Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 30, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,246 of 5,780
So with the mobius set to 8ch, in the audio settings for plex its set to something like current system default?

I've actually set it directly to Mobius, tried setting it to 5.1 and 7.1
If I cycle the Mobius to 3D off and then 3D on, I can hear that there is a clear difference in the presentation but it doesn't really translate to 3-dimensional.
If I turn my head 90 degrees, I get sound in the front facing ear and seems like nothing in the rear facing ear - however, if I remove the front facing cup I can then hear that I'm getting sound in the other one but it's more like a low level copy of the front.
I have tried Plex and also VLC on two separate computers. On VLC I have made sure the audio stereo mode is set to 'Original'. In Plex I have made sure it's either 7.1 or 5.1
Trying the 7.1 demo that was linked in the other thread, turning my head still does not result in sound only from the rear at the appropriate time.

"Why does this guy keep turning his head?!" - because I am currently not experiencing a surround effect and the issue is either that I am very difficult to fool (which might be true) or the issue is in the setup (which I'm really hoping is the case, so it can be solved!) I have played with the head measurement settings (with an accurate measure as a base) to no avail.

I have a Yamaha surround system so I know my PC will output 5.1 correctly, and I also know which movies/tv shows have an impressive surround effect. Again, perhaps I am expecting too much...hence the head turning to hear a clear separation between front and rear.

Running on Windows 10.
One more thing - when my PC is using the surround system as output, I can right-click on the volume icon and I get a "Speaker Setup (5.1)" option which allows me to choose between Stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. I do not have this option on the Mobius - is that right?

Thanks for any advice/help!!!

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #1,248 of 5,780
Just tried the head turn with Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and it works exactly as expected.
So it would seem that neither Plex nor VLC are correctly sending audio to the Mobius.....

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #1,249 of 5,780
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #1,250 of 5,780
So it would seem that neither Plex nor VLC are correctly sending audio to the Mobius.....

Could be software based with Plex and VLC, have you tried any other players? I personally use PotPlayer if viewing on PC (rare) but haven't tested anything with the Mobius yet.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,251 of 5,780

Thank you, downloading now and will try this evening/afternoon.
Finally got No Man's Sky to load up. Wow. When the surround works, it certainly does work. Sure, not the same as a real world surround system but very effective nonetheless. Precision throughout the entire circumference is very good.
It really adds a new dimension to the game (no pun intended) since now my ears are as effective as my eyes in locating certain things. Really hope I can get Plex to work in the end since that's the way I stream my media and if I can get a similar degree of faux-surround, it would be incredible.

I'll report back on MPC

@Mani ATH 87 - Thanks for suggestion, if MPC doesn't pan out, I'll give it a go.

EDIT - didn't wait, tried it out. Worked perfectly. Hmmm....

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,252 of 5,780
I think the new Star wars movie (which are of debatable quality) have been a good sound proof for my Mobius.

They have very good sound direction and mixing. Plus the score is always solid.

I will say Games shine way better than movies with the mobius.

I have this thing with my actual real life 5.1 sound system too. I think the rear channels for most mixing is far too quiet, specially considering most sound system have smaller speakers for the rear.

I kinda circumvent this by manually increasing the volume of my rear speakers independently. I think it would be nice if Audeze allowed a feature like this in the Mobius, i know Razer and maybe the real Waves NX has something similar.

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #1,253 of 5,780
Thank you, downloading now and will try this evening/afternoon.
Finally got No Man's Sky to load up. Wow. When the surround works, it certainly does work. Sure, not the same as a real world surround system but very effective nonetheless. Precision throughout the entire circumference is very good.
It really adds a new dimension to the game (no pun intended) since now my ears are as effective as my eyes in locating certain things. Really hope I can get Plex to work in the end since that's the way I stream my media and if I can get a similar degree of faux-surround, it would be incredible.

I'll report back on MPC

@Mani ATH 87 - Thanks for suggestion, if MPC doesn't pan out, I'll give it a go.

EDIT - didn't wait, tried it out. Worked perfectly. Hmmm....

What do you have a NAS? You should be able to pull it up in windows and open the file in mpc hc.

Mind taking a screenshot of your plex audio settings window?

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,254 of 5,780
I think the new Star wars movie (which are of debatable quality) have been a good sound proof for my Mobius.

They have very good sound direction and mixing. Plus the score is always solid.

I will say Games shine way better than movies with the mobius.

I have this thing with my actual real life 5.1 sound system too. I think the rear channels for most mixing is far too quiet, specially considering most sound system have smaller speakers for the rear.

I kinda circumvent this by manually increasing the volume of my rear speakers independently. I think it would be nice if Audeze allowed a feature like this in the Mobius, i know Razer and maybe the real Waves NX has something similar.

I'm sure there are mixers that can intercept the audio before it's sent to the mobius and you can adjust channel balance. Used to use ac3filter in the long long ago.

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,255 of 5,780
What do you have a NAS? You should be able to pull it up in windows and open the file in mpc hc.

Mind taking a screenshot of your plex audio settings window?

I will do. I'll have to do it later as I'm already in trouble with the missus for messing around so much with the Mobius this morning!!!

@Drivenby There seems to be an option for this already with the Mobius. RIght click the volume icon and click on Open Volume Mixer. Click on the headphone icon to open Mobius settings (Windows settings)...then my memory fails me. I think there's a button on that first tab called settings or levels. It will open up an 8 channel level mixer. If you don't find it before I have chance to plug them in again, I'll find it for you and give better directions.

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,256 of 5,780
I will do. I'll have to do it later as I'm already in trouble with the missus for messing around so much with the Mobius this morning!!!

@Drivenby There seems to be an option for this already with the Mobius. RIght click the volume icon and click on Open Volume Mixer. Click on the headphone icon to open Mobius settings (Windows settings)...then my memory fails me. I think there's a button on that first tab called settings or levels. It will open up an 8 channel level mixer. If you don't find it before I have chance to plug them in again, I'll find it for you and give better directions.

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason sound mixer immediately crashes after opening. No alert sign or anything, just outright alt+f4's on me. So i can't open the level settings >_>

I haven't restarted in like a week, so might try that.

EDIT:

Managed to open levels but I only get 1 level, "headphones" .

Nothing else.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #1,257 of 5,780
@Drivenby - the USB C cable that came with the Mobius would recognize that it was plugged in / charging but the app and PC (WIN10) would not recognize the device.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,259 of 5,780
Received mine today. It’s huge!! But lovely pair of headphone. How to I activate hifi mode?

Its one of 3 USB Modes, Hi Res mode.

USB Modes:

1. 8 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  2. 2 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 16 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  3. 2 Channel Hi-Res Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/96 Khz, 3D Emulation enabled, Head-Tracking disabled.
Note: To cycle through these 3 modes, press and hold the Microphone Encoder (Microphone Volume Wheel) for 3 seconds.

3D Modes:

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #1,260 of 5,780
Its one of 3 USB Modes, Hi Res mode.

USB Modes:

1. 8 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  2. 2 Channel Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 16 Bit/48 Khz, 3D Emulation and Head-Tracking enabled.
  3. 2 Channel Hi-Res Input (Playback) - 2 Channel Output (Mic), 24 Bit/96 Khz, 3D Emulation enabled, Head-Tracking disabled.
Note: To cycle through these 3 modes, press and hold the Microphone Encoder (Microphone Volume Wheel) for 3 seconds.

3D Modes:
I see, thank you so much. Now I’m on the 1st one, maybe that’s the default mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back