Audeze LCD-X
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,076 of 12,748
Very informative TwoEars. Thank you!

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3,077 of 12,748
just getting settled in to some listening to the bha-1 that was delivered today, i got it used, on the sale thread, it took the place of the mjo
first impression are very favorable !

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,078 of 12,748
Id like to chime in as i got my lcd-x today . and also for the first time im using computer audio ( ive been spinning the silver disc for a long long time) .
My system includes PC / Jriver  -->USB wireworld 7 --> NAD M51 --> Decware CSP2+ -> ALO Studio Six --> Toxic silver poison --> LCD-x
i used to have a lcd-3 before which i sold .

i know its too early  to conclude and there will still be changes 

ive used the lcdx about 3-4 hours today , out of the box i like the sound . The bass is not as much as the LCD-3 but it is nice and tight , the midrange is also good , not as thick as the lcd3 but it is excellent , the treble  is the part i like which is missing from the lcd-3.it has a bt more detail , the sound  is very airy , the soundstage is wider than the lcd-3.

its hard to pick which one is better , ill save that after it has broken in .

i also enjoyed the playback thru computer , i dont have to go to the hassle to stand up , get another disc , take the disc out and replace . 
overall  ill be spending a lot of time listening - and thank goodness im on a 5 day off .

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,079 of 12,748
Wow, that's a really nice setup. Do you prefer them with the Decware amp or the Studio 6? I'm interested in getting a Studio 6 eventually if it hopefully ever comes down in price.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3,080 of 12,748
Wow, that's a really nice setup. Do you prefer them with the Decware amp or the Studio 6? I'm interested in getting a Studio 6 eventually if it hopefully ever comes down in price.

the alo studio six i have no basis of comparo to other high end amps , but if u saw the video of the alo studio six posted before - it is pretty  much spot on . 
the alo sudio six is like a well trained , world class  skilled athlete , and by adding the csp2+ is like giving that athlete some steriods . u can tone it down to like baseline , or u can turn it up a notch  if u want .

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3,081 of 12,748
  Id like to chime in as i got my lcd-x today . and also for the first time im using computer audio ( ive been spinning the silver disc for a long long time) .
My system includes PC / Jriver  -->USB wireworld 7 --> NAD M51 --> Decware CSP2+ -> ALO Studio Six --> Toxic silver poison --> LCD-x
i used to have a lcd-3 before which i sold .

i know its too early  to conclude and there will still be changes 

ive used the lcdx about 3-4 hours today , out of the box i like the sound . The bass is not as much as the LCD-3 but it is nice and tight , the midrange is also good , not as thick as the lcd3 but it is excellent , the treble  is the part i like which is missing from the lcd-3.it has a bt more detail , the sound  is very airy , the soundstage is wider than the lcd-3.

its hard to pick which one is better , ill save that after it has broken in .

i also enjoyed the playback thru computer , i dont have to go to the hassle to stand up , get another disc , take the disc out and replace . 
overall  ill be spending a lot of time listening - and thank goodness im on a 5 day off .

Computer based audio is amazing. I first started up using a Squeezebox back in 2007 and I was hooked. I have all my CDs in a box in the closet and there they will stay. The convenience is off the charts, and it just makes music listening so much more enjoyable. 

As for the Xs, I've been encouraging people to watch movies with them, too. I was loosely charting the points in space where I would hear effects on the soundtrack to Enders Game, and I was getting darn near 270 degrees of envelopment. Hearing these headphones place a sound effect to the side and behind you is pretty remarkable. That's a feat that even my T1s can't quite match. The Xs have this uncanny ability to image 3-dimensionally...very impressive. That's been one of the biggest differences I've noticed over the 2s...these have a more spacious sound stage, it's more 3D, and the imaging is spot on accurate. Some of this is more apparent with well-recorded movies, Im' finding. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3,083 of 12,748
No, the X is not exactly easy to drive. Also check the above link and other posts here. There is no issue with "not enough power" or whatsoever, it is about the X's mid-range if the amp doesn't match well. So you might need to play around a little before you really unleash it's full potential. But isn't that the fun part of it anyway?
Surely you are right in so far, that Feynman should first try the amps he already owns (if any). Maybe he is lucky and doesn't have to invest more...

Finding a good synergy amp for the X is a different story. It depends on the taste of the owners. Play around with stuffs is the best fun part of this hobby, but it's really hurt too...my wallet is bleeding.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,084 of 12,748
qspZX.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,085 of 12,748
Welcome to Head-Fi....

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3,088 of 12,748

For the record: the term "fully balanced amplifier" is a term that only exists in the audiophile world I believe. The correct term for something like the mjolnir would probably be something like "dual-closed-circuit-push-pull-amplifier", or "dual-ground-isolated-differential-amp". Or something along those lines, I guess "fully balanced" just sounds sexier
bigsmile_face.gif

Or dual differential amplifier.

Good post by the way..
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #3,089 of 12,748

Or dual differential amplifier.

Good post by the way..
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Maybe someone should actually market one of their amplifiers as a "differential amplifier" for a change.

It would spark so much confusion and controversy it'd be funny as hell!!
biggrin.gif

I can see the ads in sterophile before me now.... "The NEW amazing differential amplifier from BRAND X, experience sound like never before!"

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,090 of 12,748
I have made some simple modifications to the earpads of my LCD-X and there are improvements in soundstaging and musical instrument separations.
gs1000.gif

See what I have done here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704800/audeze-lcd-x-ear-pads-improvements#post_10274001

Just try it out yourself and it is simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back