Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 1, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,261 of 5,780
@DaOchin I use JRiver media player with waspi output to my Mobius. It works in 2 channel and Hi_Res modes but not 7.1. Set your DSP to output sample rates at 48Khz for 2 channel and 96Khz for Hi-Res. And make sure to change to 2 channel or Hi-Res before starting you media player so the it picks up the correct iteration of your Mobius, it should appear as something like Hi-Res Mobius (Wasapi)
Hope this helps

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,262 of 5,780
@Zenvota @Drivenby Plex is now working fine. The only change I made (as far as I can see) is to set the audio device to default instead of purposely choosing Mobius. A big thank you for all your help!
They're working really well - dialogue is firmly placed in the center, soundstage is nice and wide, rear effects often come from behind me. If I was going to nitpick (and it's ludicrous) I'd say that sound from the front is not "in front" enough but that's getting really finicky. The sound overall is really nicely detailed without being too sharp. I have engaged bass boost but may play with that a little to get a bit more.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I'll put together a proper review for here when I've finished the paper I'm writing (or supposed to be writing).

I'll add a spoiler here though - I have no interest in bluetooth headphones, I would always go cabled instead, I had no intention of using the bluetooth on these. Hooked them up to my LG V30 just out of curiosity, set it to Best Audio Quality (thanks for that LG) and...wow....serious wow. They're excellent.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,263 of 5,780
Welp, it's been just about a month using these headphones...For those that either care or have nothing else better to read here's a quick update:

- Yeah, I wish the Mobius would remember my settings from the last time I shut them down.
- Burn-in, what's that? Seems to sound the same as day one and I've put in probably a couple hundred hours of usage on these things. Not that it's a bad thing.
- I just took the Mobius to a VOIP meeting and people had no problem hearing me. I also did test calls over Bluetooth; bro said I was loud and clear (or...just loud lol).
- It's not even a month and that rubberized coating is beginning to peel off around the headband, just as I predicted when I first got it. It's VERY minor right now, but ask me again in a few more months and, well, I'm sure it'll be worse than that.
- I played Forza Horizon 4's PC demo with the Mobius with the 3D on...WOOOOSH! I might just as well have been in that McLaren Senna because it sounded like it!
- I know it's a lot to ask considering Audeze really has gone extra miles to give us a product that's out of this world but...you know, I'd happily pay $40 if you sold us a "compact carrying case" where the cups fold down into the case. When I fold them down and put them in my work bag it fits marvelously. With the included case? Not so much. You make that and it's "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY".
- I think after a month's use the answer to "would I pay $400 for this headset" is a "yes" with some enthusiasm of the gaming side curbed a bit. A total steal at the $260 I paid from the IndieGoGo run. I mean I paid $250 for the NAD VISO HP50 that cost about the same and never fit 100% properly until I "broke" them in. Literally. I had to twist the cups so they rotated an extra fifteen degrees to properly seal.

And here's a question for you folks with more experience: How does the Mobius stack up compared to Audeze's more expensive offerings say...the LCD-2 (Open or closed) or the LCD-X?

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,264 of 5,780
@Zenvota @Drivenby Plex is now working fine. The only change I made (as far as I can see) is to set the audio device to default instead of purposely choosing Mobius. A big thank you for all your help!
They're working really well - dialogue is firmly placed in the center, soundstage is nice and wide, rear effects often come from behind me. If I was going to nitpick (and it's ludicrous) I'd say that sound from the front is not "in front" enough but that's getting really finicky. The sound overall is really nicely detailed without being too sharp. I have engaged bass boost but may play with that a little to get a bit more.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I'll put together a proper review for here when I've finished the paper I'm writing (or supposed to be writing).

I'll add a spoiler here though - I have no interest in bluetooth headphones, I would always go cabled instead, I had no intention of using the bluetooth on these. Hooked them up to my LG V30 just out of curiosity, set it to Best Audio Quality (thanks for that LG) and...wow....serious wow. They're excellent.

Glad you got em working xD

As for the front soundstage, to get a really big room size you need 2 things, real room emulation like Out of Your Head or the Smyth realiser, and sbig soundstage hesdphones, like the Sennheiser HD 800, my audeze el8s with Dekoni LCD Velours do the trick here =O

I actually got the Mobius and use them only as bluetooth headphones, the best xD

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,265 of 5,780
Hi,
I have never had any real quality headphones before and am looking at these as having a mic is important to me.
Currently I have a steel series arctic 7 headset and am thinking about either getting a pair of razer man o wars or the mobius. I understand that those two arent really comparable but I can get the mobius for 20% off so that makes it a lot more appealing.
I want to try and get an idea of what they sound like before I do buy them as I can test the razers at best buy. Does anyone have a recommendation of headphones that are common and sound similar to the mobius so I can hopefully demo some at a store?

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,266 of 5,780
I should use the 8ch mode for gaming right?

My unit is having some slight balancing issue. I feel like the left cup is louder than the one on the right. Like 55%-45% maybe. Can’t help but to notice it.

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,267 of 5,780
Does anyone have a recommendation of headphones that are common and sound similar to the mobius so I can hopefully demo some at a store?

Its tough to compare budget dynamic drivers to custom planar drivers. Tough to compare budget closed cans to a closed headphone that manages to hit a target curve really well. Tough to compare against a headphone that has built in head tracking. Really if you can order the mobius with a return period its probably best to just try. I cant see upgrading from your steel series to the razer being worth it though.

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,268 of 5,780
Its tough to compare budget dynamic drivers to custom planar drivers. Tough to compare budget closed cans to a closed headphone that manages to hit a target curve really well. Tough to compare against a headphone that has built in head tracking. Really if you can order the mobius with a return period its probably best to just try. I cant see upgrading from your steel series to the razer being worth it though.

The upgrade from steel series is due to comfort, currently the ear cups of the steel series arent quite deep enough and my ears just touch the driver covers which after an hour or two starts to hurt my ears. I would be trying the razers on to make sure this didnt happen before buying them.

When I ask for a comparison I pretty much am looking for a quality pair of headphones I could find in a store that have a similar sound signature to the mobius, obviously they wouldn't have the head tracking etc.
If no one has any suggestions I probably will just end up buying both and returning one based on what I think. Pretty much will come down to if I think the mobius are that much better or not seems as I am not an audiophile and dont really care what is the 'best' sound just what I like better.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,270 of 5,780
The upgrade from steel series is due to comfort, currently the ear cups of the steel series arent quite deep enough and my ears just touch the driver covers which after an hour or two starts to hurt my ears. I would be trying the razers on to make sure this didnt happen before buying them.

Ah k, with the mobius the cups are deep but the pads are kind of thin. When you first put them on your head theres quite a bit of clamp. For me they disappear rather quickly but some find them to be uncomfortable.

When I ask for a comparison I pretty much am looking for a quality pair of headphones I could find in a store that have a similar sound signature to the mobius, obviously they wouldn't have the head tracking etc.
If no one has any suggestions I probably will just end up buying both and returning one based on what I think. Pretty much will come down to if I think the mobius are that much better or not seems as I am not an audiophile and dont really care what is the 'best' sound just what I like better

Maybe the sennheiser game ones, but those dont even come close on the sub bass. The best advice I could give is see which headphones you can demo in the stores, go to the raw frequency response on rtings.com, and compare them to this:
upload_2018-8-31_23-6-19.png
Sennheiser Game One:
raw-frequency-response-l-graph.png

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,271 of 5,780
And here's a question for you folks with more experience: How does the Mobius stack up compared to Audeze's more expensive offerings say...the LCD-2 (Open or closed) or the LCD-X?
Here are my comparative measurements AUDEZE Mobius vs. AUDEZE LCD-2 Revision 2 pre Fazor, as you can see they are quite close in frequency response, so they are soundwise.
IMG_0836.jpg

Depending on the recording the LCD2r2pF (that's an identifier!) can sound a bit honky or shouty while a tiny bit dark, on others it's perfectly OK.
The LCD's sounds can vary quite an amount when seated differently, as there is ample space within the pads.
The Mobius is more consistent with it's more restricted pads cutout. Still a little up and down placement makes a difference.

On the Mobius I would trade in 2dB of 3kHz for 2dB at 12k, that's it.
The little coloration at 3K makes some acoustic instruments sound a bit artificial and makes the soundstage a tiny bit constricted. But this is more than outweighted when you switch to 3-D, provided you have set your head measures correctly the sounds opens up and gets more natural, not to mention the enormous soundstage.

The Mobius is much more forgiving on different recording's, yet very transparent.
The LCD's bass sounds dryer, but it's hard to decide if this isn't simply the consequence of non-elevated subbass and more midrange.
The Mobius's bass is deep and full but not to punchy, although it can hit hard if it's in the recording.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,272 of 5,780
Ah k, with the mobius the cups are deep but the pads are kind of thin. When you first put them on your head theres quite a bit of clamp. For me they disappear rather quickly but some find them to be uncomfortable.

Maybe the sennheiser game ones, but those dont even come close on the sub bass. The best advice I could give is see which headphones you can demo in the stores, go to the raw frequency response on rtings.com, and compare them to this:

Sennheiser Game One:

How do I compare the y axis? They dont seem to be the same units?

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,273 of 5,780
How do I compare the y axis? They dont seem to be the same units?

I think 0db on the audeze graph is 90db on the rtings graph.

I should add that even though the frequency response might be similar, and they may have a similar sound signature, driver performance will be drastically different, the Audeze drivers having excellent transient response seen in impulse response graphs, powerful full bass seen in 30hz square wave graphs, and even mid to treble transitions / great imaging seen in 300hz square wave graphs.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,274 of 5,780
I think 0db on the audeze graph is 90db on the rtings graph.

I should add that even though the frequency response might be similar, and they may have a similar sound signature, driver performance will be drastically different, the Audeze drivers having excellent transient response seen in impulse response graphs, powerful full bass seen in 30hz square wave graphs, and even mid to treble transitions / great imaging seen in 300hz square wave graphs.

That doesn't mean a lot to me as I dont really understand it but I think I'll just go with your suggestion of getting it and making a decision within the 30 days.

Also can someone clarify because some of the reviews i have read have led me to believe that headphones need battery power to run through aux, is that true, it seems kind of pointless of having an aux mode if true?

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #1,275 of 5,780
That doesn't mean a lot to me as I dont really understand it but I think I'll just go with your suggestion of getting it and making a decision within the 30 days.

Also can someone clarify because some of the reviews i have read have led me to believe that headphones need battery power to run through aux, is that true, it seems kind of pointless of having an aux mode if true?

They do still require the battery to be used via aux. It might be a bit pointless to some, but I still like the option as it allows me to use the Mobius for console gaming, which I couldn't do otherwise had it come without that option since I'm on Xbox One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back