of a Mole Hill', that's fine. That is your opinion. In my opinion (and, let's be clear, ANY review is simply someone stating their opinion) this does drastically take away from the usability and enjoyment of the headphones. I've now taken the Mobius around my office and passed it around my gaming friends, and close to 100% have said the controls are too fiddly and the settings confusing, to the point they would choose other headphones to use over the Mobius.
None of my gaming friends through the additional sound clarity from the Mobius was worth the compromises that they noticed. All would much rather use a far simpler headset like a Razer, a Sennheiser or a Kingston HyperX over the Mobius. The extra sound quality of the Mobius is simply not as important to gamers as Ease of use and comfort.

[...]

Which mode? Every mode unfortunately. Every source, every setting 7.1 to 2.0. 3D on or off.

Yep, I really don't like it doesn't remember any settings... Especially as I really don't get why a headphone should have a "surround" mode and "3d-audio". I mean, we have only two ears which calculate space/distance by the time difference the sound is detected in left/right ear. Any good game, music and movie should do that pretty good in 2018. Any Phase-altering-"magic" which the DAC may apply just totally messes with the acoustics IMHO. Listening to music with 3D-Mode on sounds really "wrong" to me (as in different that I know is a (more or less) linear sound). But I knew beforehand that I would not be a big fan of these modes either. I was just very curious about head tracking and if it gives me an edge in competitive FPS. Which it doesn't as it tracks my head and not the head of the figurine on my computerscreen...^^ obvisouly :wink:

I didn't buy the mobius for 3d or gaming i just thought those features would be gravy on top. I assumed audeze could make a top notch bluetooth planar headphone that was good for music but i was wrong.[...]

That's exactly my thoughts. Still will give them a proper try and will wait for at least one firmware fix.

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,290 of 5,780

My use case will primarily be with my computer but was thinking they could become my headphones for everything but that fact they need battery to function might mean that isn't possible but that wouldnt really impact my decision much.
Does it use less power when in aux mode or is aux mode the same as bluetooth from a power standpoint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back