Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #153 of 5,780
@craftyhack nice first impression write up. Great to hear about the mic quality also. I use the AKG C214 with a UA Audio Apollo Twin so will compare my own voice quality using Audacity. If you get the chance would love to hear impressions with other games besides PUBG.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #154 of 5,780
Man, I posted this originally in the bizzarro-world Mobius thread aka Shipping Rants & Illogical Assumptions... having two threads is confusing sometimes :)

anyway...

I don't game too much anymore. I did play about half an hour of Deus Ex the other day with these and it's pretty good though I don't know if it's worldly different than standard virtual surround with 2 Channel. But then again, I was more frustrated with not remembering the keyboard bindings than anything.
What I have been doing, surprisingly, is really enjoying these as pure wireless hi-res music headphones. I've been wearing them outside in my yard and around the house. They sound great and battery lasts all day. I have barely used it wired since the first day I got it now. I think what makes this headphone beat all other wireless bluetoot headphones is pretty plain and simple:

1) AMPING POWER
2) AMPING POWER
3) AMPING POWER
oh, and LDAC helps too!

The biggest weakness I have ever heard with all the other premium bluetooth headphones (Audio-Technica, for example) is you hear a significant difference in how the headphones sound when amped through wired connection vs amped through it's built-in bluetooth. With the internal Audeze amp, this is not an issue at all with the headphones despite being planar magnetic and typically requiring more power than most dynamic drivers. I am really impressed to be honest. I hope other manufactures add better internals to their wireless headphones in the future.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #155 of 5,780
UPDATE: I plugged the mic into the wrong socket (AUX) totally my mistake. Please disregard.

Bug #1 - Microphone Volume/no sound. I'm experiencing trouble with Mobius microphone in Windows 10. The Windows sound settings panel shows that it's picking up ambient sounds and my voice (I see the volume bar increasing and decreasing as I speak), but people can't hear me on the other end, and when I select "Listen" in microphone properties as a test, I hear nothing that I say through the mic. I've tried increasing mic volume to 100% and made sure it's not muted.

On my second desktop (also Windows 10), when I plug in the headphone with mic already connected to the headphone, Windows automatically recognizes the mic and switches default input/recording device to "Audeze Mobius 3D 8Ch", however in this case the mic test bar that's supposed to reflect that it picks up sounds is completely not reacting to any sounds, unlike on the first computer.

Bug #2 - Unplugging/replugging Mic attachment changes AUX/USB mode. Step 1: connect headphones with microphone attached to the computer with USB cable. All is well--the computer recognizes both the headphone and microphone automatically as USB-connected devices and sets them as default devices right away. Step 2. When I unplug the microphone from the headphones while they are still plugged in via USB to the computer, and then I plug the mic attachment back in, the announcer voice says "AUX" for some reason. So the headphone mode is changed to AUX. This disables the USB mode on the headphones, and they disappear from Windows devices completely. Unplugging the mic again, the headphones reappear as Windows USB device and announcer voice in headphones says "USB". It goes back and forth as I unplug and replug the mic attachment while headphones are connected via USB to computer. Seems like what should be happening is the microphone should be enabled or disabled, instead of the headphones switching from AUX to USB mode. Basically the mic attachment has to be connected to the headphones before plugging them into the computer via USB.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #156 of 5,780
Cross-posting from The Other Thread, since I've just learned about this one. Some bugs:

Bug #1 - Microphone Volume/no sound. I'm experiencing trouble with Mobius microphone in Windows 10. The Windows sound settings panel shows that it's picking up ambient sounds and my voice (I see the volume bar increasing and decreasing as I speak), but people can't hear me on the other end, and when I select "Listen" in microphone properties as a test, I hear nothing that I say through the mic. I've tried increasing mic volume to 100% and made sure it's not muted.

On my second desktop (also Windows 10), when I plug in the headphone with mic already connected to the headphone, Windows automatically recognizes the mic and switches default input/recording device to "Audeze Mobius 3D 8Ch", however in this case the mic test bar that's supposed to reflect that it picks up sounds is completely not reacting to any sounds, unlike on the first computer.

Bug #2 - Unplugging/replugging Mic attachment changes AUX/USB mode. Step 1: connect headphones with microphone attached to the computer with USB cable. All is well--the computer recognizes both the headphone and microphone automatically as USB-connected devices and sets them as default devices right away. Step 2. When I unplug the microphone from the headphones while they are still plugged in via USB to the computer, and then I plug the mic attachment back in, the announcer voice says "AUX" for some reason. So the headphone mode is changed to AUX. This disables the USB mode on the headphones, and they disappear from Windows devices completely. Unplugging the mic again, the headphones reappear as Windows USB device and announcer voice in headphones says "USB". It goes back and forth as I unplug and replug the mic attachment while headphones are connected via USB to computer. Seems like what should be happening is the microphone should be enabled or disabled, instead of the headphones switching from AUX to USB mode. Basically the mic attachment has to be connected to the headphones before plugging them into the computer via USB.
Just curious, are you plugging the headphones into the right jack? I just tested with mine, and both jacks are 3.5mm, meaning that the mic will fit into the aux jack just fine. The behavior you are describing sounds like that is what is happening... when you plug something into the Aux jack... the Mobius automatically switches to that input. You must ALWAYS make sure to put it in the right hole or there will be hell to pay... so says my wife anyway...

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #157 of 5,780
@craftyhack LOL. Some approve, some don't! Is there a definitive way to determine what audio any given game options are. Tarkov, I have been told, does output multi- channel audio but is there a way to determine what it is if the game does not explicitly specify?

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #158 of 5,780
Just curious, are you plugging the headphones into the right jack? I just tested with mine, and both jacks are 3.5mm, meaning that the mic will fit into the aux jack just fine. The behavior you are describing sounds like that is what is happening... when you plug something into the Aux jack... the Mobius automatically switches to that input. You must ALWAYS make sure to put it in the right hole or there will be hell to pay... so says my wife anyway...

Oh yeah, you're right... I made a mistake with plugging into the wrong port. I can get the mic to work now. However, unless the mic is directly in front of my mouth within 1", it doesn't pick up any sounds. So I have to angle it so it's super close to my mouth, practically eating it, for it to pick up the sound. If it's 1.5" away, already no sound comes through.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #159 of 5,780
@craftyhack LOL. Some approve, some don't! Is there a definitive way to determine what audio any given game options are. Tarkov, I have been told, does output multi- channel audio but is there a way to determine what it is if the game does not explicitly specify?
I am not sure about Tarkov, I haven't picked it up yet. But generally speaking, especially with these EA games, it can be tricky to figure out what is going on, you are at the mercy of the dev WRT what options they put in the sound config menu... and that they have correctly implemented what they say they have implemented. For PUBG for example, when working on the 7.1 hack, the person actually recorded all 8 tracks (or maybe it was just 6?) and then listened to each individual channel to confirm that it was appropriately putting out multi-channel sound that was "probably" an accurate representation of what was happening on screen.

Oh yeah, you're right... I made a mistake with plugging into the wrong port. I can get the mic to work now. However, unless the mic is directly in front of my mouth within 1", it doesn't pick up any sounds. So I have to angle it so it's super close to my mouth, practically eating it, for it to pick up the sound. If it's 1.5" away, already no sound comes through.

Now your experience sounds like mine as well. The mic is keyed so that it will only fit into the mic jack one way, and assuming that your mic isn't twisted, the pickup side (there is a pic of a mic symbol on this side) should be facing towards your mouth. If not, definitely twist it back around, there looks to be another mic hole on the side that says Audeze which I assume is to help with ambient sound rejection.

Everyone told me that I sounded fine and that my volume is fine (mic volume is at 100%), but monitoring(side tone) volume is lower than what I am used to so I keep looking for a way to turn it up. I did get a couple of complaints about breathing that I have never gotten when using my main rig, probably because the mic is basically in my mouth, and I forgot to release PTT :D. I am thinking that this is just a matter of my getting used to a much lower monitoring volume...

Also note that you should NOT use the Windows mic monitoring option with Mobius as the monitoring will be doubled, and with the Windows monitoring signal being slightly delayed, there will be this really weird doubling/echo effect.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #160 of 5,780
I bought Mobius when I was searching for a good headphone to play Tarkov, I hope someone just test is and let us know how is it

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #161 of 5,780
@craftyhack Thanks mate. Appreciate the reply, @Rabso I remember someone on Kleans stream confirmed that Tarkov is multi-channel but they have not stated exactly what it is until the game gets some more updates etc, Probably will just have to try some options in that hell hole that is factory to hear what works best!

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #163 of 5,780
@Rabso I believe they will, mainly because of the planer tech and the fact that they are internally amplified per side. I have used my LCD X's for a short while for gaming instead of the Audio Technica which is my main gaming headset (to see those have a look at Summit1g streams) and the LCD's were a lot clearer in pin pointing the source and distance of shots, footsteps etc.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #164 of 5,780
You don't let the "Wifey" read this thread do you ? You do realize you run the risk of Her plugging You with that mic while you thought it was safe to sleep ??? Didn't think of that one , did you ?

You better take her out to Dinner & a Movie to play it safe,buddy !!!

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #165 of 5,780
Double check your windows microphone levels, it sounds like that could be your issue. Screenshots below to help guide you through it if you need help.

lIDfk1H.png
>>>
4DHetV1.png
>>>
sSomwZ7.png

Edit: Also the microphone device for the Mobius will likely be named different, I don't have my Mobius yet so I can't give you a more exact walkthrough, unfortunately.

this is not accurate for mobius, there is not "boost" option

Aahh bugger, maybe the mic is facing the wrong way as it is uni-directional?

there is a bump and microphone icon, this side faces your mouth. The "audeze" logo needs to face away from your mouth

When I played Titanfall, it was "7.1 audio". When I played the Division, it was "Home Cinema". When I played Outlast, it was "surround sound"... Every game has a different label for the same thing

there is a bump and microphone icon, this side faces your mouth. The "audeze" logo needs to face away from your mouth

I am not sure about Tarkov, I haven't picked it up yet. But generally speaking, especially with these EA games, it can be tricky to figure out what is going on, you are at the mercy of the dev WRT what options they put in the sound config menu... and that they have correctly implemented what they say they have implemented. For PUBG for example, when working on the 7.1 hack, the person actually recorded all 8 tracks (or maybe it was just 6?) and then listened to each individual channel to confirm that it was appropriately putting out multi-channel sound that was "probably" an accurate representation of what was happening on screen.

Now your experience sounds like mine as well. The mic is keyed so that it will only fit into the mic jack one way, and assuming that your mic isn't twisted, the pickup side (there is a pic of a mic symbol on this side) should be facing towards your mouth. If not, definitely twist it back around, there looks to be another mic hole on the side that says Audeze which I assume is to help with ambient sound rejection.

Everyone told me that I sounded fine and that my volume is fine (mic volume is at 100%), but monitoring(side tone) volume is lower than what I am used to so I keep looking for a way to turn it up. I did get a couple of complaints about breathing that I have never gotten when using my main rig, probably because the mic is basically in my mouth, and I forgot to release PTT :D. I am thinking that this is just a matter of my getting used to a much lower monitoring volume...

Also note that you should NOT use the Windows mic monitoring option with Mobius as the monitoring will be doubled, and with the Windows monitoring signal being slightly delayed, there will be this really weird doubling/echo effect.

Titanfall, an EA game specifically has a "7.1 audio" mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back