Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #451 of 5,780
The 3D algorithms are enabled only if the input signal is under 48 Khz. Beyond 48 Khz (in Hi-Res mode) the 3D gets switched off.
There are two scenarios where this could happen. 1. Hires Mode is enabled and the entire processing has been switched to 96 Khz mode. 2. LDAC is enabled on bluetooth and the host (mobile phone) sets the bluetooth mode to Hires (96 Khz).
For the second case, you can switch the android OS to use 48 Khz LDAC mode and you can still get 3D processing.

When operating in Bluetooth mode, the host determines and controls the modes on the Mobius. For example it can choose AAC, SBC or LDAC. Under LDAC the host can also specify, the bit rate, sampling freq. etc. So in BT mode, we disable the manual functions, since the device is working in slave mode.
Thank you for the clarification. That does seem to be what I'm experiencing. I'll look to change the settings in my phone, and in the Shanling M0 and see if that is it.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #452 of 5,780
As a bit of a basshead, I’m surprised how much I can enjoy Mobius with the Flat preset and 3D off. They’re definitely versatile headphones that still have enough of a flat linear bass to be enjoyable on any preset. But hey, I enjoy audiophile clarity too :wink:.

Yeah, I normally tend to prefer a somewhat warmer than neutral sound, so I'm surprised to find myself liking the default preset more than the music preset in 2ch mode. While I appreciate the extra bass, the music preset sounds slightly more congested to my ears. The default preset definitely sounds more lifelike, and the bass on these has enough depth and texture to be satisfying even when it's not emphasised.

The music preset is definitely the way to go in 3D mode, though.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #453 of 5,780
Okay, so I really like how mine sound and they're also fairly comfortable, though I'm having a few problems and want to see if anybody else is experiencing it before bothering Audeze. Sorry for the fairly long post, I'll try to organize it to make it easy to sort through. Also these headphones are from the ride the waves shipment and was received on September 1st, so they shouldn't be the unrepaired version.

There's a fairly noticeable background hiss which is audible in medium to low volumes while sound is playing, and I obviously don't expect them to have a dead sound floor, but it's honestly really noticeable when sound gets down to low levels or when it's just a video somebody talking and there's dead spots in pauses of speech or empty time between speakers switching . Though at the other low to medium volumes it's only kind of annoying. This is on bluetooth, wired through any connection to any device, doesn't matter. Any combination of 7.1, 2ch, or hi-res along with 3d on auto manual or off as well.

The biggest problem is that after a while (normally >45 minutes) of being connected by either USB or USB-C to my desktop, it becomes less of a hiss and more of a high pitched ringing, which goes away as soon as I turn the head phones off, but is there when I turn them back on. This sound is even more audible than the regular hiss and creeps into absolutely everything. This might happen wired on other devices, but I haven't left them wired for a long period of time to anything other than my desktop. It might also happen on bluetooth, but also haven't listened to that for more than 30 minutes straight either. As far as I'm concerned this is problem number one for me, and it only goes away after I unplug them, leave them off, and come back after 30 minutes or so. Almost makes me think it's heat related or something based off of that. Just like the previous problem this the same regardless of USB/USB-C and combination of 7.1/2ch/hi-res and 3d man/3d auto/3d off.

There's also the problem that different EQ's have different balances of sound that are preferenced to the left or right headphone based on the EQ, like some other poster here mentioned some pages back. For met it's default music and rpg are slightly to the right, footsteps is far right and ballistics is slightly left while racing seems centered. Music is what I've settled on due my preference of sound, but it definitely is not centered on my pair and is most noticeable at lower frequencies. Only way I can solve this is to listen on 2ch/7.1 and use 3d manual and offset the center to the opposite direction of the louder can and turn back to normal.

The final issue is that based off the level of the Window's volume mixer's master, there's different amounts of hiss. The higher the master volume, the more hiss. Anything more than 50% and there's more hiss than the base that's there on bluetooth regardless of combination of settings or connection, and on 2ch it's especially bad at the >80% as a really bad crackling starts coming through at whether or not anything is playing. Granted 40% is enough to get the job done, but is some video or player is particularly quiet, it's no good. My friend that also has his own Mobius mentioned this as a problem as well, though I don't think the got the crackle on 2ch.

I'm not angry with Audeze as my only complaint besides these problems that seem to be unique to me is short cables, which whatever, I can just buy a longer one myself. It's also been other posters claiming absolutely no hiss/ practically inaudible hiss besides the noise floor which makes me think something is wrong with mine specifically, and lemons happen. I'll also separate any of my other things I want to talk about from these problems to not riddle this thread with my problems. None of this seems like enough to return over or sell for, but it's something I'd like to resolve myself with help from you guys or with support from Audeze.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #454 of 5,780
I was really counting on the Mobius for my flight but i guess this'll have to do...

20180910_001542.jpg

The pads (or lackthereof) will continue to cause ear pain for 9 glorious hours

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #455 of 5,780
I just did some testing of the Mobius' microphone, comparing it to the mic on my Sennheiser PC350 headset.

They seem to have very similar tonal characteristics, so my voice sounds basically the same in both microphones. However, the Mobius has far more aggressive background noise attenuation. In the PC350 mic, you can hear my PC fans as a faint background static, whereas the Mobius eliminates that completely, creating a completely black background to my recordings. My keyboard is also very audible in the PC350 mic, and would be very annoying to anyone I'm talking to while playing games if I didn't use push-to-talk. With the Mobius mic, the keyboard noise is reduced to a point where it's practically inaudible at normal listening volumes, and is barely audible even at high volumes.

I also noticed that the Mobius tends to filter out the sound of my breathing, which does occasionally have the negative side-effect of filtering out "H" sounds in words like "hello", making it sound more like "ello". It's a minor annoyance, but I feel like it's worth the trade-off considering the intended use for the microphone on the Mobius. You wouldn't want to use this mic for doing professional voice recording, of course, but that's not what it's designed for.

The sidetone doesn't bother me, but I'm also not sure I find it particularly useful. I honestly don't hear that much difference when I talk with the microphone on or off. The good news is that since the Mobius does such a good job of attenuating background noise, I don't hear things like my keyboard clicking loudly in my head, so while I don't really see much benefit to it, it's not offensive to me either.

So anyway, considering that the microphones are of similar quality, the Mobius' much better noise attenuation, and the fact that the Mobius is, in my opinion, a far better sounding headphone than the PC350, the Mobius will definitely be replacing the PC350 for me when I need a microphone while gaming. It looks like my PC350 has a very dusty future ahead of it.

(Also, I have recordings if anyone wants to hear them. What's the standard practice way to post sound files on this forum?)

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #456 of 5,780
@Audeze

I just got mine yesterday and they are great so far! I've tested a few Audeze sets in the past and these are luckily much lighter making long sessions easier.

My only issue is one that has been described here in the thread by a few others: the mic picks up almost nothing. Unless I am yelling or eating the mic, it shows zero sound coming through in the Windows recording window and also no one can hear me through any voice chat apps (with the input volume set to max in those) when talking normally. Mic volume set to max on headphones, 100% in Windows, loudness unchecked or checked. Nothing works and is making the mic pretty unusable at the moment. Any ideas on how to go about boosting the volume to this? Was planning on using it for gaming, but ended up switching back to my other setup for now.

This is using the USB connection.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #458 of 5,780
Yep, add me to the list of people.

Basically you need to have the mic directly in front of your mouth within about an inch to pick up speech fully. Any farther and it rapidly becomes too quiet to hear. I think it'd be good to have an adjustable background noise rejection setting--the current setting being the maximum rejection, and some scale to dial it down and allow for some flexibility with microphone positioning.

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #459 of 5,780
Basically you need to have the mic directly in front of your mouth within about an inch to pick up speech fully. Any farther and it rapidly becomes too quiet to hear. I think it'd be good to have an adjustable background noise rejection setting--the current setting being the maximum rejection, and some scale to dial it down and allow for some flexibility with microphone positioning.

If this was the case I would be okay. I literally have to have the mic about a millimeter away if not closer essentially inside my mouth to pick up anything at all, and even then, it only picks up if you speak really loudly which is not ideal when you have roommates.

In the Windows recording window, there is absolutely no recognition of sound when speaking unless very loudly with the mic right in front of my mouth less than an inch. (Little further than explained in the last section but no more than an inch)

Mic is in the right port, all the way in, etc.

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #460 of 5,780
If this was the case I would be okay. I literally have to have the mic about a millimeter away if not closer essentially inside my mouth to pick up anything at all, and even then, it only picks up if you speak really loudly which is not ideal when you have roommates.

In the Windows recording window, there is absolutely no recognition of sound when speaking unless very loudly with the mic right in front of my mouth less than an inch. (Little further than explained in the last section but no more than an inch)

Mic is in the right port, all the way in, etc.

I had that problem with one of my computers too. It just barely works with the other desktop. Make sure you're plugging the mic into the correct socket and that the Audeze logo is facing away from your mouth. Even still, I agree the background noise cancellation is super aggressive to the point where it apparently impedes picking up the relevant sounds.

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #461 of 5,780
Could anyone (preferably an @Audeze rep) explain how Mobius interacts with an external amplifier? I hear a clear difference using AUX mode on Mobius with my Cayin C5. I'm a bit confused how it interacts with Mobius' own amp. I feel far more power to the lower end with bass boost on from Cayin C5 vs. just adding bass on the equalizer of my player. The difference is really strong: powerfully hitting notes vs. just a more boomy sound with less power.

Also, is it safe for Mobius' electronics to use an external amp?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #462 of 5,780
For those using the Audeze windows software. How do you get it to recognize your head phones? I have my phones plugged into my computer but it shows as not connected. Forgive me if this is in the post. Looking now...

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #463 of 5,780
Could anyone (preferably an @Audeze rep) explain how Mobius interacts with an external amplifier? I hear a clear difference using AUX mode on Mobius with my Cayin C5. I'm a bit confused how it interacts with Mobius' own amp. I feel far more power to the lower end with bass boost on from Cayin C5 vs. just adding bass on the equalizer of my player. The difference is really strong: powerfully hitting notes vs. just a more boomy sound with less power.

Also, is it safe for Mobius' electronics to use an external amp?

I noticed a big difference too!

Posted it in my review and also here (with measurements): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-7#post-14459549

Seems like with Aux input, the bass is punchier and less extended. Measurements seem to back this up for my experience.

Sep 9, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #464 of 5,780
There's a fairly noticeable background hiss which is audible in medium to low volumes while sound is playing, and I obviously don't expect them to have a dead sound floor, but it's honestly really noticeable when sound gets down to low levels or when it's just a video somebody talking and there's dead spots in pauses of speech or empty time between speakers switching . Though at the other low to medium volumes it's only kind of annoying. This is on bluetooth, wired through any connection to any device, doesn't matter. Any combination of 7.1, 2ch, or hi-res along with 3d on auto manual or off as well.

Mine have no background noise that i can perceive. Whether connected to USB or Bluetooth.

Sep 10, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #465 of 5,780
For those using the Audeze windows software. How do you get it to recognize your head phones? I have my phones plugged into my computer but it shows as not connected. Forgive me if this is in the post. Looking now...
You might have to run it in admin mode the first time to get it to recognize the headphones.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back