Audeze LCD-X
Nov 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5,356 of 12,748
  Hi all

So I am a happy LCD-X user, which I pair with a Burson Conductor SL, its so nice.

My main upset with the LCD-X, is the comfort, and its something to do with the headband after a while, its almost as if I can feel the wire inside the headband.
Its probably due to the weight of the headphones, and over time becomes more apparent.

How can I make the headband more comfortable?

Many thanks

I had the same issue with my LCD 2.2f but I think this applies to all Audeze's. It seems the headband is not level front to back, in other words, it does not sit level on top of my head and the rear sharp edge of the headband is the only part making contact with the top of my head and was giving me headaches. I find by manipulating the ear pads to simulate flat pads instead of angled pads the top of the headband then levels out and is in full contact, (front to back), with the top of my head. I'm guessing that the headband was designed before the angled pads were added, but never changed. I realize the angled ear pads are a benefit to imaging and soundstage and are there to stay, but I could not stand the pain.

I had tried the Diono Soft Wraps Car Seat Harness Pads, however they were not very aesthetically pleasing.

I emailed Audeze regarding this but they were unable to come up with a fix, so I'm taking it into my own hands and am awaiting for a AKG type leather strap from Lohb which should alleviate the issue and provide a lot more comfort.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #5,358 of 12,748

Yea the XC is definitely shouty in the upper midrange.  I haven't heard the TH900, but I assume that the X is more mild and neutral compared to it.  TH900 seems to be famous for being wildly colored.

Thats my experience with thew XC's. I go back and forth between my LCD-x's and 3F's depending on music style,, I enjoy both equally.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #5,359 of 12,748
  Also where does one go from the LCD-X, I think the sound is beautiful from it.

I have been considering;
TH900
HD650
HE-560
GS1000e

Im swaying for the TH900 for watching movies with

The answer to both of your questions is the same... the LCD-Z that is coming soon 
wink_face.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,360 of 12,748
XC must be great for rock though (drum snap and guitar crunch). 

I would love to hear Frank Zappa's "Peaches in Regalia" through the Audeze LCD-X, I bet it's heavenly.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #5,361 of 12,748
I had the GS1000i, now the e, and first it is light as a feather with little clamping force and very comfortable. (One small thing is your ears stick out a lot from your head, the e cushions have a little less depth than the i, but
my ears which stick out a bit have no problem and I find the comfort supreme, a perfect complement to Audeze).
Second, the sonics are at once alive and dynamic but not shrill, and the e has tamed the Grado tendency to exaggerated highs, and I feel the GS1000e gets it just right.
I does not sound like a planar, but has a dynamic's you-are-there feeling. 
The images are palpable and fleshed out and not behind a wall. 
The bass is just full enough and not flabby.
It's a very direct sound, but that's a Grado signature.
I think it's the best Grado, better than the PS1000, which has too-accentuated bass for me.
The imaging and vocals sound natural to me, again like there is nothing but air in the way.
I find it more compelling and more comfortable than the HD800.
I like having a planar and a dynamic.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5,362 of 12,748

Very curious about Maggies... a few months ago I had almost convinced myself to get serious about them but then I was turned off by the McIntosh Rep who told me they didn't pair well with the MC302 amp I have had my eyes on forever.  As well the room I would be putting them in is only 12x12 and I was told they need a lot bigger space and are very finicky with position.  What are they like?  I have actually never heard a pair or seen one live but I love the idea of it producing the music in that 'wall of sound' planar manner.

Just sent you a PM :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #5,363 of 12,748
Thinking about selling my LCD-X's

Was using them as my main monitoring when I had to relocate my studio. Back with my speakers now and a have a pair of Focal Spirit Pros for headphone referencing. 

On a side note... Has anyone tried the LCD-X's with a Subpac? I bet that's insane. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,365 of 12,748
LCD-X aftermarket balanced cables

I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere along the way, but what benefits are people seeing with aftermarket cables? I don't have any dealers or meets available to demo them, so I'm throwing this out for discussion.

My 2 month old LCD-X/Schiit G/M combo being fed by a Mac Mini(AIFF/Pure Music/176.2 Upsampled) is my first foray into headphone audio. It sounds spectacular. I just wish I had about another 5 feet of balanced cable to reach my couch rather than being tethered to my computer desk. I do have an AK120 as a portable, so I can go anywhere with great sound but at the price of not using the G/M.

I've been a Monoprice kind of guy for my computer and home theater setups. Coming from a major science background, I've always found the "cables make/make no difference" wars interesting. Without true blinded, matched level, near instantaneous A-B comparisons being available, I've had a hard time justifying some of the dogma and stratospheric prices out there.

That a 2 foot billion dollar power cord coming out of my Met Ed wall socket magically will elevate my system to audio nirvana compared to the stock cord the manufacturer used to build the device is hard for me to believe. I've found that a mere 1 dB difference in level has made me repetitively change the ranking of quality in how I perceive the sound through 2 different DACs feeding my theater system, so I'm always suspect about bias affecting people's claims, and yet I have done rapid A-B short segment testing that confirms to me that Pure Music on Memory Play upsampling to 176.2 has a wider enveloping sound stage and sounds much better TO MY EARS than feeding the G/M 44.1 un-upsampled, the latter option being personally recommended to me by Schiit as the better way to go.

So if I blindfolded you and repeatedly handed you your LCD-X with either the stock or your replacement cable, would you honestly be able tell the difference to a statistical degree? I don't have a reference point from which to judge the stock cables- they sound fabulous to me- but I'm willing to drop the bucks on different ones if there is some really significant difference.

I'm open to suggestions based on both objective findings and subjective interpretation.

Tomorrow I'm going to give WyWire a call about the Reds to get their take.

Thanks, Scott

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,366 of 12,748
LCD-X aftermarket balanced cables

I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere along the way, but what benefits are people seeing with aftermarket cables? I don't have any dealers or meets available to demo them, so I'm throwing this out for discussion.

My 2 month old LCD-X/Schiit G/M combo being fed by a Mac Mini(AIFF/Pure Music/176.2 Upsampled) is my first foray into headphone audio. It sounds spectacular. I just wish I had about another 5 feet of balanced cable to reach my couch rather than being tethered to my computer desk. I do have an AK120 as a portable, so I can go anywhere with great sound but at the price of not using the G/M.

I've been a Monoprice kind of guy for my computer and home theater setups. Coming from a major science background, I've always found the "cables make/make no difference" wars interesting. Without true blinded, matched level, near instantaneous A-B comparisons being available, I've had a hard time justifying some of the dogma and stratospheric prices out there.

That a 2 foot billion dollar power cord coming out of my Met Ed wall socket magically will elevate my system to audio nirvana compared to the stock cord the manufacturer used to build the device is hard for me to believe. I've found that a mere 1 dB difference in level has made me repetitively change the ranking of quality in how I perceive the sound through 2 different DACs feeding my theater system, so I'm always suspect about bias affecting people's claims, and yet I have done rapid A-B short segment testing that confirms to me that Pure Music on Memory Play upsampling to 176.2 has a wider enveloping sound stage and sounds much better TO MY EARS than feeding the G/M 44.1 un-upsampled, the latter option being personally recommended to me by Schiit as the better way to go.

So if I blindfolded you and repeatedly handed you your LCD-X with either the stock or your replacement cable, would you honestly be able tell the difference to a statistical degree? I don't have a reference point from which to judge the stock cables- they sound fabulous to me- but I'm willing to drop the bucks on different ones if there is some really significant difference.

I'm open to suggestions based on both objective findings and subjective interpretation.

Tomorrow I'm going to give WyWire a call about the Reds to get their take.

Thanks, Scott

This might not be the right thread to fire off an open question on such a controversial topic.

I'll throw my 2 cents out there anyway - I have tried all sorts of fancy speaker cable / power cable / USB cable / interconnects (RCA and XLR). None of them have ever made a sonic difference that I can hear, so I don't bother. I use moderately priced, well insulated, wiring on everything. I do not look to cabling to impact the SQ of anything, unless it is defective (never happened yet).

I upgraded my headphone cables more for comfort than any other reason.

Quality of my source material / DAC / amp / speakers / tubes all produce differences I can hear - so this is where I spend my coin.

Other folks feel differently (and sometimes strongly) the other way - they swear that the cabling makes a noticeable difference in the SQ. More power to them if they can hear something - I can't. YMMV
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #5,367 of 12,748
  Thinking about selling my LCD-X's

Was using them as my main monitoring when I had to relocate my studio. Back with my speakers now and a have a pair of Focal Spirit Pros for headphone referencing. 

On a side note... Has anyone tried the LCD-X's with a Subpac? I bet that's insane. 

I looked into subpacs because of this post and have bought a 2nd hand one! 
biggrin.gif
 Will receive it in about 9 hours, I guess.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #5,368 of 12,748
And about the cable discussion here: my LCD-X came with an Oyaide cable. Been using that one from day 1 and today I tried out the stock cable.
I really didn't expect SUCH a clear difference in sound! 
The stock cable has recessed mids and more emphasis on the treble treble compared to the Oyaide.
I really prefer the Oyaide cable by far! It gives a much warmer sound.

This difference is much better audible than with upgrading my RCA cables.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,369 of 12,748
I have a Toxic Silver Widow cable. Nicely made and attractive. Very minimal effect on SQ that MY EARS can detect. By far the bigger improvement IMHO was adding the Wyrd USB signal processor to the chain. No contest there.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #5,370 of 12,748
I have a Toxic Silver Widow cable. Nicely made and attractive. Very minimal effect on SQ that MY EARS can detect. By far the bigger improvement IMHO was adding the Wyrd USB signal processor to the chain. No contest there.

Oh? Yeah I am still using a very standard USB cable since the signal is digital and theoretically there shouldn't be any loss of data/quality at all there, but I read many contradicting opinions about the subject. Perhaps it's worth trying out a better cable then, or this device you mention here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back