Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,217 of 5,780
I was listening to Mobius for over two weeks and I have very mixed feelings.

At first when I received them I was amazed by the sound signature, amount and quality of bass, head tracking and so on. I was very happy.
There was hiss... But it was not a huge deal as a liked everything else.
But recently something happened. It's hard to describe and even harder for me to grasp but either I'm deff or my pair lost its clarity. Bass isn't as punchy, once wonderful separation seems rather poor now, perfect amount of treble is now either muddy or harsh depending on a song.
I think I'm going crazy.
Especially that my "audiophile" friend told me they were superb. I guess I need to ask him once again for his opinion.

Aside from this: channel imbalance on different presets, mentioned hiss and hum different on every source. I also tried to take the earpads off but they seem glued?!

Built quality and comfort seems ok but my akg k550 are far superior in that regards as they are very light and made almost entirely of metal.

First, thank you all for the answers and ideas!
I think I found a possible reason for this behavior. My battery was critically low as headphones turned itself off while doing some Bluetooth listening on my way to shop. After that, I charged them fully and I believe that all the details, separation and treble I liked are back.
My theory is that low battery limits the amp and DAC and I think it's reasonable as my electric toothbrush slows down when the battery begins to discharge.

Btw. I highly recommend to try the Crash by Charly Antolini :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,218 of 5,780
For anyone wanting to use your Mobius with J River using wasapi Audeze recommend the following settings
Wasapi will work well for the Mobius in Hi-Res and 2 channel but not 7.1.
Set output to re-sample, via DSP, your files to 96KHz for Hi-Res or 48HKz for 2 channel.
You can then tweak away to your hearts content.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,219 of 5,780
For anyone wanting to use your Mobius with J River using wasapi Audeze recommend the following settings
Wasapi will work well for the Mobius in Hi-Res and 2 channel but not 7.1.
Set output to re-sample, via DSP, your files to 96KHz for Hi-Res or 48HKz for 2 channel.
You can then tweak away to your hearts content.

We have tested WASAPI drivers to work with both Roon and J River on either 2ch 48kHz mode 96kHz Hi-res mode. WASAPI drivers should also work with any other music player or DAWs that support it. But please make sure you put Mobius on the one of the two modes when connected in USB and then launch the player. In Roon you may have to relaunch the client.

Currently ASIO (through ASIO4ALL V2) does not work consistently and we are looking into it.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #1,221 of 5,780
I feel like some people must have gotten defective versions of the Mobius, or something else is going on with their gear.

Audible hiss - there just is none on my headphones. I brought my Mobius with me to work today and had 6 different people listen to them just in case I was somehow not hearing a hiss that was present.
via USB, via Bluetooth - not 1 of the 6 people tested could hear any hiss or noise floor at all on the headphones with volume near or at max. All 6 thought the Mobius was completely silent while connected with no sound playing.
This was done in a relatively quiet office setting. The only time I can hear any noticeable noise floor is via AUX with the volume at max, and even then it's very quiet and inaudible with actual music playing (not that I would listen at this volume normally). I don't use the AUX connection at all, this is only to test.

I feel like if people are hearing some kind of obvious hiss from the headphones then something is wrong with them.

Bluetooth cutting out - I've used my Mobius for hours now listening to music over Bluetooth (LDAC, Android (Pixel 2 XL), Google Play Music/Youtube Music, 96/24 High Res). In the hours upon hours of listening, my Bluetooth has never cut out, not even a single time that I've noticed.

The mic - the mic seems a little quiet, but in my testing...I've had no problems with it all via Discord or for phone calls with my wife. I've used it via Discord with a couple of different people now and none of them have had any trouble hearing me.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,225 of 5,780
Hi @Audeze Really enjoying these headphones but hoping to see more functionality in the software. Any plans, timelines you can share in that regard? Thanks
We have plans to add more functionality, some of which will extend Mobius beyond what it does today. There is no strict ETA. We will launch them when it is ready after some beta tests.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,226 of 5,780
We have plans to add more functionality, some of which will extend Mobius beyond what it does today. There is no strict ETA. We will launch them when it is ready after some beta tests.

I'm excited for "more functionality", truly. There's a lot that can be fixed/changed, or added with these beautiful cans.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,228 of 5,780
So what setting is the "boomier" or best for FPS?

Ballistic? I dont know depending on the game sounds kinda thin

It might sound strange, but when I want more bass in my games I use the music preset for gaming. Otherwise I have it on RPG or footsteps.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,229 of 5,780
Thanks for the reply. Can't wait for it. Plus the extensions!

Hope you will allow all the settings to be app controllable plus add manual EQ settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back