Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #466 of 5,780
I noticed a big difference too!

Posted it in my review and also here (with measurements): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-7#post-14459549

Seems like with Aux input, the bass is punchier and less extended. Measurements seem to back this up for my experience.
Mobius' internal amplifier or DAC does not interact with the external amp /dac. The input to the Aux is fed into a Analog-to-Digital convertor. The digital signal is then fed into the DSP. The output of the DSP is converted to analog and fed into the internal amplifier.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #467 of 5,780
Mobius' internal amplifier or DAC does not interact with the external amp /dac. The input to the Aux is fed into a Analog-to-Digital convertor. The digital signal is then fed into the DSP. The output of the DSP is converted to analog and fed into the internal amplifier.

So that means Mobius takes in the analog signal modified by the preceding amplifier and does its own conversion of the signal. So there is of course an effect on the end result. Is it okay to use something like my Cayin C5 with Mobius via AUX input? It's a pretty powerful little amp (up to 800mW in high gain). I know it was good for my SINE, but I don't know if there's something I need to be careful with in terms of Mobius' electronics.

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #468 of 5,780
So that means Mobius takes in the analog signal modified by the preceding amplifier and does its own conversion of the signal. So there is of course an effect on the end result. Is it okay to use something like my Cayin C5 with Mobius via AUX input? It's a pretty powerful little amp (up to 800mW in high gain). I know it was good for my SINE, but I don't know if there's something I need to be careful with in terms of Mobius' electronics.

I'd like to know if it's safe as well, or if they're (any amp) is going to cause harm to the Mobius internals through double amping and providing too much power where it shouldn't. @TidalWave, you've tried the Mobius with your C5? I have a C5 myself and hearing that the Mobius is more bass light than most of the Audeze offerings I was wondering if it would be safe to use it with the already internally amped Mobius. Hopefully Audeze can give us an answer. How much of an improvement have you noticed if you have given the Mobius a try with the C5?

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #469 of 5,780
Could anyone (preferably an @Audeze rep) explain how Mobius interacts with an external amplifier? I hear a clear difference using AUX mode on Mobius with my Cayin C5. I'm a bit confused how it interacts with Mobius' own amp. I feel far more power to the lower end with bass boost on from Cayin C5 vs. just adding bass on the equalizer of my player. The difference is really strong: powerfully hitting notes vs. just a more boomy sound with less power.

Also, is it safe for Mobius' electronics to use an external amp?

I noticed a big difference too!

Posted it in my review and also here (with measurements): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-7#post-14459549

Seems like with Aux input, the bass is punchier and less extended. Measurements seem to back this up for my experience.

This is good to know, I possibly plan to use mine mostly with AUX and a fully analog amp design depending how well it sounds (which I believe should work generally better than digital with Mobius) and so if the sound is punchier with aux mode that's great as the digiZoid amp will take of care of the subbass range, the midbass it doesn't add though so it's only good if it's a bit less extended in the subbass area through AUX mode as the amp will fill in that missing range anyway and thus it'll result in better balanced midbass vs subbass output which is critical for EDM music.

I don't think it will be too dangerous to double amp as long as you don't keep the amp volume too high, better keep amp volume a bit lower to avoid clipping or overdriving mobius internal components. I'm at the 3rd lowest vol setting normally on my analog amp and 34 % on windows and it sounds great, doubt that would be an issue with Mobius either.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #471 of 5,780
There seems to be a change of sound signature during this analog to digital conversion and I don't particularly like it. I've avoided using the aux cable and just stick to USB or bluetooth now.

May try with other sources but my topping DX7 is a super clean and analytical sounding dac/amp. I didn't expect it to change the signature to have a weird bass hump and a drastic bass roll-off.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #472 of 5,780
There seems to be some confusion, despite Audeze officially clarifying things.

The AUX in is an extra conversion stage that doesn't get used on digital inputs. If you use it you are adding an ADC & DAC stage to your signal path that can only degrade the signal. Sure you home rig may have a fantastic high end DAC, but the ADC in the Mobius is not truly high end, judging by the spec.

So if the bass seems "punchy and less extended", it is most likely added group delay caused by too small a value of coupling caps, or the caps are X7R or worse, mangling the bass.

Stick to digital when you can.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #473 of 5,780
There seems to be some confusion, despite Audeze officially clarifying things.

The AUX in is an extra conversion stage that doesn't get used on digital inputs. If you use it you are adding an ADC & DAC stage to your signal path that can only degrade the signal. Sure you home rig may have a fantastic high end DAC, but the ADC in the Mobius is not truly high end, judging by the spec.

So if the bass seems "punchy and less extended", it is most likely added group delay caused by too small a value of coupling caps, or the caps are X7R or worse, mangling the bass.

Stick to digital when you can.

You summarized my thoughts pretty well with an added technical possible explanation at the end. Thanks.

Definitely didn’t expect the signal to degrade so much is my point. I only tested it based on some questions asked by another headphone forum since I had measuring capabilities. Plan to stick to digital only with these.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #474 of 5,780
I'm fully aware of the AUX case yet I want to use it that way (with an analog, no digital to analog conversion taking place, "amp"/EQ/sound shaper/IC filter with configurable 31-lvl finetuneable bass levels designed to be used with headphone jack). Doesn't obviously mean I won't use/test usb 7.1 mode for gaming but for music I reckon my bass needs for EDM listening won't be satisfied in USB mode especially going by the measurements meanwhile.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #475 of 5,780
Again, lots of salt. But here's my USB vs Analog measurement on MiniDSP EARS. Analog was using Single Ended out from a Topping DX7 to the Mobius. Digital was USB-C to USB-A cable to a hub to the laptop. Something weird going on in the upper bass/low mids.

There is a noticeable sound difference. Punchier sound on analog vs more low end texture and fullness on digital. My thoughts only.

Audeze Mobius- usb vs analog - Compensated.jpg

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #476 of 5,780
I literally have to have the mic about a millimeter away if not closer essentially inside my mouth to pick up anything at all, and even then, it only picks up if you speak really loudly which is not ideal

In the Windows recording window, there is absolutely no recognition of sound when speaking unless very loudly with the mic right in front of my mouth less than an inch.

Mic is in the right port, all the way in, etc.

I am having the same issue. The mic has to be almost in my mouth to pick up my voice at an adequate volume level, and then it picks up breathy popping noises as well.

I have tested with the mic volume wheel in both extreme positions and everywhere in between. I have tried every option in windows I can find for recording devices. Nothing makes it better.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #479 of 5,780
Mic issue still happening. @Audeze

Edit: Called their support, scrolled the wheel on the mic for about 20 seconds upwards. Mic is better now, but not quite 100%. Seems to be better and doesn't need to be literally on top of your mouth anymore though. (Mic still has to be at max volume to hear anything at all though, which kind of defeats the purpose of a volume slider.) Currently works at a finger's width away from my face.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #480 of 5,780
Re: double-amping, I was only thinking about that for on-the-go via AUX. I love the sound in hi-res mode through USB to my computer as is--it's not lacking in any power or impact for me. The bluetooth sounds a bit lacking in comparison.
Edit: someone asked about Cayin C5 : Yes, I prefer the sound via AUX with my C5 connected. The bass boost on C5 gives a more life-like quality to the lower and mid end to me rather than the more removed analytical quality otherwise. I don't mean the thumpiness, I mean say a singer's voice cracks lightly while he sings softly, and it's so much more immediate and noticeable with C5 connected (likewise as it did for my SINE). I've been trying to achieve this effect with EQ, but it's not quite happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back