Audeze LCD-X
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #6,303 of 12,748
Feeling this Lcd-x

It sounds very overpriced next to the he4 but still better with satisfying bass, smooth mids that are full,tons of texture but still not really open sounding.

I downgraded to this from the lcd3f and for modern music and electronic stuff that needs impact this seems like an upgrade with better bass extension and slam. While I believe this much money should sound a lot more open... Its still my second fav headphone of all times after the he6.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #6,306 of 12,748
so I asked my local store what Dac/amps they have and what do they recommend to pair with my LCD-X.

They gave me this list:

Grace Design M903
Woo Audio WA6
Bakoon HDA-5210mk3
Masskobo 393
Sennheiser HDVD800 

does anyone has experience pairing LCD-X with anything mentioned above? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #6,307 of 12,748
  so I asked my local store what Dac/amps they have and what do they recommend to pair with my LCD-X.

They gave me this list:

Grace Design M903
Woo Audio WA6
Bakoon HDA-5210mk3
Masskobo 393
Sennheiser HDVD800 

I don’t know about the other amp in your list, but Sennheiser HDVD 800 is not a good match because of the low impedance of the X (22 Ohm) and the high impedance of the senn. The senn is pretty good for LCD 3F (110 Ohm).

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #6,308 of 12,748

I don’t know about the other amp in your list, but Sennheiser HDVD 800 is not a good match because of the low impedance of the X (22 Ohm) and the high impedance of the senn. The senn is pretty good for LCD 3F (110 Ohm).

what are the consequences of pairing a low impedance headphone with a high impedance amp?

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #6,309 of 12,748
  what are the consequences of pairing a low impedance headphone with a high impedance amp?

If not a good (impedance) synergy between amp and headphone it will not give you the best SQ. The Senn is more like an OTL Vacuum tube amp that plays best with high Ohms phones. The HDVD 800 is made to be paired with the HD 800 (300 Ohms) and other high Ohm phones.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #6,310 of 12,748

If not a good (impedance) synergy between amp and headphone it will not give you the best SQ. The Senn is more like an OTL Vacuum tube amp that plays best with high Ohms phones. The HDVD 800 is made to be paired with the HD 800 (300 Ohms) and other high Ohm phones.

The X is planar magnetic though, so the output impedance of the amp is fairly irrelevant with respect to this particular headphone.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #6,311 of 12,748

The X is planar magnetic though, so the output impedance of the amp is fairly irrelevant with respect to this particular headphone.

I don’t think that the fact that it is a planar make it less impedance dependent.

Here is that Tyll Hertsens says about the raised impedance on the LCD 3F.

“Audeze LCD-3 w/Fazor - Along with the addition of the Fazor, one recent change to the LCD-3 circuit (diaphragm trace pattern) has raised the headphone's impedance from about 50 Ohms to 110 Ohms. This, to me, is a delightful change as the higher impedance will make the LCD-3 a more appropriate match for tube amplifiers with relatively high output impedances. I spent my first day of listening and tube rolling with the Pete Millett designed Apex Hi-Fi Audio Teton yesterday. The LCD-3 was a lovely match with its Fazor-improved resolution allowing me to clearly hear the changes as I swapped tubes. This classy headphone continues to earn its position in the pantheon of high-end reference cans.”

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-fazor-and-fresh-listen-current-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,312 of 12,748
Interesting that he says that, but I'm not sure he's correct (it wouldn't be the first time) .

Here is what Oppo had to say about planars: 'OPPO PM-1’s purely resistive impedance means that sound quality is unaffected by a headphone amplifier’s output impedance'

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6,313 of 12,748
Interesting that he says that, but I'm not sure he's correct (it wouldn't be the first time) .

Here is what Oppo had to say about planars: 'OPPO PM-1’s purely resistive impedance means that sound quality is unaffected by a headphone amplifier’s output impedance'

It's not as clear cut as that...
The headphone Z being purely resistive means it won't vary with frequency, so it doesn't affect the frequency response. It also doesn't create a back emf so no issues with damping factor.
However, it is still wise to have a low amplifier output Z for low Z headphones because they are better matched to deliver the power efficiently.
Using a high Z amplifier (100+ Ohms) with a low Z headphone, generally, it won't be able to drive them adequately regardless if the are planars or not.
With very efficient headphones these days, some might but it won't be optimal, the amplifier will be running close to its maximum, not the best place to be for good sound quality.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #6,314 of 12,748

They gave me this list:

Grace Design M903
Woo Audio WA6
Bakoon HDA-5210mk3
Masskobo 393
Sennheiser HDVD800 

I have paired the LCD-X with the Sennheiser HDVA600, the same amp as contained (with a DAC) in the HDVD800.  I do not recommend the HDVA600 amp with the LCD-X.  The mids/treble are veiled and muddy.  I think the HDVA600 is designed for higher-impedance cans - the amp pairs well with my HD800 that are 300 ohms.

Don't forget about the Schiit Audio Mjolnir.  That's my amp for the LCD-X/XC low impedance cans.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #6,315 of 12,748

Just a guess, but I bet your Taurus pairs well with your LCD-2.2.
Am I right?

Cheers,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back