Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #121 of 5,780
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (

Doesn't this game use binaural sound? Using this with the Mobius' 3d would be incorrect. Same with overwatch's atmos on.

And while no, headphone surround isn't going to sound like loudspeakers(unless you take measurements of your system eith your head, Smyth Realiser), it should sound significantly different than stereo headphones. My current system renders rear effects very well.

Im pretty sure in the original adverts it stated it cant do 7.1 on the ps4, but a virtual stereo system can be enjoyable.

If you've actually gamed with real surround sound speakers or even used headphones with virtual surround sound like Turtle Beach you can really tell the difference

I've tested dolby headphone with dynamics similar to the turtle beachs and waves nx with planars similar to the mobius, and yes you can really tell a difference, waves nx and the planars are much more detailed and accurate, with a larger 3d space. I'm confused by your statement about head tracking though, you described how it works with a negative connotation? When you move your head when listening to loudspeakers, the sound stays put... so...?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #122 of 5,780
Well if what you say is true, then maybe the games aren't sending the audio to me properly. I'm installing Outlast right now... that's a game that I've for sure played with really good surround sound before. Might try a couple rounds of PUBG too since that's been mentioned. What games are giving you proper surround sound?

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #124 of 5,780
Well if what you say is true, then maybe the games aren't sending the audio to me properly. I'm installing Outlast right now... that's a game that I've for sure played with really good surround sound before. Might try a couple rounds of PUBG too since that's been mentioned. What games are giving you proper surround sound?

Overwatch atmos on, mobius 3d off and vice versa.

Hellblade im not sure how this works, if its sending a binaural signal then turn the mobius 3d off, if itssending 7.1 then 3d on.

For most games that send 7.1 just set the mobius to 7.1 3d on.

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #125 of 5,780
I played a few games of PUBG and I thought I could hear footsteps better than my old setup of grado PS500 or sony 1000mx2 running through my audio-gd dac/amp.
I would hope so considering those wouldn't normally be considered gaming headsets. The fact you said "I thought" and you didn't notice a huge difference is a bit worrying actually.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #126 of 5,780
Looks like you are still outputting stereo to the headphones if you are not hearing any audio cues behind you. Call our support line on tuesday and we will walk you through Overwatch setup, so you can hear it properly.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #127 of 5,780
I would hope so considering these wouldn't normally be considered gaming headsets. The fact you said "I thought" and you didn't notice a huge difference is a bit worrying actually.

Hah what a typical headfi response, taking a statement and overblowing it.

I used that qualifier ("I think") because it was my experience, and I only played for 15 minutes. Also the fact that you think those other headphones are poor just because they are not gaming oriented makes me think you have set very unrealistic expectations for the Mobius.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #128 of 5,780
Playing PUBG was a MUCH better experience and audio was definitely coming in from all directions. Although twice I had a plane fly over my head and it never really sounded "above" me. I was very accurately able to follow the direction of gunshots and vehicles though.

A bit more optimistic than my early tests for sure.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #129 of 5,780
Tell me the proper settings then. I've tested with each cable, I've tested all the presets and modes. What am I missing?

You can confirm the output in windows by going to Sound in the control panel and clicking configure on the mobius.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #130 of 5,780
Playing PUBG was a MUCH better experience and audio was definitely coming in from all directions. Although twice I had a plane fly over my head and it never really sounded "above" me. I was very accurately able to follow the direction of gunshots and vehicles though.

A bit more optimistic than my early tests for sure.

Great! Getting overhead effects will probably only happen in overwatch with atmos on and the mobius running with 3d off

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #131 of 5,780
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #132 of 5,780
@Scrub McGrub have this installed and setup?

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-hq-application

Can adjust room size and your head size.

Yeah that was one of the first things I tried, it's accurately tracking my head and I experimented with all the settings there. It seems my experience is really drastically different depending on the game. Overwatch does not do very well regardless of turning atmos on and off and 3D on and off..... PUBG is great though. Outlast also works very well.

Also I know burn in is kind of a superstition... but after a day even just playing a twitch stream in the background sounds richer and better than before. Its the same default EQ setting too.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #133 of 5,780
Also I know burn in is kind of a superstition... but after a day even just playing a twitch stream in the background sounds richer and better than before. Its the same default EQ setting too.

My pair of he400is were so f'ing bright out of the box and lettin em play overnight drastically reduced that brightness

Put the mobius in hi res 3d off w.e before starting overwatch, and use overwatch's atmos for headphones. Sometimes switching the mobius' setting in game wont register till the games restarted.

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #134 of 5,780
I got the headphones primarily for gaming, and I have to say I'm pretty let down by them. I have them plugged into my PC via a direct USB C connection and the 3D is nothing like actual surround sound. You "center" your head with your monitor and then it's like the sound source is in front of your face.... turning your head to the side will effect the direction that audio is coming from.... but it's always as if that audio source is the screen in front of you.

If you've actually gamed with real surround sound speakers or even used headphones with virtual surround sound like Turtle Beach you can really tell the difference. The rear channels are particularly not very pronounced. Like even if I turn my back to the monitor if doesn't sound like it's really behind me. I tested it out on Overwatch with both Dolby Atmos on and off... and with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (another game that really uses spacial sound).... and it just was not surround sound. Mind you this is with the headphones on both manual or auto 3d, and with 7.1 audio mode on.

Using them on a PS4 was even worse, you have to go down to Stereo mode for the console to even recognize them... and then again they don't really do true surround sound. There are EQ presets for music, FPS, RPG, etc.... none of which really sound too significantly different from one another. Mic is pretty low end too.

Overall... I mean the sound quality is great for music and movies.... but the head tracking thing so far for me has just been a gimmick. I'm not really feeling immersed at all... especially compared to much cheaper gaming headsets that utilize virtual surround sound. My Sennheisers from Massdrop cost less and already sound great without a 3D gimmick that doesn't work.... I'm probably selling off my Mobius and not buying into any more fake Audeze hype.

Hellblade Senua sacrifice i hear has problems that game is binaural recording meant for stereo. It does not play well with surround being added to it. Also Unreal engine 4 has 7.1 audio problems where side left and side right channel have no sound coming from them and LFE problems.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #135 of 5,780
Cant wait to receive my pre-order. I will be using them primarily with Hunt: Showdown, Siege, Battlefield 1 and 5. Hunt: Showdown uses 3d binaural audio currently but needs a lot of tweaking. So far with fostex T60RP and waves nx app positional audio on top of theirs is doing just fine for positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back