Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #106 of 5,780
Still waiting on mine but I'm actually worried about them not getting loud enough. Low-level classical stuff really takes some juice.

If 1 watt of power injected straight into your ear canals isn't enough, perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order? I'm serious here.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #107 of 5,780
Get home, excited to finally get my mobius and plug it in only to find the volume is max at 100%
S5Momic.png

Caught me by surprise.
It's just one way to blowout that earwax.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #108 of 5,780
PLEASE TAKE THESE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. A VERY LARGE ONE THIS TIME.
The 3D mode had so much scatter, it was crazy. This was smoothed out way more than I normally smooth out the graph and it's still very jittery.
When you measure with 3D mode on, depending on how you measure, you will have a comb-filter effect due to crossfeed and also a lot of wiggles because of simulated first order room reflections. Our brain can use the reflections to judge depth and the cross-feed to judge direction without thinking that the sound is colored, however a measurement rig is not capable of doing so, hence you will see some crazy looking measurements with 3D mode on.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #109 of 5,780
If 1 watt of power injected straight into your ear canals isn't enough, perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order? I'm serious here.

That all sounds reasonable until you put on stuff mastered at -35dB RMS. If the quoted '> 120dB' is met then we're all good, so we shall see.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #111 of 5,780
Hey guys I just got my headphones and I was wondering for PUBG if I should have HRTF enabled or disabled when using the mobius?

PUBG HRTF on Mobius 3d off
PUBG hrtf off Mobius 3d on
xD

I'd stick with HRTF off until the devs confirmed they fixed it.

Can you turn off the microphone automatically getting played back through the headphones? If I run my finger over the mic I can hear it.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #112 of 5,780
All these impressions about the Mobius has got me stoked. I'd missed out on the pre-order, but I'm looking forward to buying the retail version as soon as they're available, the question is, I'm in Singapore and I'm wondering when it'd be shipped here.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #113 of 5,780
Can you turn off the microphone automatically getting played back through the headphones? If I run my finger over the mic I can hear it

Lots of discussion about sidetone in the other thread. Short answer, put mic volume below 50%.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #114 of 5,780
Received my Mobius yesterday and got to spend a couple of hours listening last night. All on default eq Hi-Res mainly via USB C from my V30, though I did listen to a couple of songs via Bluetooth with LDAC. These are my first planar cans, and I've gotta say I'm very impressed. They're comfortable for long periods of time, and I'm a glasses wearer. Bass has good impact and gets pretty low, mids are very pleasant, and highs are a touch bright. These are very detailed, I hear things in songs that I've never noticed which is always pleasant. LDAC sounds great - easily the best sounding Bluetooth headphones I've ever heard. Looking forward to some game testing today with No Man's Sky, Skyrim, and Destiny 2. I could tell these are very good when my wife didn't want to give them back after a couple of songs, may need a second pair now! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #115 of 5,780
All these impressions about the Mobius has got me stoked. I'd missed out on the pre-order, but I'm looking forward to buying the retail version as soon as they're available, the question is, I'm in Singapore and I'm wondering when it'd be shipped here.

Might have some luck with pre-order customers here that aren't happy due to various issues and want to sell it off quick.

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #116 of 5,780
How are these compared to other "gaming" headsets in a professional competitive FPS setting with regards to pinpointing footsteps etc?

Other gaming headsets typically use dolby headphone, creative sbx, etc., and while good and provide a 3d space with directionality, the Mobius' Waves NX + headtracking should offer an advantage. Plus the fast planar drivers render the 3d space better.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #118 of 5,780
I got the headphones primarily for gaming, and I have to say I'm pretty let down by them. I have them plugged into my PC via a direct USB C connection and the 3D is nothing like actual surround sound. You "center" your head with your monitor and then it's like the sound source is in front of your face.... turning your head to the side will effect the direction that audio is coming from.... but it's always as if that audio source is the screen in front of you.

If you've actually gamed with real surround sound speakers or even used headphones with virtual surround sound like Turtle Beach you can really tell the difference. The rear channels are particularly not very pronounced. Like even if I turn my back to the monitor if doesn't sound like it's really behind me. I tested it out on Overwatch with both Dolby Atmos on and off... and with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (another game that really uses spacial sound).... and it just was not surround sound. Mind you this is with the headphones on both manual or auto 3d, and with 7.1 audio mode on.

Using them on a PS4 was even worse, you have to go down to Stereo mode for the console to even recognize them... and then again they don't really do true surround sound. There are EQ presets for music, FPS, RPG, etc.... none of which really sound too significantly different from one another. Mic is pretty low end too.

Overall... I mean the sound quality is great for music and movies.... but the head tracking thing so far for me has just been a gimmick. I'm not really feeling immersed at all... especially compared to much cheaper gaming headsets that utilize virtual surround sound. My Sennheisers from Massdrop cost less and already sound great without a 3D gimmick that doesn't work.... I'm probably selling off my Mobius and not buying into any more fake Audeze hype.

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #119 of 5,780
Sounds like you haven't used the proper settings or know how these headphones works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back