Audeze LCD-X
Nov 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5,311 of 12,748
this thing, DAC-side, is really a keeper! 
gs1000.gif

ak100mk2 / macbook pro retina >> micro idsd >> pure II >> LCD-X

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #5,312 of 12,748
So weird.....with the LCD-X most songs sound quite a bit better than with my AKG, but some songs suddenly sound absolutely amazing! 

There now is a liveliness to them that I never have experienced before. Strangely enough this happens especially to mediocre songs; they improve the most with these headphones.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,313 of 12,748
This is a cruel thing of high-end audio, how suddently bad recordings are stuck and don't scale with the better equipement, while other recordings scale and become stunning. Personally I think it is frustrating, I would like all recordings to sound fantastic with my equipment, but that is not the way it is.
Then comes the dilemma: can I stand listening to good music with bad recordings?
It's all part of the fun.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,314 of 12,748
  This is a cruel thing of high-end audio, how suddently bad recordings are stuck and don't scale with the better equipement, while other recordings scale and become stunning. Personally I think it is frustrating, I would like all recordings to sound fantastic with my equipment, but that is not the way it is.
Then comes the dilemma: can I stand listening to good music with bad recordings?

One huge benefit of the rolled off treble of the LCD-X compared to the brightness of the AKG K712 is that those nasty distortions of lower bitrate MP3's are far less in-your-face. Sure, I still turn the volume down when I hear something of such a low quality on my favorite internet radiostation, but with the AKG it really was torture to hear something like that.

And badly recorded songs (with a good bitrate) actually sound fun now! 
biggrin.gif
 (Unless sibilant; I still hate that!) 
Hearing flaws in songs has become a bit of a hobby now, but that probably is caused by the initial awe I am in of the LCD-X! 
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #5,315 of 12,748
  For me they are my favourite dynamic/ortho dynamic pair of headphones. They are simply that magical and I still smile every time I listen to them!

+1

It has only been recently that I've finally been able to begin sharing the love with my other headphones again. The Xs had ruined me for the rest of my gear for the first six months or so. I've had my pair since January of this year and I've not purchased a single additional pair of headphones since. I also have no desire to do so. I had a feeling once I finally moved to a planar headphone (huge Magnepan guy here) this might happen. The LCD-2s got me real close, and I could have been very happy with those, but once I heard the Xs there was just no going back. They leave me wanting for nothing. The perfect headphone for my tastes and preferences. Amen, hallelujah. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,316 of 12,748

I agree, it's absolutely shocking at times. I listen to some over-produced, compressed pop song one minute, and then put on something from one of Jack Johnson's albums (his stuff is recorded amazingly well) and it's literally a massive night and day difference. The JJ track just comes alive and immediately immerses me in sound. Properly recorded music is presented through the Xs in a way that most people I know have never experienced. Truly amazing. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5,317 of 12,748

I agree, it's absolutely shocking at times. I listen to some over-produced, compressed pop song one minute, and then put on something from one of Jack Johnson's albums (his stuff is recorded amazingly well) and it's literally a massive night and day difference. The JJ track just comes alive and immediately immerses me in sound. Properly recorded music is presented through the Xs in a way that most people I know have never experienced. Truly amazing. 

Agree 100%. I just can't fathom when I read that some consider the X thin sounding (lean) or having tubby bass. I moved into the X from the LCD3c [LCD2r2 before that] and the improvement was nothing less than dramatic. Personally I can find no fault with the X at least as far as my limited experience with audiophile goes (and always add that caveat as it should be duly noted) however I do know what sounds great to my taste and these headphones tick all the boxes. Plus the migration from phone to phone has been on the same amp and dac so those variables were not in play during evaluation. I have close to 1000 hours on these X and they are just exemplary.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,318 of 12,748

+1

It has only been recently that I've finally been able to begin sharing the love with my other headphones again. The Xs had ruined me for the rest of my gear for the first six months or so. I've had my pair since January of this year and I've not purchased a single additional pair of headphones since. I also have no desire to do so. I had a feeling once I finally moved to a planar headphone (huge Magnepan guy here) this might happen. The LCD-2s got me real close, and I could have been very happy with those, but once I heard the Xs there was just no going back. They leave me wanting for nothing. The perfect headphone for my tastes and preferences. Amen, hallelujah. 

Amen brother.  They are Awesome Cans.
However, the X's are open - so for folks who desire a similar experience closed -> LCD-XC.  The XC are great cans, too.

All the Best -
RCBinTN

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5,320 of 12,748
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5,321 of 12,748
BTW, we're at about the one year anniversary of the LCD-X's release. I wonder if we might be able to get some retrospective, first year of ownership impressions from the early adopters -- now that the Stax-killing hype had abated, and the rest of the Audeze line had migrated to Fazor drivers, and the amp landscape had changed a bit as well.

A great idea, thanks Planet.

I've had my "X" for about a year.  I was an early adopter.  I considered the LCD-2, but when the lower impedance LCD-X came out I went for them instead.  I had never heard any Audez'e cans at that point.

I was not disappointed.

Since buying the X, I have been driving them with my Uber Bifrost / Asgard 2.  I have never become tired of the "X" sound signature.  If anything, the sound has improved with age like a fine wine.

After some time, I needed a closed can so went with the LCD-XC.  They are a great complement to the X.  The sound of the XC is quite different, but they are more similar to the X than they are different  I still prefer the X for most music, but the XC are really good for rock and guitar music that some Head-Fi folks have asked about :).

Net, the "X" are exceptional headphones.  I would recommend them and personally I will never go back!! 

All the Best,
RCB

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #5,322 of 12,748
hi guys,

i use LCD X and LCD 2F
yesterday i tried X and 2F with schiit lyr (basic tube) and i read some articles that described lyr schiit is made for planar driver like lcds

but i found that lyr is not very good when colaborate with X, in another ways, i found lyr is very nice combine with 2F
is that the factor of the tube? should i change the tube for make it sound good when i combine with X?
or i should change another amp?

what amp are you guys using with X?

:)

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #5,323 of 12,748
Advert,
I had the same experience you did. The Lyr (1) worked very well with the LCD 2.2 (in my case) but does not combine as well with the X. To drive my X, I find the Mjolnir is the best followed by the Project Ember amp.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5,324 of 12,748
Trying on all three (LCD-2,X,3) threads to get all those who have listened or owned all three:

Which LCD-__  has a slight bump or emphasis in the 250hz to 3khz? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back