Audeze LCD-X
Apr 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #6,316 of 12,748

It's not as clear cut as that...
The headphone Z being purely resistive means it won't vary with frequency, so it doesn't affect the frequency response. It also doesn't create a back emf so no issues with damping factor.
However, it is still wise to have a low amplifier output Z for low Z headphones because they are better matched to deliver the power efficiently.
Using a high Z amplifier (100+ Ohms) with a low Z headphone, generally, it won't be able to drive them adequately regardless if the are planars or not.
With very efficient headphones these days, some might but it won't be optimal, the amplifier will be running close to its maximum, not the best place to be for good sound quality.

The power issue, now that I can see may definitely be relevant. That depends on the amp and sensitivity of the headphones though, and what kind of power the amp puts out - probably part of the reason speaker amps hold so much appeal for planars, their often-high output resistance isn't troublesome and they have the reserves to still power the headphone.

If we're referring specifically to the HDVD800, well, I haven't heard that many good things about that amp with any headphone, much less planars.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #6,317 of 12,748

Just a guess, but I bet your Taurus pairs well with your LCD-2.2.
Am I right?

Cheers,
RCB

Yeah, the Taurus pairs awesomely with virtually everything (except my HE-6, where it's pretty good, but not that close to their potential).

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #6,319 of 12,748
 can someone give me a recommendation for a portable amp to use for playing out of my android smart phone? budget doesn't really matter I think ( not sure how pricey these get)
if budget doesn't matter I'd get a Chord Hugo.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #6,320 of 12,748
Sometimes I wonder why I dident buy the LCD-3F.
Or maybe its just my amplifier, but they sound rather thin with certain music, especially rock. 
However do I love the more punch for electronicly made music. 
Oh well, I guess the differences are pretty minimal anyway :D 

But the Mojo paired with LCD-X is not very good with its brightness. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #6,321 of 12,748
Or maybe its just my amplifier, but they sound rather thin with certain music, especially rock. 

"Thin" is my impression of the XC, but definitely not the X.  Where the X seems full to my ears, the 3 seemed outright thick in the mids.  Other people's descriptors of this effect include "lush", "luscious", "rich".  So it's likely a matter of taste, I gather.  :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,323 of 12,748
  Any experiences with the X and a Schiit Lyr 2? 

I have that pairing. It works :)

the lcd-x is easy to drive, so really most anything would work.

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #6,324 of 12,748

But the Mojo paired with LCD-X is not very good with its brightness

Beg to differ, but my Gungnir/Mjolnir stack sounds fabulous with my LCD-X and just about as good as with the Gungnir/Rag stack that replaced it recently. No sense of "brightness" at all, just excellent natural sound, just like what comes out of it into my KEF LS50s too.

DSNORD

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #6,325 of 12,748

"Thin" is my impression of the XC, but definitely not the X.  Where the X seems full to my ears, the 3 seemed outright thick in the mids.  Other people's descriptors of this effect include "lush", "luscious", "rich".  So it's likely a matter of taste, I gather.  :)

+1
maybe he means in the bass is thin.  Also the x has more punch than the 3f as well. After reading impressions of the x having a flatter midrange I wasn't expecting it to sound as full as it does. I'm a mid range head and the 3f sounds a bit too thick but it doesn't have the slight peak I am hearing with the x in the treble(prob only really noticeable next to the 3f but sometimes I eq it down a smidge), though this peak isn't abrasive but rather smooth. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #6,327 of 12,748
Yeah, that's right! I knew that but it temporarily vacated my memory. I'm waiting for a tracking number on my X.

That is great to hear, looking forward to hearing your impressions sir.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,328 of 12,748

Yeah, that's right! I knew that but it temporarily vacated my memory. I'm waiting for a tracking number on my X.

That is great to hear, looking forward to hearing your impressions sir.

Thanks, Red. I'll put this bad boy through its paces and report back.

Meanwhile, I'm burning in my Voskhod grays in my Lyr 2 and using my Philips Fidelio X2s, and the pairing is exquisite. I EQ'd the X2 just a smidge and the sound quality and performance is superb.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #6,329 of 12,748

Meanwhile, I'm burning in my Voskhod grays in my Lyr 2 and using my Philips Fidelio X2s, and the pairing is exquisite. I EQ'd the X2 just a smidge and the sound quality and performance is superb.

I really enjoy the lcd-x's sound signature. hope you like em! if you run into comfort issues with them, i can give a lot of different mod suggestions. the lcd-x were way to heavy for me stock.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,330 of 12,748

I really enjoy the lcd-x's sound signature. hope you like em! if you run into comfort issues with them, i can give a lot of different mod suggestions. the lcd-x were way to heavy for me stock.

Thanks, man. Mod suggestions are definitely appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back