Audeze LCD-X
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #5,342 of 12,748

I will probably demo both X and 3F but I have a feeling I will probably prefer the LCD-3F.
Prefer more forward and warmer midrange. 

If you prefer a warmer/more romantic mid-range, then the LCD-3s would be my recommendation. If you're looking for a more neutral presentation and more "air", then I'd go with the LCD-X. Even better, go with both? 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,343 of 12,748
I think the X is darker than the 2 and 3 from bass to midrange, but it definitely has more mid-treble.  So it's darker and brighter at the same time-- characteristic quasi-u shaped sound.  2 and 3 I consider mid-centric and decently balanced, with mild-treble rolloff.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #5,344 of 12,748
  I think the X is darker than the 2 and 3 from bass to midrange, but it definitely has more mid-treble.  So it's darker and brighter at the same time-- characteristic quasi-u shaped sound.  2 and 3 I consider mid-centric and decently balanced, with mild-treble rolloff.

That darker and brighter reminds me of a Vintage Original Grado RS1 with flats.  LOL. Now you got me interested in the X. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5,345 of 12,748

I definitely hear it the opposite...I found the 2/3 darker overall. From the mid-range to the bass, they're all about the same, but there is more "bloom" on the 3 which gives it a very romantic sound. None of these headphones are "U"...sorry to say it again, but the measurements back this up too (as per the previous graphs). Simply having more extended upper mids and treble doesn't make a headphone "U" shaped...that comes when that treble is so much that it's out of proportion to the mids (like the D7000s or GS1000s)...and I think the LCD-3's treble is slightly pushed back beyond what I would consider " neutral"....and the LCD-X hits that target closer. This is were I think our views differ. As a result, I find the LCD-X a bit more neutral with a more open sound and thus a better "all rounder".

The TH-900s have a fun "U" sound, the D7000s and GS1000s more so, but definitely not the 2/3/X.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #5,346 of 12,748

+1. I am so happy that I am finally getting the hang of the FR. I was listening to the X for about 5 hours yesterday (no weight issues 
wink.gif
). Started noticing just that tad of sound missing in the midrange. The XC in contrast is almost shouty (to me) in this area. Boy I now miss the LCD 3c that I traded for the Stax 009 (not a bad trade anyway). Would it be out of place to call the X a milder, more neutral version of the Fostex TH 900?

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #5,347 of 12,748

+1. I am so happy that I am finally getting the hang of the FR. I was listening to the X for about 5 hours yesterday (no weight issues 
wink.gif
). Started noticing just that tad of sound missing in the midrange. The XC in contrast is almost shouty (to me) in this area. Boy I now miss the LCD 3c that I traded for the Stax 009 (not a bad trade anyway). Would it be out of place to call the X a milder, more neutral version of the Fostex TH 900?

Yea the XC is definitely shouty in the upper midrange.  I haven't heard the TH900, but I assume that the X is more mild and neutral compared to it.  TH900 seems to be famous for being wildly colored.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #5,348 of 12,748
Hi all

So I am a happy LCD-X user, which I pair with a Burson Conductor SL, its so nice.

My main upset with the LCD-X, is the comfort, and its something to do with the headband after a while, its almost as if I can feel the wire inside the headband.
Its probably due to the weight of the headphones, and over time becomes more apparent.

How can I make the headband more comfortable?

Many thanks

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,351 of 12,748
Maybe extending the cups a little lower and shifting the headband more in front/back of the head until you find a spot where it doesn't hurt? For me it does the trick.
Last resort could be adding some kind of cushion (fabric, towel, foam?) between the headband and the head.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #5,355 of 12,748
  Hi all

So I am a happy LCD-X user, which I pair with a Burson Conductor SL, its so nice.

My main upset with the LCD-X, is the comfort, and its something to do with the headband after a while, its almost as if I can feel the wire inside the headband.
Its probably due to the weight of the headphones, and over time becomes more apparent.

How can I make the headband more comfortable?

Many thanks

Strange, I always shave my head completely bald, and I think the headband is perfectly comfortable directly on my skin, even when using the headphone for 5 - 8 hours. 
The advice of extending the cups lower is a good one: that also gives a bit less clamp pressure on the ears. You can also move the headband on your head a little bit from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back