Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,251 of 5,780
So I've had these headphones for as short as a month and I'm experiencing some pretty major issues.

1. The 7.1 Surround Sound Audio channel sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday I had to switch it to 2CH-HiRes Audio.
2. The headset charging is very sensitive. This could be the headset or the cable itself, but sometimes my headphones won't charge.

It's quite alarming to have these problems this early into my purchase, and I paid full price for these things...
Ever since I've had these headphones, it felt like an early product by having to troubleshoot all the little issues it has. I've requested to send these to Audeze for repair, and now i'm waiting for a response... but I really wish I did not buy it. $400 is not cheap.
There are headsets 300$ cheaper that are built to last for at least 2 - 3 years.

Don't worry, been using them for 2 months and having zero issues. Audeze will take care of you.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,252 of 5,780
So I've had these headphones for as short as a month and I'm experiencing some pretty major issues.

1. The 7.1 Surround Sound Audio channel sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday I had to switch it to 2CH-HiRes Audio.
2. The headset charging is very sensitive. This could be the headset or the cable itself, but sometimes my headphones won't charge.

It's quite alarming to have these problems this early into my purchase, and I paid full price for these things...
Ever since I've had these headphones, it felt like an early product by having to troubleshoot all the little issues it has. I've requested to send these to Audeze for repair, and now i'm waiting for a response... but I really wish I did not buy it. $400 is not cheap.
There are headsets 300$ cheaper that are built to last for at least 2 - 3 years.

So dramatic.

50k usd products can fail. It happens. Just contact support and get a replacement. No need for drama Llama.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,253 of 5,780

1. How are you using 7.1 ch audio? when you say it does not work, does it mean you get no sound? It is highly unlikely to be a hardware issue and more likely related to settings or how your PC is configured.
2. There are a number of things that can affect charging and most of them not related to battery itself. If you leave Mobius connected to your PC, you need to make sure your PC is capable of charging Mobius when PC goes to sleep. Best way to confirm if battery is an issue is plug it into a wall charger.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,254 of 5,780
1. How are you using 7.1 ch audio? when you say it does not work, does it mean you get no sound? It is highly unlikely to be a hardware issue and more likely related to settings or how your PC is configured.
2. There are a number of things that can affect charging and most of them not related to battery itself. If you leave Mobius connected to your PC, you need to make sure your PC is capable of charging Mobius when PC goes to sleep. Best way to confirm if battery is an issue is plug it into a wall charger.

I experienced the issue with the 8CH (7.1 Surround Sound Mode) after I set my headset down for a few minutes. It may have accidentally hit one of the buttons on the side, or I may have pressed it while picking it up again, but I couldn't get it back to it's 7.1 surround sound, before and after I restarted my computer and headset. I even made sure that USB mode was enabled, charging was enabled, 3D mode was on, cable was connected properly, and that it was selected to the right channel. I noticed it only worked when selecting the 2CH-HiRes. The situation is fine now since this morning when it decided to work again, but it's not reassuring me that it'll stay that way. I'm also hearing some flimsy tinfoil or material being crunched up in the left ear cup if I apply pressure to it slightly.

2. My PC has been capable of charging my headset for the month that I had it, it just started causing an issue just this morning. I'm thinking that it's likely the cable going bad, since the software is showing that I'm at full charge.

So dramatic.

50k usd products can fail. It happens. Just contact support and get a replacement. No need for drama Llama.

I know I sound pessimistic or over dramatic, but this is the first pair of headphones that I've had problems with from the start and keeps giving me additional issues to worry about.

Don't worry, been using them for 2 months and having zero issues. Audeze will take care of you.

Thanks, I'm glad it worked out for you, and I hope so!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,255 of 5,780
experienced the issue with the 8CH (7.1 Surround Sound Mode) after I set my headset down for a few minutes. It may have accidentally hit one of the buttons on the side, or I may have pressed it while picking it up again, but I couldn't get it back to it's 7.1 surround sound, before and after I restarted my computer and headset. I even made sure that USB mode was enabled, charging was enabled, 3D mode was on, cable was connected properly, and that it was selected to the right channel. I noticed it only worked when selecting the 2CH-HiRes. The situation is fine now since this morning when it decided to work again, but it's not reassuring me that it'll stay that way. I'm also hearing some flimsy tinfoil or material being crunched up in the left ear cup if I apply pressure to it slightly.

2. My PC has been capable of charging my headset for the month that I had it, it just started causing an issue just this morning. I'm thinking that it's likely the cable going bad, since the software is showing that I'm at full charge.

Bad contacts/cable may explain the charging and also issue with USB 7.1 mode. Is it possible to try a different USB cable? I assume you have already tried a different port.

The ultra thin driver used in Mobius will move when there is a change in seal/pressure. So it is normal to crinkle if you push against the ear cup.

Nov 16, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,256 of 5,780
The ultra thin driver used in Mobius will move when there is a change in seal/pressure. So it is normal to crinkle if you push against the ear cup.
How careful has one have to be to avoid breaking something?
Or is the crinkling a symptom of already some lost tension?
Does the Mobius have/need highly tensioned diaphragms?
I don't have any crinkling sound here, but I always took care to avoid over pressure on the earcups.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,258 of 5,780
Try contacting Audeze directly and see if they can help you out with the current firmware - it allows head tracking to be turned off while keeping 3D on.
I personally prefer the head tracking on, but I can see how in your situation it would be good to have the option to turn it off.
It does not allow 3D without head tracking. If 3D is turned off, the 7 channels are flattened without HRTF and the LFE channel does not play back at all. This makes the 7.1 channel mode with 3D off essentially useless. Since the 3D setting is remembered across Bluetooth/7.1 mode, I still have to manually switch 3D off when switching to Bluetooth and switch it on for 7.1.
@Audeze Please remember the 3D setting separately for each mode.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,260 of 5,780
There's a "3D On" setting with the latest firmware. 3D without head tracking.
It says that in the PDF, but it's not there on my Mobius - I still only have Off / Manual / Auto. The other stuff changed though, like the voice over and persistence of the 3D setting.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,261 of 5,780
It says that in the PDF, but it's not there on my Mobius. The other stuff changed though, like the voice over and persistence of the 3D setting.

Perhaps there was an issue with your update, it's definitely there on mine. I've been testing it for a couple of weeks now.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,262 of 5,780
Perhaps there was an issue with your update, it's definitely there on mine. I've been testing it for a couple of weeks now.
So in 7.1 mode you have Off / On / Auto / Manual? What about in Stereo and Bluetooth mode?

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,263 of 5,780
It says that in the PDF, but it's not there on my Mobius - I still only have Off / Manual / Auto. The other stuff changed though, like the voice over and persistence of the 3D setting.
Please PM me as I do not know what you are referring to.

The firmware that enabled 3D on without head tracking was a limited beta. We are still working on the stability and have not released it.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,265 of 5,780
Yes in 7.1 via USB I have off/on/auto/manual.

I don't use the headpbones in 2 channel non high res mode so I haven't tested those.
In 7.1 3D off mode, does it still ignore the LFE channel?

Please PM me as I do not know what you are referring to.

The firmware that enabled 3D on without head tracking was a limited beta. We are still working on the stability and have not released it.
PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back