Audeze LCD-X
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,326 of 12,748

+1

It has only been recently that I've finally been able to begin sharing the love with my other headphones again. The Xs had ruined me for the rest of my gear for the first six months or so. I've had my pair since January of this year and I've not purchased a single additional pair of headphones since. I also have no desire to do so. I had a feeling once I finally moved to a planar headphone (huge Magnepan guy here) this might happen. The LCD-2s got me real close, and I could have been very happy with those, but once I heard the Xs there was just no going back. They leave me wanting for nothing. The perfect headphone for my tastes and preferences. Amen, hallelujah. 

Very curious about Maggies... a few months ago I had almost convinced myself to get serious about them but then I was turned off by the McIntosh Rep who told me they didn't pair well with the MC302 amp I have had my eyes on forever.  As well the room I would be putting them in is only 12x12 and I was told they need a lot bigger space and are very finicky with position.  What are they like?  I have actually never heard a pair or seen one live but I love the idea of it producing the music in that 'wall of sound' planar manner.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5,327 of 12,748
I've only had the LCD X for about 2 months, but I can confidently say that it ticks all of the boxes for me. I've gone through quite a few headphones in the past year including HD800 (twice), LCD 3F, LCD 2.2, Beyer T1, and TH900, and none of those headphones are as satisfactory to my ears as the LCD X. There was always something that bothered me about all of my other cans when listening to my favourite music (rock, pop, hip hop). Not saying the X is a better headphone than the rest, but it suits my tastes the best and I can't fault it at all. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #5,328 of 12,748
After a long pause of listening to  LCD-X I finally put them back on the head. I wasn't disappointed. They sound amazing with M9.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #5,329 of 12,748
  Trying on all three (LCD-2,X,3) threads to get all those who have listened or owned all three:

Which LCD-__  has a slight bump or emphasis in the 250hz to 3khz? 

XC has the most energy around 2-3khz.  X the least around 3khz.  LCD2 and 3 are very similar in that area.

All 3 have lots of energy in the lower midrange from 250-1khz.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,330 of 12,748

XC has the most energy around 2-3khz.  X the least around 3khz.  LCD2 and 3 are very similar in that area.

All 3 have lots of energy in the lower midrange from 250-1khz.

Thanks. Which has the most forward mids? Besides the XC.  Don't like closed headphones. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #5,331 of 12,748

Thanks. Which has the most forward mids? Besides the XC.  Don't like closed headphones. 

Here ya go! 
biggrin.gif

The 2 is quite famous for its dark sound and the 3 for its warm sound.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,332 of 12,748
I did the "build a graph" at headroom too and it seems to indicate the LCD-2 as the most mid forward.
But actual sound vs graph can be quite different. 

But it seems you're saying the LCD-3 is the most mid forward. 

Here ya go! 
biggrin.gif

The 2 is quite famous for its dark sound and the 3 for its warm sound.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #5,333 of 12,748
  I did the "build a graph" at headroom too and it seems to indicate the LCD-2 as the most mid forward.
But actual sound vs graph can be quite different. 

But it seems you're saying the LCD-3 is the most mid forward. 

Well what I've read on several sites is that the LCD-2 has more accent on the bass and lower mids, and the LCD-3 on the mids in general and it also has a decent amount of bass. Strangely enough the graph shows the LCD-3 should be relatively weak at the midrange. (Sorry I got confused a bit with the frequencies and the graph indeed doesn't really support what is said about these headphones.)

Of the LCD-X many people say the mids are recessed, but I haven't got the foggiest idea why people think that. I can't compare it to the 2 and the 3 since I don't know anymoby who owns one of those, but I absolutely love it!

By the way: if I take the dBSPL chart of my LCD-X and compare it to the DbR of the LCD-X in this chart, the differences are huge! I know very little about measurements so maybe these 2  sorts of graphs don't have anything to do with eachother, but it does puzzle me.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5,334 of 12,748
  Well what I've read on several sites is that the LCD-2 has more accent on the bass and lower mids, and the LCD-3 on the mids in general and it also has a decent amount of bass. Strangely enough the graph shows the LCD-3 should be relatively weak at the midrange. (Sorry I got confused a bit with the frequencies and the graph indeed doesn't really support what is said about these headphones.)

Of the LCD-X many people say the mids are recessed, but I haven't got the foggiest idea why people think that. I can't compare it to the 2 and the 3 since I don't know anymoby who owns one of those, but I absolutely love it!

By the way: if I take the dBSPL chart of my LCD-X and compare it to the DbR of the LCD-X in this chart, the differences are huge! I know very little about measurements so maybe these 2  sorts of graphs don't have anything to do with eachother, but it does puzzle me.

Thank you.
I guess I'll just have to listen to them at a head-fi meet and judge for myself. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,336 of 12,748

I think that people say that LCD-X are more recessed on the mid section compared to LCD-3, because LCD-3 has actually better instrument extension with longer decays. Other than that I don't think that LCD-X is recessed on the mids, or any other zone on the frequency response. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,337 of 12,748
I think the bass is better on the X than on the 3c (and from what I have read the 3F as well) far as being tighter and punchier. Which I would agree with. Those mid on the 3c, well I will never forget. Just magical. Saying that, still think the X is overall better than the 3c though for staging and airings etc. I would love to spend some time comparing the 3F with my X to draw my own comparisons. Really don't think anyone could go wrong with either headphone.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #5,338 of 12,748
You really need to give both the 3 and the X a go before you buy I think. I like the 2, 3c, 3f, XC but for some reason the X doesn't sound right to me. I have heard 3 different X's on the Conductor, Auralic, and HA-1. I much prefer the 3f but I can see how people can prefer the X too. If you are spending $2k it would be a shame if you got the wrong one. It would be a big loss to me if I had got the X and never had the pleasure of 3f. Find a way to get to a meet or something.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #5,339 of 12,748
  You really need to give both the 3 and the X a go before you buy I think. I like the 2, 3c, 3f, XC but for some reason the X doesn't sound right to me. I have heard 3 different X's on the Conductor, Auralic, and HA-1. I much prefer the 3f but I can see how people can prefer the X too. If you are spending $2k it would be a shame if you got the wrong one. It would be a big loss to me if I had got the X and never had the pleasure of 3f. Find a way to get to a meet or something.

Good advice. Although I do love these X. IF I had a chance to listen to the 3f before I purchased (traded the 3c) I may have felt differently. I loved the 3c -but- the X corrected a couple small issues I [thought] I had with the 3c phones. I do intend to rent the 3f from Cable Co. one of these days and give 'em a go after I receive the Ragnarok. May just need to get a 3f then... Or maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back