Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,182 of 5,780
Im still keeping the xm3 though, the ANC is excellent when I travel (have old fw, some debate around the new fw being a downgrade).
And they take less space in my bag than the Mobius.

this undoubtedly but I am referring to the audio quality .... I also found qc35II in some aspects better than mobius. as far as the quality of the mobius sound is concerned, 3 steps ahead

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #3,184 of 5,780
I have the Bose QC35v1, Sony 1000xm3, and Mobius (Team Copper for the win!). For music comparison only, I thought Bluetooth couldn’t get any better than xm3. But after a lot of side-by-side testing with the Mobius, I actually don’t like the Sony sound that much any more...it seems muddy in the bass. The catch with the Sony is that if you use LDAC, you can’t use their EQ app and are stuck with the default (super-bass) signature. I like their ‘bright’ EQ setting because it moderates the bass, but then you are streaming via the SBC codec and not LDAC. I ended up leaving it on ‘bright’ since it still sounds better to me than the default sound over LDAC.

My only issue with Mobius is that it’s a bit complicated with all the buttons and options. Switching back and forth from Android phone and Windows PC can be a bit of a pain since I haven’t had enough time with them to really know all the controls. But that sound...WOW! At the $400 price range it’s really tough to beat for music. I may even prefer it over my $800 wired Focal Elear. The convenience of wireless offsets any minor improvements in sound. On the rare occasion when I have time for a quiet, serious listening session, I’ll be using my Senn HD800S anyway. Otherwise, the Sony, Bose, and Elear are starting to gather dust and the Mobius is taking over most of my ear time.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #3,186 of 5,780
We are taking this and similar feedback into consideration as we work on next version of firmware. We have had the opportunity to measure a lot of production samples and have revised our model of the average response. We will not introduce a new preset (because of memory constraints) but if you had to choose one preset to make it 'soft' near 3kHz, what would it be?
I would like to delete all the gaming presets and reduce unnecessary rotation of the wheel. Even in games I find them to be a gimmick and worse than the Default / Music / Warm presets. I personally use Warm exclusively.

Please adjust the Bluetooth volume steps to align with the iOS volume steps of 3.75 dB. The half steps should be 1.875 dB.

I also have an issue with the 3D mode HRTF. No matter what measurements I enter, the front / center channels move too much to the side with a slight rotation of the head. e.g. Turning 15 degrees makes the sound move by 45 degrees. My actual head measurements happen to exactly match the defaults.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,187 of 5,780
Is the USBC to USBC cable primarily used to connect the Mobius to a phone or other device that uses the cable for communication? I am using the USBA to USBC on my PC for charging and gaming, but wondering the main purpose of the USBC to USBC cable. I don't see too many posts of people really using this cable.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #3,188 of 5,780
Is the USBC to USBC cable primarily used to connect the Mobius to a phone or other device that uses the cable for communication? I am using the USBA to USBC on my PC for charging and gaming, but wondering the main purpose of the USBC to USBC cable. I don't see too many posts of people really using this cable.
USBC is the future of USB, that's it. It will be everywhere soon.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3,189 of 5,780
You can use the usb-c to usb-c for otg and charging when connected to a phone if it supports it.
The otg is in my experience ever so slightly better than LDAC. Not so much that I bother to do it though.
Maybe you also get better surround support than with Bluetooth? (5.1?). Anyone tested this?

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #3,190 of 5,780
Hi @Audeze and @KMann

I have a few questions regarding the Mobius:

- How is the depth in the new pads compared to the originals? The original pads are just barely deep enough for my ears, but my ears still touch the inside of the headphone causing mild discomfort. If the new pads are deeper than the originals I will certainly consider buying them.

- Any plans to bring the upgraded pads to the EU, specifically the Netherlands? Expensive shipping and import tax prevent me from buying them at the moment.

- What are the conditions for getting a battery replacement under warranty? Total battery failure? Some amount of capacity lost? How would you determine whether or not you're eligible for replacement?

And lastly as a bonus, I contacted support a while ago regarding a bug in the Mobius firmware, including detailed steps to reproduce the problem. My messages were reportedly sent over to the engineering team and I would hear back once support got a reply. It's since been more than 2 months since the last message. 2 weeks after the initial report I asked if there was any progress, and reportedly support had not heard back from the engineering team. Could you investigate as to what's going on here? Has the engineering team been able to reproduce the issue? Have the messages somehow gone unnoticed? I would love to get a status report on this. I will provide the support ticket number and any other details upon request if needed.

Thank you for your time.
@Audeze I don't want to appear impatient, but could you please give a response to these questions? Even if you can't answer some of them right now I'd rather you just say that than be met with silence.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #3,191 of 5,780
@Audeze I don't want to appear impatient, but could you please give a response to these questions? Even if you can't answer some of them right now I'd rather you just say that than be met with silence.
@GalaxyMaster - We usually try to be responsive on the forums, but this is not our official support channel. The best way to get answers is still our customer support (support@audeze). The posting frequency on Headfi etc, varies quite a bit.

1. New earpads are the same dimension as older memory foam option.
2. Yes. Our distributors will have them soon.
3. We have internal battery tests. Total battery failure of excessive loss of capacity from our baseline will be determined using our tests.
4. Depending on the severity, number of people affected, ease of fixing the issue etc, we prioritize the fixes and try to roll the fixes into the next release of firmware. The Mobius is used in a very wide vareity of use cases from composers in hollywood, to game designers, audiophiles, etc. So rolling out new fixes is not very quick, since we have to have longer testing schedules.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #3,192 of 5,780
@Jabba @abirdie4me and anyone else who has the mobius and XM3s. How does the Mobius compare to the XM3s in terms of portability? I currently have the XM3s that I use as my daily drivers for my iPhone (and both headphones support AAC). I take the bus to/from work, and I leave my XM3s in their case in my backpack (taking care not to drop heavy loads on them), as well as just listening around the house when I'm doing chores. I have been eyeing the Mobius as an upgrade to my current PC headphones (Astro A40, bought back when I thought $150 was expensive for headphones :) ). I love the XM3s after adjusting the EQ to my liking, and the ANC is to die for. Does anyone travel with their Mobius? Do they come with a case, and how is that case? Are you worried about scratches/dings/other damage by constantly being transported around? I know the Mobius doesn't have ANC, but how is the passive noise cancelling, maybe compared to the XM3s turned off (which honestly is still pretty good).

I unfortunately don't play on my computer as often as I used to, which is why I haven't bought the Mobius yet. If my A40s break today, I definitely know what I'm getting next. I would consider buying the Mobius now, if I knew I could offset some of the cost by selling my XM3s.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #3,193 of 5,780
@GalaxyMaster - We usually try to be responsive on the forums, but this is not our official support channel. The best way to get answers is still our customer support (support@audeze). The posting frequency on Headfi etc, varies quite a bit.

1. New earpads are the same dimension as older memory foam option.
2. Yes. Our distributors will have them soon.
3. We have internal battery tests. Total battery failure of excessive loss of capacity from our baseline will be determined using our tests.
4. Depending on the severity, number of people affected, ease of fixing the issue etc, we prioritize the fixes and try to roll the fixes into the next release of firmware. The Mobius is used in a very wide vareity of use cases from composers in hollywood, to game designers, audiophiles, etc. So rolling out new fixes is not very quick, since we have to have longer testing schedules.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. @KMann already helped me out with the firmware bug situation. Good to hear the new pads will be coming to Europe soon. One last question though: If you have internal battery tests to determine if a battery can be replaced under warranty, how would I as a consumer determine whether it's worth the risk in terms of shipping costs to ship it in for testing? Any guidelines in terms of battery life like X amount of hours of pink noise over Bluetooth or something? From what I've heard there are no service centers in Europe so shipping the Mobius out to America would be very expensive for me.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #3,194 of 5,780
I would like to thank Audeze and my hearty friends for supporting me on my journey through the Mobius. After I received my LCD-2CB's yesterday to replace my Mobius for high-end listening I was super happy. No more worries about my Note 9 getting drained and no more Bluetooth fun (which the Mobius was awesome at) anymore. Old school connection and just perfect for rocking out here at the U of U. I will review the Mobius when I get my new M and D cable (USB-C to 3.5mm) in the mail but now my Mobius pair will be relegated to my video game streaming back in my home studio. The LCD-2's will become my default for everyday commuting and library chilling out.

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3,195 of 5,780
@Jabba @abirdie4me and anyone else who has the mobius and XM3s. How does the Mobius compare to the XM3s in terms of portability? I currently have the XM3s that I use as my daily drivers for my iPhone (and both headphones support AAC). I take the bus to/from work, and I leave my XM3s in their case in my backpack (taking care not to drop heavy loads on them), as well as just listening around the house when I'm doing chores. I have been eyeing the Mobius as an upgrade to my current PC headphones (Astro A40, bought back when I thought $150 was expensive for headphones :) ). I love the XM3s after adjusting the EQ to my liking, and the ANC is to die for. Does anyone travel with their Mobius? Do they come with a case, and how is that case? Are you worried about scratches/dings/other damage by constantly being transported around? I know the Mobius doesn't have ANC, but how is the passive noise cancelling, maybe compared to the XM3s turned off (which honestly is still pretty good).

I unfortunately don't play on my computer as often as I used to, which is why I haven't bought the Mobius yet. If my A40s break today, I definitely know what I'm getting next. I would consider buying the Mobius now, if I knew I could offset some of the cost by selling my XM3s.

Xm3 is better for portability and phone calls, Mobius has better sound, easier connectivity, and all the gaming/3D stuff. I travel a lot for work and only take the XM3, the trade off in sound quality isn't enough to justify carrying 2 pair of cans, and I have to have the Xm3 for phone calls. When I'm home, I'm wearing the Mobius around the house and in the yard over the Xm3. I got the Mobius on Indigogo, so it didn't come with a carry case.

In my opinion, your uses are similar to mine. I wouldn't bother with the Mobius as a replacement for the Xm3 because of your mobile use, and if you use the Xm3 for phone calls. However, Mobius is awesome as a complimentary pair to use while at home for non-tethered music listening or when sitting at the PC gaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back