Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #3,091 of 5,780
Remember when using the aux input the headset is performing an additional analog to digital conversion before going through the builtin digital to analog conversion and additional dsp. The headphones are battery powered at all times so if volume is low on the aux input its due to a lower signal level and not amplification/power. Always shoot for using the usb connection or ldac/aac bluetooth as that should give you the best signal quality and full use of the builtin battery, which can get excessively loud.

Battery life is shorter due to the demands of the binaural rendering dsp, as well as bluetooth if using it, and equalization dsp. Recommend keeping a battery pack handy for charging if not using a pc. Battery replacement isn't user serviceable and would require rma.

ok, but is it possible, or the life of mobius = life of its battery? based on the cost is a headset that can be kept for years

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #3,092 of 5,780
We are taking this and similar feedback into consideration as we work on next version of firmware. We have had the opportunity to measure a lot of production samples and have revised our model of the average response. We will not introduce a new preset (because of memory constraints) but if you had to choose one preset to make it 'soft' near 3kHz, what would it be?
I'd say Ballistics can go, it's almost the same as Racing, where Racing has a tiny bit more sub extension.
When using Mobius I preferred Racing over Ballistics by a very small margin.
Someone mentioned RPG should go, but this is a totally different flavor and should stay IMO.

While doing this, don't forget to correct the systematic left/right differences caused by the different internal/port acoustics, and the L/R level balance error in the gaming presets.

Here are the frequency responses relative to flat:
IMG_0975.PNG

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #3,093 of 5,780
I'd say Ballistics can go, it's almost the same as Racing, where Racing has a tiny bit more sub extension.
When using Mobius I preferred Racing over Ballistics by a very small margin.
Someone mentioned RPG should go, but this is a total different flavor and should stay IMO.

While doing this, don't forget to correct the systematic left/right differences caused by the different internal/port acoustics, and the L/R level balance error in the gaming presets.

Here are the frequency responses relative to flat:

Ya looking at the graph I agree, I said rpg before looking at the graph again =/

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #3,094 of 5,780
Remember when using the aux input the headset is performing an additional analog to digital conversion before going through the builtin digital to analog conversion and additional dsp. The headphones are battery powered at all times so if volume is low on the aux input its due to a lower signal level and not amplification/power. Always shoot for using the usb connection or ldac/aac bluetooth as that should give you the best signal quality and full use of the builtin battery, which can get excessively loud.

Battery life is shorter due to the demands of the binaural rendering dsp, as well as bluetooth if using it, and equalization dsp. Recommend keeping a battery pack handy for charging if not using a pc. Battery replacement isn't user serviceable and would require rma.

Yeah, that is why I am switching to my USB-C to 3.5 aux jack adapter later on when I get home to drive my Mobius. I will do a re-test of my Note 9 when my LCD-2 closed back headphones come into Salt Lake City. Aris Audio is just too awesome. Maybe I am the only insane U of U student wearing these crazy cans.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #3,095 of 5,780
Yeah, that is why I am switching to my USB-C to 3.5 aux jack adapter later on when I get home to drive my Mobius. I will do a re-test of my Note 9 when my LCD-2 closed back headphones come into Salt Lake City. Aris Audio is just too awesome. Maybe I am the only insane U of U student wearing these crazy cans.

I have a note9 as well and only use the ldac bluetooth connection, maybe it drains the battery of both devices faster but the wireless is wonderful and the sound quality is superb.

Watcha mean usb c to 3.5 adapter? you can use a usb c to usb c to connect the mobius to the note9.

Heh, crazy headphones are the best.

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #3,096 of 5,780
Oh oh I forgot that I have the USB-C to USB-C adapter included with the Mobius! :) Thanks for that insight :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #3,097 of 5,780
I don't suppose if any memory is freed up, there would be a way to work in a 5.1 mode for 5.1 sources like Netflix and 5.1 music?

Whilst most 7.1 setups default to having the side channels play the surrounds from 5.1 sources, ideally with an actual 5.1 setup, you would position the surrounds slightly behind you for a more immersive sound. (I literally feel cocooned in sound with my 5.1 setup, when the phase is set right and the crossover is on. Without the crossover it sounds more open)

Would it be possible to add a 5.1 mode that positioned the rear/side channels slightly behind you for added depth?

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #3,099 of 5,780
So I just did something blasphemous. I listened to stereo music in the 7.1 mode with the 3D on (music preset). I'm not going to lie the result was amazing! The music preset really removed the "hollowness" you would normally get from this kind of thing. I've never heard such a combination of soundstage, imaging and detail from any headphone in my life. Though eh, still probably not idea for critical listening.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #3,100 of 5,780
I don't suppose if any memory is freed up, there would be a way to work in a 5.1 mode for 5.1 sources like Netflix and 5.1 music?

Whilst most 7.1 setups default to having the side channels play the surrounds from 5.1 sources, ideally with an actual 5.1 setup, you would position the surrounds slightly behind you for a more immersive sound. (I literally feel cocooned in sound with my 5.1 setup, when the phase is set right and the crossover is on. Without the crossover it sounds more open)

Would it be possible to add a 5.1 mode that positioned the rear/side channels slightly behind you for added depth?

Well that's an interesting thought, @KMann are the side surrounds at 90° or 110°?

Alot of players have various upmixers, but for a Netflix app you would have to use a separate program in the audio chain, equalizer apo can run vst, I'm sure there's some kind of vst matrix upmixer xD.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #3,101 of 5,780
So I just did something blasphemous. I listened to stereo music in the 7.1 mode with the 3D on (music preset). I'm not going to lie the result was amazing! The music preset really removed the "hollowness" you would normally get from this kind of thing. I've never heard such a combination of soundstage, imaging and detail from any headphone in my life. Though eh, still probably not idea for critical listening.

It was still stereo, as the Mobius doesnt have a builtin upmixer, but using the virtualization(3d on) for music is fantastic, i use the mobius 100% for music with 3d on 100% of the time, and my desktop systems are used for music with a different virtualization program as well all the time. Real time binaural rendering has recently culminated in some incredible products, the Mobius, the Smyth Realisers and Out of Your Head, which are finally giving us high fidelity in combination with the amazing effects of binaural stereo for content that wasnt recorded with binaural microphones.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3,102 of 5,780
HELP:

How does battery replacement work outside the US?
It’s possible?
Right now all the Mobius units are under warranty for battery. After warranty period expires, we will provide service centers who will be able to help with battery replacements.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #3,103 of 5,780

On windows sound , you should be able to configure 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Choosing 5.1 should get you the rear channels.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,104 of 5,780
On windows sound , you should be able to configure 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Choosing 5.1 should get you the rear channels.

You can with with a normal speaker setup, you even have the option to configure your surrounds as sides or rears, but the usual ways of configuring or selecting between 7.1 and 5.1 are either greyed out or unavailable when using the Mobius.

Does this mean that if you were to enable this selection at the driver level, there has been a built in 5.1 mode all along?!?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3,105 of 5,780
Actually for any critical listening I pretty went with the default flat setting. I have no issues with it as is and the clarity of the soundstage has been pretty awesome so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back