Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 3, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #1,321 of 5,780
Would you be able to help me out here.
The primary use case for the headphones for me would be playing WoW, using discord and listening to spotify all at the same time. I dont think that 7.1 would be particularly beneficial here and I really want to keep the wireless aspect cos I like to be able to walk around without having to take my headphones off.
The other uses would be racing games and fps games as well as the usual media consumption, movies, tv, YouTube, music etc but that first one will be the majority of the use.
For that kind of a use case and wireless being very important do you think the mobius is a good option. The mention of 10 hour battery life has me a little worried but I also dont mind charging it every night or two.
They do charge while you're using them voa USB, so the battery life could potentially be extended beyond 10 hours. I can give it a try in the next few days to see how much longer, if at all, the battery lasts when changing while in use via USB. Also, if you pair it using the Bluetooth option to your PC, when you have to step away and unplug it, it should automatically enter Bluetooth mode and pair with your device/PC. For gaming I would suggest you leave it plugged in. If you'd prefer not to and wireless connectivity is an absolute must, the option @Zenvota mentioned for an RF headphone would probably suit you better paired with the waves or OoYH software.

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,323 of 5,780
They do charge while you're using them voa USB, so the battery life could potentially be extended beyond 10 hours. I can give it a try in the next few days to see how much longer, if at all, the battery lasts when changing while in use via USB. Also, if you pair it using the Bluetooth option to your PC, when you have to step away and unplug it, it should automatically enter Bluetooth mode and pair with your device/PC. For gaming I would suggest you leave it plugged in. If you'd prefer not to and wireless connectivity is an absolute must, the option @Zenvota mentioned for an RF headphone would probably suit you better paired with the waves or OoYH software.

Sorry for the double post, haven't worked out the quoting fully on my phone.

Again, the 10 hours isn't the end of the world, I'll just have to charge it every day or two. The wireless feature is definitely worth that. Very good to know it'll automatically take over on BT if I do disconnect because I feel like a lot of headphones dont do that and that would work for my use case as well, just unplug when I want to do something and then plug back in.

Do you think there is a better option out there for me than the mobius given the suggestion of rf headphones?

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,324 of 5,780
LDAC at 96KHz sounds dull and closed off compared to the expansive sound of LDAC 48KHz with 3D.

I don't know if it's possible since I'm not a sound engineer or electrical engineer, but as a consumer I would prefer Mobius default to 48K LDAC so I can listen to high quality sound in 3D instead of my options being low quality SBC+3D or 96K LDAC without it. Then fiddling around with developer options that get reset the next time I reconnect. The 3D makes a huge difference in the experience, much more so that the higher sample rate. My opinion of course.

Mobius doesn't default to 96khz, Android does. The point of LDAC is to carry a higher bandwidth signal and higher sample rate. LDAC is for listening to higher quality files. It wouldn't really make much sense for LDAC to default to a non high resolution setting.

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,325 of 5,780
Why is that? When I'm walking around it's not far so I dont think connection is an issue, just if I wanna get up and grab some food or grab stuff etc. I live in a small apartment so everything is compact.
Regardless, do you have any good suggestions for my use case?

Something about a limitation of using the mic over bluetooth with windows.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,326 of 5,780
Sorry for the double post, haven't worked out the quoting fully on my phone.

Again, the 10 hours isn't the end of the world, I'll just have to charge it every day or two. The wireless feature is definitely worth that. Very good to know it'll automatically take over on BT if I do disconnect because I feel like a lot of headphones dont do that and that would work for my use case as well, just unplug when I want to do something and then plug back in.

Do you think there is a better option out there for me than the mobius given the suggestion of rf headphones?

Not so much better as more convenient if you want longer battery life for wireless connectivity, but like you said, the 10 hours isn't so bad. Since you don't mind that, and you'll want the surround sound option they provide over the Waves software and OoYH, I'd still suggest the Mobius as the best option.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #1,327 of 5,780
LDAC at 96KHz sounds dull and closed off compared to the expansive sound of LDAC 48KHz with 3D.

I don't know if it's possible since I'm not a sound engineer or electrical engineer, but as a consumer I would prefer Mobius default to 48K LDAC so I can listen to high quality sound in 3D instead of my options being low quality SBC+3D or 96K LDAC without it. Then fiddling around with developer options that get reset the next time I reconnect. The 3D makes a huge difference in the experience, much more so that the higher sample rate. My opinion of course.
I found an issue when switching to HiRes, the internal DSP seems to become confused, until you change the EQ setting once.
Look here:
IMG_0837.jpg

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,328 of 5,780
https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app
The app is $10, the bluetooth head tracking dongle is $100, but its bluetooth so theres latency issues, the Mobius' built in accelerometer and gyrometer are much better.

I personally like Waves NX better than the Sennheiser GSX due to the head measurements and room ambiance settings. All these binaural renderers use different algorithms, different base hrtf measurements, etc. So sometimes you may like one program over another.

As for the best surround sound... you're missing a few options =/
1. Smyth Realiser A16
2. Smyth Realiser A8
3. Darin Fong's Out of Your Head
4. DSPeaker HeadSpeaker
5. I cant remember the name.. Ircam head maybe, anyone? Its a pro tools plugin that can decode atmos and render height effects with headphones.

I've used OOYH with diablo 3 and warcraft to great effect and the Mobius' ability to anchor those virtual speakers is a great option.

Yea Ive tried Daren fong OOYH before, the only thing I havent tried is the Smith realiser A16/8.

Is the smith realiser really better than Out of Your Head? I know it has head tracking like the WaveNX, but how much better. Please shed some lights.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,329 of 5,780
Is the smith realiser really better than Out of Your Head? I know it has head tracking like the WaveNX, but how much better. Please shed some lights.
You haven't seen the video of the demo they did in Germany? They set up an actual multipspeaker surround system and the realizer to compare and people were surprised how similar to real surround it sounded. That's how effective it is.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,330 of 5,780
Two things

1) I don't know if anyone has noticed it or agrees. BuO or maybe it depends on the game, some presets just lend themselves a lot better to sound localization.
Like for example i was playing a game on the "music" preset (first time) and the sound was very pleasing but the localization and imaging was not as clear as it once was with RPG , Default or Ballistics.

I don't know if its just me getting used to the different sound but doing several tests I thought the differents were pretty consistent.

2) There's a new device by Creative coming out, will retail for 150usd. Its basically a poor man's version of the Realizer but apparently its REALLY good. It was at CES this year and people were really amazed by how good it was. It uses HRTF and will launch soon in Singapore. Creative has special hardware to do measurements for HRTF but they will also release a phone app to take pictures of your head and ear that is "80 percent as good" as the real thing.

I think it's called Super X fi
https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

Im looking forward to the super x fi but it's 3.5mm out only :frowning2:
Which would make the headtracking impossible with the mobius .

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,331 of 5,780
Two things

1) I don't know if anyone has noticed it or agrees. BuO or maybe it depends on the game, some presets just lend themselves a lot better to sound localization.
Like for example i was playing a game on the "music" preset (first time) and the sound was very pleasing but the localization and imaging was not as clear as it once was with RPG , Default or Ballistics.

I don't know if its just me getting used to the different sound but doing several tests I thought the differents were pretty consistent.

2) There's a new device by Creative coming out, will retail for 150usd. Its basically a poor man's version of the Realizer but apparently its REALLY good. It was at CES this year and people were really amazed by how good it was. It uses HRTF and will launch soon in Singapore. Creative has special hardware to do measurements for HRTF but they will also release a phone app to take pictures of your head and ear that is "80 percent as good" as the real thing.

I think it's called Super X fi
https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

Im looking forward to the super x fi but it's 3.5mm out only :frowning2:
Which would make the headtracking impossible with the mobius .
I use the music preset for gaming as well sometimes, but only when I don't care about localization and things like that. I just want a tad more bass in my explosions and stuff. Lol

And why would the Mobius head tracking not work via aux? I'm confused because it works from my Xbox One controller. Would this app for SX Fi disable it for some reason?

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,332 of 5,780
Yea of course I would use it to game on my PC, I don't care about Bluetooth and all that jazz....So they also sell a separate WaveNX device? Do you know if it's better than the Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200? Ppl are raving about the SEnnheiser GSX 1000/ 1200....if it's better than those, then it would be the best surround sound headphone.....

I dont really care about how much it costs or how much it costs more than other gaming headphones out there. As long as the surround sound works really good in games, then I would buy it. Have you tried it for Diablo 3? Overwatch? World of Warcraft????

It's just kinda hard to belive that Waves NX is better than Creative SBX or Dolby Headphone because those guys been making those stuff for years and years.....I saw a lot of bad reviews about the Waves NX device that they're selling separately...

Overwatch works great. Better than Dolby atmos .

D3 and WOW have not tried it . D3 in particular is a top down action rpg, I don't know how the surround sound would work lol

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,333 of 5,780
I use the music preset for gaming as well sometimes, but only when I don't care about localization and things like that. I just want a tad more bass in my explosions and stuff. Lol

And why would the Mobius head tracking not work via aux? I'm confused because it works from my Xbox One controller. Would this app for SX Fi disable it for some reason?

The thing is Mobius will only work as a 7.1 device through USB . Aux you only get virtual stereo which is nice, and more expansive than the real thing, problem is with the faux surround of the Super X fi , it will only get in the way .

If you could somehow use the faux surround + mobius head tracking for 7 virtual speakers it would be awesome.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,334 of 5,780
Yea Ive tried Daren fong OOYH before, the only thing I havent tried is the Smith realiser A16/8.

Regarding Smyth and OOYH etc, we are comparing apples and oranges.

Smyth realiser uses HRTFs and works best when you use your own measurements made at the ear canal entrance (partialy blocked) for the speaker setup you are interested in. You then have to choose a very transparent headphone to play the PRIR back, Smyth also uses a headphone EQ to invert the headphone response you plan to use so that you don't get a double HRTF (playing back PRIR without EQ over a headphone will sound harsh especially near 3 -5k). But keep in mind you are comparing Mobius priced less than $400 to a full fledged desktop setup that costs upward of $2k in addition to a headphone setup you will need. Symth Realiser is great in convincingly replicating an existing setup, it is a different use case, it is not portable.

OOYH uses (to my knowledge) measurements based of Smyth Realiser (using Smyth's in ear microphones) but played back using a convolution engine on Mac or PC. These are not personalized so for critical music listening, you will have to add your own EQ both for your ears and for the headphone you choose, but does not do head-tracking and is not available for mobile platforms.

Mobius uses Nx algorithms for the surround processing for a convincing image (though not like a true floor standing speakers several feet away, but more like studio monitors), presets already account for the native response of Mobius drivers so you do not have a double HRTF effect.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,335 of 5,780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back