Audeze LCD-X
Feb 22, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #7,502 of 12,748
Just awesome pics and HP comparison - in a quiet environment where you can really hear the cans (unlike most meets) and with great rigs.  Thanks, all.

You all know that I keep the LCD-X and HD800, and for different reasons.  I enjoy the sound of the HD800 (with my current rig).  Not everybody likes it, but the SQ coming from the HD800 depends on many upstream factors.  The mids/treble of these cans are just right, for me.

I am not sure a darkened version of the HD800 would appeal to me, since I already have the LCD-X to rock out and get the full Audeze bass.  From reading your posts, the bass of the HD800S still doesn't match the LCD-X.  

Also, I disagree that the LCD-X midrange is lacking.  I find the X to be quite a reference sound (Audeze-style).  Listen again :).

FYI, the HD800S are listed at US$1700 by the major retailers.  I believe that price includes a balanced cable.  Same price as the LCD-X.

Rock on, y'all.
RCBinTN

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #7,503 of 12,748
Also, I disagree that the LCD-X midrange is lacking.  I find the X to be quite a reference sound (Audeze-style).  Listen again :).

Do you happen to have the fr graph of your LCD-X handy? Unfortunately I've seen a good amount of variation from pair to pair, and while I will concede that "neutral" varies from person, I find my pair to sound the way it reads: a 15dB drop from 1.5 to 3.5kHz (which is of course a million times better than a 15db boost, given that out ears are more sensitive in this region...)

I realize a perfectly flat response wouldn't actually sound good either, I would just prefer less of a cut, which requires some EQ compensation for me.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #7,505 of 12,748

I am not sure a darkened version of the HD800 would appeal to me, since I already have the LCD-X to rock out and get the full Audeze bass.  From reading your posts, the bass of the HD800S still doesn't match the LCD-X.  

FYI, the HD800S are listed at US$1700 by the major retailers.  I believe that price includes a balanced cable.  Same price as the LCD-X.

Rock on, y'all.
RCBinTN

I'm a (fairly recent) HD 800 S owner and I feel the talk of boosted bass is overstating it; there is a tad more bass for sure but it's more that the HD 800 bass response was slightly lacking (maybe 3db) and the S has been tuned closer to neutral. Having also demoed the X on a number of occassions, I would say that the X is bassier than the S but the S is by no means a 'darkened version' of the 800 - the main difference for me is that it's smoother. The acoustic absorber is the main change with the S and it has the effect of reducing the original's annoying treble peak. The bass response IMO, is not drastically altered.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #7,506 of 12,748
Do you happen to have the fr graph of your LCD-X handy? Unfortunately I've seen a good amount of variation from pair to pair, and while I will concede that "neutral" varies from person, I find my pair to sound the way it reads: a 15dB drop from 1.5 to 3.5kHz (which is of course a million times better than a 15db boost, given that out ears are more sensitive in this region...)

I realize a perfectly flat response wouldn't actually sound good either, I would just prefer less of a cut, which requires some EQ compensation for me.

I could only find the curve for my original pair - check the date - 10-28-2013.  Still going strong w/o any failures.

I see a drop of about 6-7dB between 1.5 and 3.5kHz, if I'm reading the graph correctly.  I bought a 2nd pair in 2015 and can't find a curve for them, but they sound really similar to the old pair...

Net - both my X which are 2-years apart in manufacture sound about the same.  Can you post your graph, for comparison?  Thanks.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #7,507 of 12,748
After I made my last post, about the HD800 sound quality, I went back and listened to this music...re: the bass.
 - Kansas Masque
 - Yes The Yes Album
 - Yes Fragile

If you want to hear great bass from the HD800, check out Yes' Perpetual Change or Roundabout.  Very smooth, reference bass by Chris Squire.

IMO,
RCB

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #7,508 of 12,748
  Can you post your graph, for comparison?  Thanks.

Sure, here it is:

To be clear, they really are some fantastic sounding headphones, and my complaint about recessed mids is a fairly minor quibble... A little EQ and they are perfect 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #7,510 of 12,748

At that 'supreme levels' it shakes a bit,right?

I did hear some shaking going on tonight, listening to the Alabama Shakes album "Sound and Color" track Future People.  But, that may be the way the music is engineered.  
L3000.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,512 of 12,748
Well, after all my raves about the HD800 (on this thread?) tonight I put on the LCD-X.  I'm raising my grade to an "8."  Every time I put these HP's on, they just blow me away with their sound.  With the new carbon-fiber headband, they are even better - more stable and comfortable.  The bass is exceptional, but not prominent.  The mids are what get me about these cans...just perfect, IMHO.

Young the Giant - Young the Giant
Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Kansas - Masque
John Mellencamp - Scarecrow

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #7,515 of 12,748
  Dude,have you heard about WyWires red cable for LCDx? There is a thread on it;they say it does wonders for LCDx.

Got 'em pal.  All my HP's have Wywires red.  I absolutely Love and Recommend them.  Alex is the cable man!!

Prost,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back