Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,231 of 5,780
@Audeze @KMann

Regarding the Windows app - once you set the headsize, room ambience etc in the app, does the app need to be open for those settings to take effect? Should I always have the app open when I'm using the Mobius?

The room ambiance is instantly saved to Mobius and the head size is saved to Mobius when you use 'Apply' and save them. After this you can close the app and the settings stay on Mobius just as it does with our Ciipher cables. The head-size and room settings persist even if you power cycle Mobius.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,232 of 5,780
Apologies if this has been broached already - just got my pair today and not currently aiming to look through the thread this minute (I have spent A LOT of time in the original one!!!). I will, of course, read through each page sometime soon.

Is anyone using these with Plex HT or Open PHT? I'm not convinced I'm getting 5.1 out of them. Seems to work fairly well in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider but I'm just not convinced by Plex output. According to settings, it should be and it's certainly more 'atmospheric' than plain stereo, but.....

On a similar note, having measured my head and entered the numbers, is there anything else I should be doing to increase the 3Dness? Played with room ambience but it seems like that's more reverb based than spatial sound.
Thanks in advance for any advice from those of you lucky enough to have had these for a while.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,233 of 5,780
Apologies if this has been broached already - just got my pair today and not currently aiming to look through the thread this minute (I have spent A LOT of time in the original one!!!). I will, of course, read through each page sometime soon.

Is anyone using these with Plex HT or Open PHT? I'm not convinced I'm getting 5.1 out of them. Seems to work fairly well in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider but I'm just not convinced by Plex output. According to settings, it should be and it's certainly more 'atmospheric' than plain stereo, but.....

On a similar note, having measured my head and entered the numbers, is there anything else I should be doing to increase the 3Dness? Played with room ambience but it seems like that's more reverb based than spatial sound.
Thanks in advance for any advice from those of you lucky enough to have had these for a while.

For me it varies game by game. Definitely put your head size or if you don't know, just leave it on default. Are you sure you measured correctly btw? There's a certain poster within the last 5 pages or so posted the Waves NX manual about how to measure head size.

Anyways some games like Wolfenstein TNO and The old blood , Destiny 2, Dirty bomb , Fear 3 , The witcher 3 from what I have played make a HUGE difference! Like omg its like playing the game completely new.

Wolfenstein in particular, last one i played is just mesmerizing. You can hear the soldiers footstep super accurately. I had this one scene where I thought I had clearly killed everyone but I kept hearing something "in my back", I turned around and saw nothing but it was so clear in my head what I had heard that I just stood there for like 3 seconds and out of nowhere this 1 remaining nazi decided to unglitch himself from the wall and start moving again.

I played TNO entirely with Sound blaster sbx and NEVER did I get such an accurate picture IMHO.

Some games though they are not very impressive. Played Star wars the old republic (what a crappy mmo btw) this morning and the sound was "nice" but i didnt get that ZOMG experience. Overwatch is good but not crazy good, better than atmos imho. Prey and Quake champions were also not particularly impressive, definitely better than stereo though.

I think it will vary game by game but games with awesome sound will have even better sound. With SBX Destiny 2 was also pretty damn amazing but Mobius takes it to a different level

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #1,234 of 5,780
Fear 3 is a super old game of questionable quality but if by some reason you own it, the gun effects are spectacular and Mobius does an amazing job at creating atmosphere in that game. Foot steps, soldier comm, gun fire, it sounds like an action movie as it should . I haven't tried Fear 1 but my guess is that will also be amazing.

EDIT :

I think we should make either a list or maybe... yet another topic? dedicated to Mobius in games only. Like a lot of this topic is already starting to look like the old one lol... But having a completely gaming dedicated topic would be nice.

Things like :
What games does the mobius perform the best?
what settings?
what EQ settings?

BTW i also tried Rainbow six siege. Played like 2 hours actually tonight. It was pretty good. I don't think it was mind blowing . The game has a lot of random noises and environmental sounds, together with the super quiet moments it just had me panicking over every random door creak or water dripping. People also do an effort to be super quiet most of the time.

When crap gets going I could definitely point out where gun fire was coming from but it was a somewhat "vague" image rather than a scary super accurate image i get in Dirty bomb or Wolfenstein.

Its definitely at least mildly improved by Mobius.

CS GO I don't think benefitted much if at all. I only played 2 matches but It didn't impress me much. Will have to revisit and make sure I had the correct settings on.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #1,235 of 5,780
For me it varies game by game. Definitely put your head size or if you don't know, just leave it on default. Are you sure you measured correctly btw? There's a certain poster within the last 5 pages or so posted the Waves NX manual about how to measure head size.

Anyways some games like Wolfenstein TNO and The old blood , Destiny 2, Dirty bomb , Fear 3 , The witcher 3 from what I have played make a HUGE difference! Like omg its like playing the game completely new.

Wolfenstein in particular, last one i played is just mesmerizing. You can hear the soldiers footstep super accurately. I had this one scene where I thought I had clearly killed everyone but I kept hearing something "in my back", I turned around and saw nothing but it was so clear in my head what I had heard that I just stood there for like 3 seconds and out of nowhere this 1 remaining nazi decided to unglitch himself from the wall and start moving again.

I played TNO entirely with Sound blaster sbx and NEVER did I get such an accurate picture IMHO.

Some games though they are not very impressive. Played Star wars the old republic (what a crappy mmo btw) this morning and the sound was "nice" but i didnt get that ZOMG experience. Overwatch is good but not crazy good, better than atmos imho. Prey and Quake champions were also not particularly impressive, definitely better than stereo though.

I think it will vary game by game but games with awesome sound will have even better sound. With SBX Destiny 2 was also pretty damn amazing but Mobius takes it to a different level

Hey, thanks for such a considered post - definitely up for trying more games. I wanted to try No Man's Sky but it needs an update and I have real problems with that (long story, not relevant, Steam issue for me)

Problem is, Plex is where I really want it to wow me. Plex is a media server/client and my most common use will be watching TV shows/Movies when my wife has fallen asleep in the living room.
Typically we play games together, so they will rarely be run through headphones.

SoTR definitely produced more convincing surround, though I was still not super super impressed. After a little while I'll put my thoughts together in here.

If anyone had similar concerns with Plex and got a better result, please do let me know!

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,236 of 5,780
EDIT :

I think we should make either a list or maybe... yet another topic? dedicated to Mobius in games only. Like a lot of this topic is already starting to look like the old one lol... But having a completely gaming dedicated topic would be nice.

Things like :
What games does the mobius perform the best?
what settings?
what EQ settings?

I think this is a really good idea. The collective audiophile gaming community putting together a list of games that sound great with the Mobius could tell people what games it works best with, be a sort of suggested game list for others (allowing us to try new things), and be able to help others decide if what they play can benefit from purchasing the Mobius before they buy it if their primary use of it will be gaming.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #1,237 of 5,780
@Audeze @KMann

Regarding the Windows app - once you set the headsize, room ambience etc in the app, does the app need to be open for those settings to take effect? Should I always have the app open when I'm using the Mobius?
No. The settings are saved inside the DSP on the headphone. You can close the app, or even take the headphone to a different PC and the settings will still be in effect.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,239 of 5,780
I wouldn't mind if there was an eq option to add some compression to the sound. If the footsteps option are meant to do that than maybe up the compression a little bit since the effect is barely noticeable to me. Anyone else feel the same way?
They all do have really subtle differences. It would be cool if they were a little more pronounced.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,240 of 5,780
Sep 30, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,241 of 5,780
Has anyone been able to get these to work with wasapi push or event?
I've been trying to see if it's compatible but so far no success. This is on foobar with win7 64 bit.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #1,242 of 5,780
Sep 30, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,243 of 5,780
Sep 30, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,245 of 5,780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back