Audeze LCD-X
Mar 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6,286 of 12,748
thank you! That's pretty reassuring. So now I can buy them and save up for a better DAC/Amp. Sadly there's no official distributor of Schiit Audio in my country, so I have to import them. What do you think of Cypher Labs Theorem 720 for the LCD-X?

have not tried that specific pairing so i cant help you out there. really almost any amp wld work w the lcdx in terms of power requirements and playing music at listenin volumes without clippin. finding a sound quality level or prefered sound signature you are comfortable with wld b hard to say until you try the lcdx with your current stuff & can make comments abt what you feel you are missing or want. hope u like em! :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #6,287 of 12,748
  I was thinking about buying a Norne cable for my LCD-X, is it worth it?
Else I have my old Q Audio cable which ive used with LCD-2's for the past years.

I believe so, I have an Arcane and when I first switched to it from the stock cable, I thought I heard a pretty noticeable improvement in soundstage (strange?), separation and details. Just my impressions. It could be placebo as many like to believe but most others I've had demo it agree with me. 
As a person who tries a number of after market cables, I can say that it's primary role is to fine tune the sound signature. You should identify what you want out of the cable upgrade before choosing one. The Solv X is a good cable for all-round improvement in my opinion (it's hybrid like the Arcane but a lot cheaper). 

I'm thinking to buy a slightly used LCD X (down to $1375 from $2050 in my country). It's used very little and was purchased 2 months ago.

The problem is I'm currently using an entry level setup ATH M50x and Fiio E11k. The source is from my PC. Will I be able to drive LCD X with just a Fiio E11k?

Obviously I'll buy a better DAC/amp, but I need to save up first. Can you guys recommend me a DAC/Amp combo for LCD X on various price points?

I'm currently using LH Labs Geek Pulse XFi dac/amp and it sounds pretty damn amazing. I also have an Audio GD NFB-6 balanced amp which I connect the XFi to using Van Den Hul Orchid XLR and I really love the sound out of this combo. My partner disagrees and prefers the sound straight out of the headphone out on the XFi. She believes it sounds much too forward out of the NFB-6 and it's a lot more natural out of the XFi. 

The only other things I've compared it to are NFB 1.32 DAC with NFB-6 and NFB 1.32 with Schiit Mjolnir. I thought the NFB 1.32 to NFB 6 (using a silver XLR - not the Orchid) sounded technically awesome but possibly a bit sterile. The Mjolnir is super bright and exciting but can get too much so in my opinion. My partner loves it though and uses the NFB 1.32 + Mjolnir at her work. She has an Alpha Prime though which in my opinion needs an exciting amp like the Mjolnir. 

Out of my limited experience, the XFi + NFB-6 or XFi alone is an excellent setup. If your budget is huge, I recommend trying the Hugo or better yet Hugo to a Bakoon HPA 01M or HPA 01 or HPA 21. When I tried that combo it had a huge wow factor but it was at a shop and I haven't tried it for long term listening. 

Which upgrade cable should I get for my X? I've read a few different opinions but I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think.

I love hybrid cables because they always improve clarity without sounding "silver-like". Norne Solv, Whiplash Hybrid V3, Toxic Virus. Those are my three recommendations. I own all 3 (not for my LCD-X) for one headphone or another. Actually I have the Arcane instead of the Solv but I think the Solv would probably be far better value. I got the Arcane because it looked so damn hardcore. I probably would have been happy with the Solv. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #6,288 of 12,748
  thank you! That's pretty reassuring.

thank you! That's pretty reassuring. So now I can buy them and save up for a better DAC/Amp. Sadly there's no official distributor of Schiit Audio in my country, so I have to import them. What do you think of Cypher Labs Theorem 720 for the LCD-X?

Any reason you're getting small portable dac/amps for your LCD-X? Perhaps for similar money I would think you could get a more powerful desktop unit that would complement the LCD-X better? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #6,289 of 12,748

Any reason you're getting small portable dac/amps for your LCD-X? Perhaps for similar money I would think you could get a more powerful desktop unit that would complement the LCD-X better? 

the reason is because I'm not too knowledgeable about amps/dacs. They are also kinda hard to find in my country (stores are dominated by portable amps).

Could you please recommend me a desktop amp/dac that's suitable for LCD-X? If it sounds better and offers much more bang for the buck, I'm all for it. I'll only use the LCD-X at home, so I might as well get a bulky and cool looking gears.

Edit: nvm I missed your recommendations in the above post. I'll look into those, thanks a lot!

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #6,290 of 12,748
  the reason is because I'm not too knowledgeable about amps/dacs. They are also kinda hard to find in my country (stores are dominated by portable amps).

Could you please recommend me a desktop amp/dac that's suitable for LCD-X? If it sounds better and offers much more bang for the buck, I'm all for it. I'll only use the LCD-X at home, so I might as well get a bulky and cool looking gears.

If your budget extends to around $1k USD, the following would be good options. 

Oppo HA-01, Audio GD NFB-28, LH Labs Geek Pulse XFi (second hand at $1k or less). 

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #6,291 of 12,748

Edit: nvm I missed your recommendations in the above post. I'll look into those, thanks a lot!

Well, I would sugest the Meridian Prime. Works very well with Audeze and they use the Prime at their shows.
Or the usual suspects like the Chord or Schiit...

B

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6,293 of 12,748
  has anyone tried LCD X with the new Audeze Deckard?

No, I've not had the chance to try that combo.  

With the exception of maybe Oppo and Hifiman, I find that you can usually find better value by NOT using the dac/amps made by the same headphone company. Of course the Deckard is a new thing so it could very well be awesome but so far the impressions I've read make it out to be a "decent" product but nothing exceptional. I'm also interested to hear from those who've actually had a listen. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #6,295 of 12,748

i have the wa7 and i do think it is a nice match w the lcdxs, but i also think that you can get more for your money in terms of performance as the dac is a bit lacking in comparison esp at the $1k+ price point.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #6,296 of 12,748
I got my LCD-X today actually, and been enjoying them ALOT the whole day!
I was worried my Mjolnir and irDAC might be too bright/harsh, but so far it seems to be ok.
My brother whos older then me thought it was a tad too much. But im not sure yet. 

How is the ragnarok compared to mojo when it comes to brightness? 

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #6,297 of 12,748
  I got my LCD-X today actually, and been enjoying them ALOT the whole day!
I was worried my Mjolnir and irDAC might be too bright/harsh, but so far it seems to be ok.
My brother whos older then me thought it was a tad too much. But im not sure yet. 

How is the ragnarok compared to mojo when it comes to brightness? 

there are 3 amps that are excellent with lcd-x:

1) audio gd master 9
2) Violectric V281
3) bryston bha-1

i have all of them but the master 9 is my end game amp especially with the lcd-x

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #6,298 of 12,748

there are 3 amps that are excellent with lcd-x:

1) audio gd master 9
2) Violectric V281
3) bryston bha-1

i have all of them but the master 9 is my end game amp especially with the lcd-x

Have you heard the Ragnarok?

Origionally I had my eyes V281, Taurus Mk2 (cause I can get "new" for good price) and Ragnarok.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #6,299 of 12,748
  Have you heard the Ragnarok?

Origionally I had my eyes V281, Taurus Mk2 (cause I can get "new" for good price) and Ragnarok.

i heard it at canjam last year but not with the lcd-x ( i was using my modded balanced hd650 at the time)
I was quite impressed but not so impressed.But i don't know if that ragnarok was a pre-production model or a final sale model so take my words with a grain of salt

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #6,300 of 12,748

i heard it at canjam last year but not with the lcd-x ( i was using my modded balanced hd650 at the time)
I was quite impressed but not so impressed.But i don't know if that ragnarok was a pre-production model or a final sale model so take my words with a grain of salt

How is the Bryston?
Isent the Bryston and Mjolnir suppose to be kinda similar, just that Bryston is boring and Mjolnir is fun? :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back