Audeze LCD-X
Feb 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #7,531 of 12,748
  Wanted to share a suspension strap idea I had that worked out surprisingly well (I do my best thinking in bed) 
blink.gif

I went through a vintage AKG phase a few years back; the only remnant being a K240 Sextett MP in stellar shape that I couldn't bear to part with. It turns out with not much effort I was able to rig the headstrap it onto my LCD-X headband, improving the comfort by a large margin:

Others will disagree, but I really l really like how it looks as well, it adds a nice vintage aesthetic to the X. Sextett headbands aren't terribly easy to come by, but since AKG has been using the same design for decades a new K240 headband should work just as well: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/015012-AKG-2058Z0902

Of course, this shares the same caveat of the Lohb strap in that those with larger heads will need to purchase the extended yokes. Otherwise, it's a very simple and inexpensive way to increase comfort if the stock band creates a pressure point at the very top of your head as it does with mine. It only requires removing the two screws from the top of the yoke rods, sliding the headband off and reassembling as shown (it was a bit tricky to get the tail ends of the K240 headband to fit onto the top of the rods).

I have some assorted scrap leather at home; at some point next week I'm going to use the K240 band as a template to make a leather version as well. We'll see how that goes!

beerchug.gif

This is genius. I just got my straps in from FullCompass and installed them on my LCD-3 and LCD-XC at home. They fit perfectly as showed in the pictures, almost as if they were specifically made for this purpose! They are very comfortable and a lot better than the Lohb straps (on those the loops would always pull out of adjustment). Including the $30 price of the extended yokes, you still save $120 over the Audeze carbon fibers (which they couldn't even manufacture correctly the first time).

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #7,532 of 12,748
This is genius. I just got my straps in from FullCompass and installed them on my LCD-3 and LCD-XC at home. They fit perfectly as showed in the pictures, almost as if they were specifically made for this purpose! They are very comfortable and a lot better than the Lohb straps (on those the loops would always pull out of adjustment). Including the $30 price of the extended yokes, you still save $120 over the Audeze carbon fibers (which they couldn't even manufacture correctly the first time).

Awesome, glad you like it! Makes all the difference in the world for me — no more pressure hotspot.

I highly recommend cutting a leather version using the AKG strap as a template if you're ever in the mood for a small project, depending on the softness of the leather it can improve comfort even further (feels every bit as nice as the Ether C, just more weight of course).

:beerchug:

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #7,533 of 12,748

imo the audeze headband looks a lot nicer but sure this is a good solution for those price sensitive or who want a solution now instead of waiting for the official solution.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #7,535 of 12,748
  As you can see below we have a vast range of HP's to play with. We had a HD800 (silver) and HD800S (black) and LCD-X at the same time (other HP's are the HiFiMan HE-6 and EtherC). The HD800S is a very different beast to the HD800. Far better.

Gear used was Auralic Vega DAC into Vioelectric V281 and a custom 300B Glenn tube amp.

I compared HD800, HD800S and LCD-X on the same music. HD800S is amazing and gets extremely close on bass. The thing is the HD800S is beating the LCD-X in all other areas. Audeze have some work to do. As always just my opinion.

How did the HE6 fare against the LCD X and HD800S?  Listened to the X's a week or so ago and am very likely to choose them as my next headphone purchase (dead set on planars of some type), but the sometimes outrageous hype around the HE6 (a few users here have said they're superior to the HE 1000) has piqued my interest.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #7,536 of 12,748
I've just bought a second hand LCD-X, lightly used for $975  from head-fi fellow, felt it was a nice bargain plus to check what all the fuss is about.

Now I'm thinking seriously to sell my HE-1000
confused.gif

Though, they are different beasts, LCD-X wins hands down in term of sound tangibility (I feel I can touch things with it). Marvelous headphone from Audeze. Damn it, I need to stick with it as I thought otherwise.

Hope it is not prone to driver failure as LCD3.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #7,537 of 12,748
  I've just bought a second hand LCD-X, lightly used for $975  from head-fi fellow, felt it was a nice bargain plus to check what all the fuss is about.

confused.gif

Though, they are different beasts, LCD-X wins hands down in term of sound tangibility (I feel I can touch things with it). Marvelous headphone from Audeze. Damn it, I need to stick with it as I thought otherwise.

My understanding is the the LCD-X has few failures 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #7,538 of 12,748
Got a screaming deal on mine from the 2nd owner and they're performing perfectly now, absolutely love them.  All the stories piqued my interest because I was unaware of the issues until after the fact, so I'm hoping they're either overblown or not as applicable to the X's.  I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it I guess.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #7,539 of 12,748
Most of the failure stories are about LCD-3 or 4.  I can only recall 2 instances if X failures on this thread (502 pages).  My X are now 10 months old and get 75/80% of head time. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #7,540 of 12,748
And on those two models is it primarily the wood (seemed like a bad idea anyways) or the drivers?

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #7,541 of 12,748
  And on those two models is it primarily the wood (seemed like a bad idea anyways) or the drivers?

Audeze publicly stated that it received a bad batch of drivers from a supplier.  However the problems seem to have had a longer shelf life than one bad batch or timeframe.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #7,542 of 12,748
That's a drag.  I went ahead and registered mine, and found out that I have access to a magic phone number to contact them about the cans should I need to.  Planning on not needing it though...

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #7,543 of 12,748
Welcome to the community, new LCD-X owners!  It's a great HP with unique SQ.  Pulls you in (like Pippen99) until you're fully addicted.  I liked my first pair so much, I bought a 2nd pair.  Plus, if you don't care for the old headband, you can now order the carbon-fiber upgraded headband from Audeze.  They are $200, but IMO worth it.  Makes the (somewhat heavy) cans more light and stable on your head.

Cheers -
RCB

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #7,544 of 12,748

confused.gif

you got a smoking good deal there, should be very happy.  

let's assume for a moment some day I buy some other cans, even totl ones like the 4's... there is no way i will ever sell my x's.  they are tuned just about perfectly for me and the music i enjoy.  have been rocking them since they were introduced and have had not a single problem so far (knock on wood).  they are very well built cans and magnificently linear from bass i can only feel to the highs i can't even.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #7,545 of 12,748

you got a smoking good deal there, should be very happy.  

let's assume for a moment some day I buy some other cans, even totl ones like the 4's... there is no way i will ever sell my x's.  they are tuned just about perfectly for me and the music i enjoy.  have been rocking them since they were introduced and have had not a single problem so far (knock on wood).  they are very well built cans and magnificently linear from bass i can only feel to the highs i can't even.

Yeah I agree. I have the LCD-3C's as well. I tried them for the first time in 6 months in the weekend. They have a nicer mid-range but I couldn't get the LCD-X's back on my head fast enough. They are just perfectly tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back