Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,291 of 5,780
My use case will primarily be with my computer but was thinking they could become my headphones for everything but that fact they need battery to function might mean that isn't possible but that wouldnt really impact my decision much.
Does it use less power when in aux mode or is aux mode the same as bluetooth from a power standpoint?

Every mode uses power the same, except it can charge in usb mode. I suppose it's possible aux draws more power since an additional circuit is required to do the analog to digital conversion, but prolly negligible even if that's the case.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,292 of 5,780
This is not an option for me. I cant stand windows 10 and definitely not upgrading to any variation of 8. If the issues persist then i'll have to think of another solution for audio.
Oh great, it's incompatible with Win7??! I didn't read anything about that on the produck page:

"Do I need any special software for this to work? No, this is not an encode/decode system. Mobius is designed specifically to provide you with the ease of a plug and play setup. There is a software application for Windows that can be used to customize the headphone audio for those that so choose. This will work without any need for external software. However, the special Mobius Creator edition will require the plugins for VR and AR content creation. These will work with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Android (with correct USB audio drivers in use)."

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,293 of 5,780
Anyone else notice that 3D mode is disabled using LDAC if your phone is capable of doing LDAC 96KHz? According to Audeze this is a known limitation. Which means that anyone who has a good phone is going to have to fiddle with developer options and set LDAC to 48KHz every time they want to get high quality audio and 3D at the same time over BT. And since developer options don't save, well we're all going to have to get used to fiddling around with those settings every g'damn time we reconnect BT.

Each time I use these and try to use the features everyone was raving about I get a little bit closer to boxing them up, taking them to UPS and opening an Ebay listing.

The only thing they are consistently good at is 8ch USB-C in games with 3D, Hi-Res, and Stereo LDAC BT. But they are supposed to have so much more to offer.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,294 of 5,780
Anyone else notice that 3D mode is disabled using LDAC if your phone is capable of doing LDAC 96KHz? According to Audeze this is a known limitation. Which means that anyone who has a good phone is going to have to fiddle with developer options and set LDAC to 48KHz every time they want to get high quality audio and 3D at the same time over BT. And since developer options don't save, well we're all going to have to get used to fiddling around with those settings every g'damn time we reconnect BT.

Each time I use these and try to use the features everyone was raving about I get a little bit closer to boxing them up, taking them to UPS and opening an Ebay listing.

The only thing they are consistently good at is 8ch USB-C in games with 3D, Hi-Res, and Stereo LDAC BT. But they are supposed to have so much more to offer.

Transcription : They are only "good" for the following 3 things as opposed to the 8 things I want them to do.

I'm sorry what?

I don't understand what you expect audeze to do about a limitation of how Bluetooth, ldac and Android do..

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,295 of 5,780

What more do you want them to do? They do everything Audeze advertised they would, as far as I know (I really need an LDAC enabled DAP.. Anyone got one for me? Haha), and they'll be able to do even more than that with firmware updates that are coming in the future.

If I'm not mistaken, and I might be (someone correct me if I am), but I think that Audeze did say that when using an LDAC enabled device the Mobius is set to Hi Res by default and the 3D option wouldn't be available in Hi Res mode at all.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,296 of 5,780
Based on the feedback in this thread, I decided to cancel my preorder until some of the issues that concern me are addressed.

Contacted support and they told me that they will not cancel my preorder because the shipment facility already has my information (even though my preorder still won't ship for several weeks according to him). Needless to say I was pretty shocked by this response.

So I guess I'll just refuse delivery and do it the hard way. Pretty disappointing

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,297 of 5,780
Seems like the problem is that it has too many features, and between them there's conflict. My guess is that the processing capabilities of the Mobius is not enough for the 3D effect with Hi-Res streams, so at that point the could have limited the resolution to have consistent 3D, but they decided to allow Hi-Res (which is good for people that only wants to listen music). The Mobius are packed with probably too much technology that is not mature enough to work magically and that's why we are seeing some limitations in certain use cases. From my perspective the Mobius works fine, and the limitations seem reasonable, probably the only real issue is the faulty mics that a lot of people complain about.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,298 of 5,780
From my perspective the Mobius works fine, and the limitations seem reasonable, probably the only real issue is the faulty mics that a lot of people complain about.
And even that mic issue was, for the most part, discovered to be a driver issue on Windows devices that Audeze is aware of and working on.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,299 of 5,780
Based on the feedback in this thread, I decided to cancel my preorder until some of the issues that concern me are addressed.

Contacted support and they told me that they will not cancel my preorder because the shipment facility already has my information (even though my preorder still won't ship for several weeks according to him). Needless to say I was pretty shocked by this response.

So I guess I'll just refuse delivery and do it the hard way. Pretty disappointing

it sounds overrated imo, basically has no sub bass at all. didnt fit my head tho so maybe it was just a bad seal

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,302 of 5,780
Oh great, it's incompatible with Win7??! I didn't read anything about that on the produck page:

"Do I need any special software for this to work? No, this is not an encode/decode system. Mobius is designed specifically to provide you with the ease of a plug and play setup. There is a software application for Windows that can be used to customize the headphone audio for those that so choose. This will work without any need for external software. However, the special Mobius Creator edition will require the plugins for VR and AR content creation. These will work with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Android (with correct USB audio drivers in use)."

I tried mine with Win 7 and it had no problems at all (other than my misconfiguring Plex which is not OS nor Mobius based). Used it for an hour and a half, no problem.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,303 of 5,780
it sounds overrated imo, basically has no sub bass at all. didnt fit my head tho so maybe it was just a bad seal

Could be a bad seal. I threw it on the other day watching Iron Man on my MacBook Pro, switched the preset to RPG (sucked out the dialogue at times, don't do it) but I had a nice bit of rumble down low. Could actually feel it shaking the cans a bit. I wasn't expecting it. I'd like more than there is, but it was nice to get that deep rumble I've been missing.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,304 of 5,780
For those who want more bass - Windows has a Bass Boost in the audio enhancement options which allows you to choose the frequency and the degree of boost. Give it a go and see if it fills your need.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,305 of 5,780
People who need a device to be perfect, particularly one with a significant amount of new technical implementation, probably shouldn’t be early adopters...
This is why I said "for the most part". I'm sure there are a few mics that might be duds, but it isn't the case all around. Mine works perfectly with my Xbox One, Macbook Pro using Skype, FaceTime and regular calls over my iPhone 8, and for calls, Viber, and Whatsapp on my HTC One M8. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back