Audeze LCD-X
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #3,091 of 12,748
  I have made some simple modifications to the earpads of my LCD-X and there are improvements in soundstaging and musical instrument separations.
gs1000.gif

See what I have done here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704800/audeze-lcd-x-ear-pads-improvements#post_10274001

Just try it out yourself and it is simple.

I just ordered myself a unused pair of Alcantara pads for the LCD-2/3, they will arrive next week. When I auditioned the LCD3 before, I found them "stronger / stiffer" and thereby "higher" resulting in a slightly larger distance of the driver to the ear. I hope they also fit to the LCD-X...

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,092 of 12,748
This is funny.

I though the re-designed softer more comfortable earpads of the LCD-X was a major selling point, and here you are tweaking and exchanging them already!

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #3,093 of 12,748
Personally have no problems with the LCD-X earpads.  Most comfortable pads I ever had actually.  Curious though if it could improve the sound stage.  Been meaning a similar mod to my MDR-7520 recently but decided it wasn't worth doing unless I have something else to use the rest of the rubber with so maybe this is the straw.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,094 of 12,748
  This is funny.

I though the re-designed softer more comfortable earpads of the LCD-X was a major selling point, and here you are tweaking and exchanging them already!

Yes they are very very soft. BUT the problem is they are so soft that the pads are heavily compressed after some usage.  It reduces the distance of your ear to the driver noting that drivers are planer magnetic and you need to allow some distance apart to ensure the sound wave can reach your ears evenly.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #3,095 of 12,748
Yes they are very very soft. BUT the problem is they are so soft that the pads are heavily compressed after some usage.  It reduces the distance of your ear to the driver noting that drivers are planer magnetic and you need to allow some distance apart to ensure the sound wave can reach your ears evenly.

May be try the vegan pads which has more firmness.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #3,096 of 12,748
May be try the vegan pads which has more firmness.

There is no doubt that increasing the distance between the ear and the driver will improve the SQ BUT in additional to that using Neoprene rubber sheet can also damp the casing vibration which interacts with the driver and muddles the music clarity and accuracy. I have tried to give an explanation to such effect in the other forum.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #3,097 of 12,748
  There is no doubt that increasing the distance between the ear and the driver will improve the SQ BUT in additional to that using Neoprene rubber sheet can also damp the casing vibration which interacts with the driver and muddles the music clarity and accuracy. I have tried to give an explanation to such effect in the other forum.

Kindly keep your talk of damp rubber sheets to more appropriate venues.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #3,100 of 12,748
I just did a little comparison between the LCD-X and the AKG-1000.

Obviously to do so was totally use- and meaning- less, since one is a real headphone-veteran whereas the other one is the latest evolutionary step of the very actual LCD series. And both are as different as they ever could be concerning their design principles....

...but whatthefun, for those who still want to know, it's here...

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3,101 of 12,748
Reading through this forum has been interesting. Some have said that the Lyr sounds too warm with the X, others find the X sounds to cool with others. Maybe it's a credit to the headphones that they are so transparent, that they allow the amp/source to show its true character? Thoughts?

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,103 of 12,748
Reading through this forum has been interesting. Some have said that the Lyr sounds too warm with the X, others find the X sounds to cool with others. Maybe it's a credit to the headphones that they are so transparent, that they allow the amp/source to show its true character? Thoughts?

Yes, the LCD-Xs have a very neutral and transparent character which makes it easy to evaluate other components in a chain, as well as recordings. My experience is the LCD-X pairs well with different types of amps, and lets you fine-tune its signature without running into EQ or distortion issues.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,104 of 12,748

Most probably
smile.gif

Low-fi devices have "character", Hi-fi devices aren't supposed to.

The ultimate goal of high-end audio is for the system to disappear but for the music to remain.

I've heard a few systems like that, most often it's electrostatic speakers in combination with tube amps that does it for me.

I guess that why I like HD800's. They throw a soundstage that's big and wide just like ESLs.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,105 of 12,748

Totally agree. In my experience LCD-X really changed a lot with each source/amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back