Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,031 of 5,780
Ldac is nice. Agreed. But half of us are on Ios and I'd be surprised if my ears could tell the difference between LDAC and AAC over something like Tidal HiFi.
Trouble is ldac is a road of no return .

Thus, I said despite quite a bit of issues with mobius, would anyone be so kind as to letting us know there is better option please?

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,032 of 5,780
Ldac is nice. Agreed. But half of us are on Ios and I'd be surprised if my ears could tell the difference between LDAC and AAC over something like Tidal HiFi.

Its a crystal clear difference ;]

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #3,037 of 5,780
Does the Mobius need True-Fi support? It already has a very flat flat mode.

Not in an uncompensated sense, even the Music preset still has an 8db bump at 3khz

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #3,038 of 5,780
Edit: worked through this in the following posts, found it wasn't the case.

Not in an uncompensated sense, even the Music preset still has an 8db bump at 3khz

Omg you are right!

I had looked at the charts at the beginning and thought the boost was at 4.5khz and made a small dip in my EQ to compensate, but it still sounded boxy, like the sound was confined. (When using stereo mode)

I've just cut 3khz by 8db instead, with 0.25 bandwidth in neutrons EQ and they sound so much more natural and roomy. I'm going to have to go back and re-listen to some things.

I wonder if the 3khz boost helps the 3d effect when in 3D mode?

Edit: make that 0.6 bandwidth....

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #3,039 of 5,780
My little experience with the true-fi app,is that it really works.Have tried it on focal elear,sony wh900,shure se215.The sound is really good.But i dont always use it when listening to edm.Then i love a little boost in bass.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #3,042 of 5,780
Omg you are right!

I had looked at the charts at the beginning and thought the boost was at 4.5khz and made a small dip in my EQ to compensate, but it still sounded boxy, like the sound was confined. (When using stereo mode)

I've just cut 3khz by 8db instead, with 0.25 bandwidth in neutrons EQ and they sound so much more natural and roomy. I'm going to have to go back and re-listen to some things.

You may have misunderstood what @Zenvota implied. You do not want the raw measurements to look flat. Having a peak near 3kHz up to 15dB (depending on rig used) is perfectly normal. Cutting it by 8dB would make mids sound very recessed and hollow.

BTW which measurments are you referring to, the one I posted earlier on in this thread?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #3,043 of 5,780
You may have misunderstood what @Zenvota implied. You do not want the raw measurements to look flat. Having a peak near 3kHz up to 15dB (depending on rig used) is perfectly normal. Cutting it by 8dB would make mids sound very recessed and hollow.

BTW which measurments are you referring to, the one I posted earlier on in this thread?

I was referring to the charts on the first page of this thread that have a boost at around 4,5Khz, could you point me to the charts you posted?

We should probably clarify I'm talking about 2D mode here, I'm using LDAC Bluetooth in 96Khz mode from my android. 3D mode from my computer sounds fine without EQ (although I wouldn't mind a little more bass)

People have described these phones as treble forward, and compared to other phones I've used I'm inclined to agree.

I've been looking for a way to make them sound less harsh, I had concluded that it was somewhere in the lower treble/upper mids.

With the 3Khz cut I described above, music sounds less nasally, cymbals sound more like they should, the soundstage is better separated, Music sounds much more in line with headpones/speakers I've been using for years.

It's still not quite perfect with every song, I am adjusting the bandwith as I go and hoping not to lose to much in the process, whilst bearing in mind that I'm not used to as much sparkle in the upper treble (which I shouldn't be affecting)

This is my experience so far, I am all ears for any advice you may have. I should note my background is in music and recording.

Edit:. Forgot to mention the bass now has more impact now that 3Khz isn't accented.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,044 of 5,780
Omg you are right!

I was referring to the charts on the first page of this thread that have a boost at around 4,5Khz, could you point me to the charts you posted?

We should probably clarify I'm talking about 2D mode here, I'm using LDAC Bluetooth in 96Khz mode from my android. 3D mode from my computer sounds fine without EQ (although I wouldn't mind a little more bass)

People have described these phones as treble forward, and compared to other phones I've used I'm inclined to agree.

I've been looking for a way to make them sound less harsh, I had concluded that it was somewhere in the lower treble/upper mids.

With the 3Khz cut I described above, music sounds less nasally, cymbals sound more like they should, the soundstage is better separated, Music sounds much more in line with headpones/speakers I've been using for years.

It's still not quite perfect with every song, I am adjusting the bandwith as I go and hoping not to lose to much in the process, whilst bearing in mind that I'm not used to as much sparkle in the upper treble (which I shouldn't be affecting)

This is my experience so far, I am all ears for any advice you may have. I should note my background is in music and recording.

Hmm, interesting. I'm still using the music preset and eqing the 3khz area down 5db, only when using 3d mode with room ambience at about 30. When listening to stereo headphones normally, no dsp etc., I find I don't need to equalize several headphones that have a curve with 3khz up 10db, the HD650s, EL-8s, Alpha Primes, and HE-400i. I also have a few IEMS that play dead flat uncompensated that I enjoy the sound of as well. I really only ever use EQ when using convolution. As I said when using the Mobius that eq looks similar to the response of the Shure 535, flat and 3khz up 3-5db. When using PRIR convolution, however, that EQ gets much more drastic, shooting for at least a flat uncompensated response, and to be honest I think I might be rolling off over 2khz by about 5db.

Here's the EQ when using OOYH for
1.png
O.o

Super muffled but click on the prir convolution and bam, super detailed. So ya, very interesting that you prefer a flatter response for normal stereo and a brighter curve for convolution.

Screenshot_20190312-180615_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

And here's the Mobius' frequency response.
upload_2018-8-31_23-6-19.png

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #3,045 of 5,780
Hmm, interesting. I'm still using the music preset and eqing the 3khz area down 5db, only when using 3d mode with room ambience at about 30. When listening to stereo headphones normally, no dsp etc., I find I don't need to equalize several headphones that have a curve with 3khz up 10db, the HD650s, EL-8s, Alpha Primes, and HE-400i. I also have a few IEMS that play dead flat uncompensated that I enjoy the sound of as well. I really only ever use EQ when using convolution. As I said when using the Mobius that eq looks similar to the response of the Shure 535, flat and 3khz up 3-5db. When using PRIR convolution, however, that EQ gets much more drastic, shooting for at least a flat uncompensated response, and to be honest I think I might be rolling off over 2khz by about 5db.

Here's the EQ when using OOYH for
O.o

Super muffled but click on the prir convolution and bam, super detailed. So ya, very interesting that you prefer a flatter response for normal stereo and a brighter curve for convolution.

And here's the Mobius' frequency response.

I guess I prefer a mostly flat response? I had no idea that people made headphones with such a huge curve. Any idea why?

I did notice without the EQ that some picked electric guitar notes sounded more like they would if they were coming out of an amplifier (as if I was in the room), but only some, and only if I played them on the G string, and even then only through certain amps. This can't be the only reason!

I haven't tried EQing games, The Mobius are already very detailed, but I might try experimenting now you've shown me the 3Khz isn't necesary.

Thanks for the graph, it looks like I can be more confident in widening bandwidth, very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back