Audeze LCD-X
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,306 of 12,748
  You have great taste in music.  I've listened to a few of your recommendations and it's completely turned me on to some new stuff I would have never discovered otherwise.  Keep them coming!

Thanks. Glad you like it. Negura has a good influence on me with this lately :D 

Guys, has anybody tried LCD-X with Taboo MKIII or a good tube amp? If yes how did it sound? 

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,309 of 12,748
In all honesty, hype aside, how much better is the LCD-2 or LCD-X to the HifiMan HE-400... for those who have heard both?

I think it's a significant step up from the HE-400 to anything in the Audeze line. The HE-400 is an interesting headphone because of the tizzy treble peak--sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts. I spent a few days directly comparing the HD650, HE400, and LCD-2.2. The HE-400 had the ability to sound significantly better or significantly worse than the HD650, depending on the recording. On some recordings, the quality of the HE-400 came very close to the LCD-2.2, but with other recordings, the HE400 sounded like it had major flaws.

I decided that the HE-400's roller coaster of sound quality was too frustrating.  The HD650 doesn't reach the peaks of the HE-400, but is much more consistent with source material. The LCD-2.2 is consistently better than the HE-400 with most recordings.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,310 of 12,748
  1. LCD-XC sounds more coherent than the TH-900 to my ears
  2. TH-900 is like a feather compared to the LCD-XC
  3. LCD-XC isolates significantly more than the TH-900
  4. Bonus: Audeze gives you the choice to use light / custom cables, and the TH-900 does not

I haven´t used my TH-900 for quite some time - and now with the XC in the house - I can sell the TH-900s.

And, yes the LCD-X is a good headphone - but for those needing a high sound quality closed headphone, the LCD-XC is a strong contender. :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,311 of 12,748
  • LCD-XC sounds more coherent than the TH-900 to my ears
  • TH-900 is like a feather compared to the LCD-XC
  • LCD-XC isolates significantly more than the TH-900
  • Bonus: Audeze gives you the choice to use light / custom cables, and the TH-900 does not

I haven´t used my TH-900 for quite some time - and now with the XC in the house - I can sell the TH-900s.

And, yes the LCD-X is a good headphone - but for those needing a high sound quality closed headphone, the LCD-XC is a strong contender. :)

Very nice summary and hits all the points I had in mind. I think I made the right choice but I have not heard the X. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,312 of 12,748
In all honesty, hype aside, how much better is the LCD-2 or LCD-X to the HifiMan HE-400... for those who have heard both?

I currently own all three...I like the HE-400 and use them in a portable setup with the iBasso DB2/PB2. They are not at the same level as either pair Audeze from a pure sound quality perspective, but they are still quite enjoyable. You do need to change out the pleather pads for the cloth ones to get the best from them. They have many of the qualities of good planers...fast, articulate, nice mids. They are a little V-shaped in their response curve, but not nearly as much as the HE-4's.

The Audeze's are both more neutral and 'liquid' through the midrange.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #1,313 of 12,748

1. LCD-XC sounds more coherent than the TH-900 to my ears
  2. TH-900 is like a feather compared to the LCD-XC
  3. LCD-XC isolates significantly more than the TH-900
  4. Bonus: Audeze gives you the choice to use light / custom cables, and the TH-900 does not

Interesting thoughts. Good to see a different perspective. I had the chance to compare the LCD-XC & TH-900s side-by-side and personally for me, I think I still like the TH-900 signature more. I'm more accustom to the open sounding nature of the TH-900s than the XCs which sound a little too closed for my tastes. I will admit that the XCs are growing on more than when it first arrived to my home :-

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,315 of 12,748

I have both LCD-2 and HE-400 and overall I consider LCD-2 better, of course. However to my ears HE-400 can be better than LCD-2 in speed as well as airyness/spaciousness. I sometimes choose HE-400 over LCD-2 for some electronic music or whenever I want the music to sound more 'aggressive'.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,316 of 12,748
Fedex shipment info received for my XCs!!!!!
Hoping these pair well with the RSA71B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back