Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,267 of 5,780
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that when you turn 3D off there's no bass in the Mobius?
The main 7 channels are full-range, but any sound specifically played through the LFE channel is silent. If I switch 3D on, the LFE channel is audible.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,268 of 5,780
i got in on these early and havent really had a chance to use them until this last week.
i have thoroughly been enjoying watching movies and playing games with them, even in wired analog mode.
theyve even gotten more head time than my lcdi4 and Atticus.
really impressed!

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #2,270 of 5,780
Yes you get all the channels but with 3d off, you are down-mixing to 2 ch, so there will not be any surround or ambiance.
Mine doesn't playback the LFE channel when 3D is off. I'm trying the "Test" function in Windows on the playback device and the LFE is silent. I also tried a 7.1 test tone video and the LFE is silent with 3D off.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,271 of 5,780
Yes you get all the channels but with 3d off, you are down-mixing to 2 ch, so there will not be any surround or ambiance.
Shouldn't the LFE channel also be mixed in? I remember reading that the Dolby spec recommends the LFE channel be simply dropped when downmixing to stereo, but most content lacks bass without it. Practically every player's downmixer includes the LFE channel.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,272 of 5,780
Shouldn't the LFE channel also be mixed in? I remember reading that the Dolby spec recommends the LFE channel be simply dropped when downmixing to stereo, but most content lacks bass without it. Practically every player's downmixer includes the LFE channel.

I'm not noticing any lack of bass with 3D off, just doing some testing now since you asked.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,274 of 5,780
Yes all channels including LFE will be downmixed, none of them are dropped.
In my case the LFE is definitely dropped with 3D off. I've tried both WASAPI shared mode and exclusive mode, and the LFE is dropped in both cases. The moment I switch on 3D I can hear the LFE again, in the middle of the audio stream.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #2,275 of 5,780
I'm not noticing any lack of bass with 3D off, just doing some testing now since you asked.
Listen for the LFE channel using the Windows "Test" function on the 8ch playback device. Media isn't a good test since the bass can overlap with the other channels. You could also use some 7.1 speaker test tone videos which don't overlap the LFE with the mains.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,276 of 5,780
Listen for the LFE channel using the Windows "Test" function on the 8ch playback device. Media isn't a good test since the bass can overlap with the other channels. You could also use some 7.1 speaker test tone videos which don't overlap the LFE with the mains.

Your right, no bass tone on the windows test with 3D off.

I've never used the headphones with 3D off
since I got them (other then in high res mode). Not sure that I would ever use them like this...since I bought them for the 3D lol.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,277 of 5,780
Bad contacts/cable may explain the charging and also issue with USB 7.1 mode. Is it possible to try a different USB cable? I assume you have already tried a different port.

The ultra thin driver used in Mobius will move when there is a change in seal/pressure. So it is normal to crinkle if you push against the ear cup.

I don't have a different cable, but I plan to get one soon. For now I'll just keep monitoring the situation. Thank you for your help.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,278 of 5,780
Are these primarily for gaming and films or do they also satisfy music listeners?

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,279 of 5,780
Are these primarily for gaming and films or do they also satisfy music listeners?

They satisfy me for music to the point where I sold my LCD2. The LCD2 was definitely better but the margin was not quite as large as it’s price gap may imply. The Mobius’ portabilty And ease was a major improvement plus in deciding to part with the LCD2. No amps, no DACs, just plug into my iPad and I can listen anywhere. I still have IEMs for what I’d consider “critical” listening but I’m pretty pleased with these for everyday tunes.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #2,280 of 5,780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back