Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,211 of 5,780
I basically wear the LCD-2's around my neck which isn't fun but usually I will either carry those in my hand physically or toss them into my Cotopaxi backpack which is very lightweight as most of the time I wouldn't be carrying around my Surface Book 2 15 on most days at school.
15 inch. Must be heavy as hell .the little tank is also pretty heavy.

What dac and amp r u driving your tank please? Including those like cables. That is quite a lot of weight.

So far no replacement for mobius . YET .

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #3,212 of 5,780
15 inch. Must be heavy as hell .the little tank is also pretty heavy.

What dac and amp r u driving your tank please? Including those like cables. That is quite a lot of weight.

So far no replacement for mobius . YET .

I am using the combined DAC/AMP/preamp which is the DragonFly Red USB... For cables I am using the standard one that was included with my LCD-2CB's and then a Grado 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter as well as an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. It's unwieldy but hell the sound is very solid!

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #3,213 of 5,780
I am using the combined DAC/AMP/preamp which is the DragonFly Red USB... For cables I am using the standard one that was included with my LCD-2CB's and then a Grado 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter as well as an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. It's unwieldy but hell the sound is very solid!

If I were you using lcds portable i would at least consider a balanced amp with a battery, at a minimum the smsl iq

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,214 of 5,780
@KMann I kind of agree here. Maybe instead of all of (or most of, as some people like the sound of some of them for music) the gaming presets, removing them could make way for other more useful features like a mode that boosts the volume of sounds that are nearer the player.

For instance I have been playing Forza 4 Horizon. Before the Mobius, I was using the Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 surround headphones (they are basically 7.1 headphones with Dolby/DTS features that can pick out sounds for the extra height channels. Subtle, but I notice it now I'm not using them.)

With the Sony's, it was very obvious when a car was coming up behind me, I could tell from which direction and move to counter. This is with the in-game music turned up beyond where the game developers initially set it. With the Mobius, they always take me completely by surprise.

Sony made 2 basic presets for their headphones. 1 for movies, and one for gaming. For the gaming preset they went to their game developers who helped them fine tune every aspect of it. It was much more than an EQ. Potentially this is something the Mobius could do, if it had the memory space of course.

I have written to Support about this and a couple of other suggestions, but have had no response. They were very helpful with my initial issue, and said they welcomed any suggestions and would pass it on.

This thread has been more useful in some ways. For a start, some of the suggestions I made seem to have been addressed in the firmware I updated to a few days ago. This was something support missed but really should have been one of the first steps.

Just curious, you say you couldnt tell forward from back with the mobius in forza horizon 4 while you could with the sonys... Are you playing forza horizon 4 on a PC or on xbox? Because from what it looks like, those sony headphones, and the "box" that comes with it, looks like it will take any hdmi audio and virtualize it. Meaning it will properly virtualize audio from a console. The mobius cant do that and only gives you true surround when using it with a PC. Anyways, please excuse me if you mentioned this elsewhere, just wasnt sure if maybe that was the reason. I find the virtualization with the mobius very good when using it with my PC... though I have yet to load forza horizon 4 on my PC to try it out. The waves nx virtualization works quite well, though its not quite the best I have heard (thatll go to sennheiser gsx for me, which has more of an out of head feel), but the head tracking definitely takes it to a different level.

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #3,215 of 5,780
Just curious, you say you couldnt tell forward from back with the mobius in forza horizon 4 while you could with the sonys... Are you playing forza horizon 4 on a PC or on xbox? Because from what it looks like, those sony headphones, and the "box" that comes with it, looks like it will take any hdmi audio and virtualize it. Meaning it will properly virtualize audio from a console. The mobius cant do that and only gives you true surround when using it with a PC. Anyways, please excuse me if you mentioned this elsewhere, just wasnt sure if maybe that was the reason. I find the virtualization with the mobius very good when using it with my PC... though I have yet to load forza horizon 4 on my PC to try it out. The waves nx virtualization works quite well, though its not quite the best I have heard (thatll go to sennheiser gsx for me, which has more of an out of head feel), but the head tracking definitely takes it to a different level.

I'm playing on the PC, so it all true 7.1, or it should be. Was always set to 8CH when gaming.

It's not that I couldn't tell forward from back, I couldn't hear the noise of the car as they closed in behind me during a race. On the other hand I could very clearly hear the zoom of a car going the other way as I passed it go behind me into the distance. I had noticed some sounds disappearing in the rear when playing Tomb Raider, but put that down to the game engine culling them. Might give that a go later and see.

@KMann I've just played Forza 4H for the first time since I've updated to the recent firmware, and I am very pleased to say that now I can now hear cars as they close in from behind, so that's another ticked off my list. I'm getting more and more pleased with these by the day.

I've found that the JRiver Media player offers a couple of ways of upmixing from 5.1 to 7.1. It has it's own method, plus one that simply doubles up the side channels to the rear. It definitely gives the rear more emphasis which is great for media I have stored on my PC, but unfortunately now that Netflix have restricted themselves to their own player, I still can't use it with them.

Edit: I should probably explain a bit more about Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It was only specific sounds. whirring obsidian blades in a particular dungeon that I noticed were really quiet, almost like they switched off when I wasn't looking. The rest of the sound coming from the rear was fine. I double checked this with my speakers, and I got the same result. I also tried walking around a village listening for voices and that's when I got the impression that the game culled sound.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #3,216 of 5,780
I'm playing on the PC, so it all true 7.1, or it should be. Was always set to 8CH when gaming.

It's not that I couldn't tell forward from back, I couldn't hear the noise of the car as they closed in behind me during a race. On the other hand I could very clearly hear the zoom of a car going the other way as I passed it go behind me into the distance. I had noticed some sounds disappearing in the rear when playing Tomb Raider, but put that down to the game engine culling them. Might give that a go later and see.

@KMann I've just played Forza 4H for the first time since I've updated to the recent firmware, and I am very pleased to say that now I can now hear cars as they close in from behind, so that's another ticked off my list. I'm getting more and more pleased with these by the day.

I've found that the JRiver Media player offers a couple of ways of upmixing from 5.1 to 7.1. It has it's own method, plus one that simply doubles up the side channels to the rear. It definitely gives the rear more emphasis which is great for media I have stored on my PC, but unfortunately now that Netflix have restricted themselves to their own player, I still can't use it with them.

Edit: I should probably explain a bit more about Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It was only specific sounds. whirring obsidian blades in a particular dungeon that I noticed were really quiet, almost like they switched off when I wasn't looking. The rest of the sound coming from the rear was fine. I double checked this with my speakers, and I got the same result. I also tried walkiong around a village listening for voices and that's when I got the impression that the game culled sound.

Sorry, my fault misunderstood your original post. Hope my last one didn't come across as condescending or anything.

So just curious, was that a preset issue or something else? I know there has been a lot of talk about presets here lately but I haven't really followed them too much, especially as to how it might pertain to picking out certain sounds like cars from background music.

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #3,217 of 5,780

What is the difference in sound quality for the mobius Vs the LCD please?

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,218 of 5,780
This morning I picked up my new M and D cable and tested it for 4-5 minutes with the USB-C port on my Note 9. It works!

20190330_114236.jpg

Definitely not approved by Audeze I guess... It is a DIY solution but very sweet! I need to check on volume controls however.

Update: Okay, the volume controls work woot!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #3,219 of 5,780
What is the difference in sound quality for the mobius Vs the LCD please?

The Mobius is awesome but the LCD-2CB's are much more open and the soundstage more accurate. Granted I feel by brute intuition that the cans with the larger drivers can separate out things better. Mobius is still miles ahead of most mainstream headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #3,220 of 5,780
This morning I picked up my new M and D cable and tested it for 4-5 minutes with the USB-C port on my Note 9. It works!

20190330_114236.jpg

Definitely not approved by Audeze I guess... It is a DIY solution but very sweet! I need to check on volume controls however.

Update: Okay, the volume controls work woot!

It works with my phone as long as set as stereo or huh Res.

Another works with 7.1 .

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #3,222 of 5,780
Sorry, my fault misunderstood your original post. Hope my last one didn't come across as condescending or anything.

So just curious, was that a preset issue or something else? I know there has been a lot of talk about presets here lately but I haven't really followed them too much, especially as to how it might pertain to picking out certain sounds like cars from background music.

I did try different presets, including racing, but I still couldn't hear the engine noises coming from behind. The thing is because there is such a variety of cars and engines, (you can fit 3 or 4 different engines to some cars, they are all in different frequency bands) the noise they make varies so much that one EQ setting won't cover them all.

I think what Audeze have done with the recent firmware is boost the volume of the rear and side channels. I've noticed this in games and in 5.1 audio. It's definitely a welcome move. It's great for 5.1 audio, needed in games like Forza, but has a knock on effect in 3rd person games where the distance between the character and the camera means you are closer to the sound source as you pan around. I'm going to look into this more before deciding whether I think it's too much of a boost or not. I have a feeling that most of the Mobius's positioning is hard coded into the chip so there isn't much leeway for fine tuning.

I've done some preliminary comparisons between the Sony and Mobius for gaming, and my initial impressions when switching between them is that although the Mobius is capable of rendering clearer sounds, games don't make complex enough sounds to really push the planars enough to make them shine. I'm getting a clear enough sound when gaming with the Sony, not only that but I'm hearing more in game sounds. Whether this is because the Sony's positional processing makes sounds that would normally be further away seem closer and more audible, I don't know yet, but I do get a feeling with the Sony that I am more immersed and able to respond to sound cues in the game.

One example is in Dishonored 2 where I could hear an NCP enemy rolling dice from further away than with the Mobius. I could also hear other environmental sounds clearer, and this was at a lower overall volume.

Bearing in mind I have only tested 3 games so far, so there might be games where the opposite is true, I have further testing to do.

As I've mentioned before, the Mobius completely trounces the Sony in terms of clarity when watching movies and listening to 5.1 music that allows the planars to shine more with much more complex sound sources.

Edit: I wonder if Audeze have thought about supporting codecs like Atmos

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #3,223 of 5,780
I did try different presets, including racing, but I still couldn't hear the engine noises coming from behind. The thing is because there is such a variety of cars and engines, (you can fit 3 or 4 different engines to some cars, they are all in different frequency bands) the noise they make varies so much that one EQ setting won't cover them all.

I think what Audeze have done with the recent firmware is boost the volume of the rear and side channels. I've noticed this in games and in 5.1 audio. It's definitely a welcome move. It's great for 5.1 audio, needed in games like Forza, but has a knock on effect in 3rd person games where the distance between the character and the camera means you are closer to the sound source as you pan around. I'm going to look into this more before deciding whether I think it's too much of a boost or not. I have a feeling that most of the Mobius's positioning is hard coded into the chip so there isn't much leeway for fine tuning.

I've done some preliminary comparisons between the Sony and Mobius for gaming, and my initial impressions when switching between them is that although the Mobius is capable of rendering clearer sounds, games don't make complex enough sounds to really push the planars enough to make them shine. I'm getting a clear enough sound when gaming with the Sony, not only that but I'm hearing more in game sounds. Whether this is because the Sony's positional processing makes sounds that would normally be further away seem closer and more audible, I don't know yet, but I do get a feeling with the Sony that I am more immersed and able to respond to sound cues in the game.

One example is in Dishonored 2 where I could hear an NCP enemy rolling dice from further away than with the Mobius. I could also hear other environmental sounds clearer, and this was at a lower overall volume.

Bearing in mind I have only tested 3 games so far, so there might be games where the opposite is true, I have further testing to do.

As I've mentioned before, the Mobius completely trounces the Sony in terms of clarity when watching movies and listening to 5.1 music that allows the planars to shine more with much more complex sound sources.

The Sonys are in game mode? that could be why

Considering the Mobius has no decoder I dont see Atmos support being a thing

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3,224 of 5,780
The Sonys are in game mode? that could be why

Exactly, they did spend time with their gaming studios refining the sound/positioning for their game mode, and it shows. Worth looking into for gaming headphone manufacturers.

Edit: now that you mention it, I will try switching between modes when testing.

Considering the Mobius has no decoder I dont see Atmos support being a thing

I didn't expect to see it on the Mobius, but maybe a future product?

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #3,225 of 5,780

Are you on the latest firmware? I think I am on the beta v2, but I am not 100% sure and remember reading there might have been some issue updating from that one to v3 so before I do anything I wanna make sure. As for as atmos support, I am going to say its unlikely, in part due to licensing fees, and also if they are having issues with memory on the headset for presets as I remember reading, I doubt they would be able to add another virtualization system. And I am not 100% sure atmos has the capability built in for head tracking as waves nx definitely had it built in already. Either way, only guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back