Audeze LCD-X
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #3,046 of 12,748
Yes, for example here
No, the X is not exactly easy to drive. Also check the above link and other posts here. There is no issue with "not enough power" or whatsoever, it is about the X's mid-range if the amp doesn't match well. So you might need to play around a little before you really unleash it's full potential. But isn't that the fun part of it anyway?
Surely you are right in so far, that Feynman should first try the amps he already owns (if any). Maybe he is lucky and doesn't have to invest more...

I'll probably go for a Schiit Vali first since it's cheap, I can always use it for other headphones when I decide I wan't something new. I'm using a Bottlehead Crack w/ Sennheiser HD650 at the moment so unfortunaly I have to get a new amp as well. 
The Woo Audio WA7 looks really tempting since it sports a DAC as well, and the price isn't up the roof as some of the other amps mentioned here :) 

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3,047 of 12,748

Roger that, please report your findings
normal_smile%20.gif

Has anyone tried powering the LCD-X or LCD-2/3 from a speaker amp? It's fairly common with the HE-6...

There's no need for a speaker amp, really.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,048 of 12,748

I've tried the LCD-X with the Odyssey Cyclops--basically a custom built "heavy iron" amplifier. It sounded extremely good, super neutral, detailed, beautiful dynamics, and an expansive soundstage. Also tried the TBI Millenia, + resistor box, which has a warm solid state signature--I don't think it was a good match for the LCD-X.

Warm amp + LCD-X = MEH!

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,051 of 12,748
Yes, for example here
No, the X is not exactly easy to drive. Also check the above link and other posts here. There is no issue with "not enough power" or whatsoever, it is about the X's mid-range if the amp doesn't match well. So you might need to play around a little before you really unleash it's full potential. But isn't that the fun part of it anyway?
Surely you are right in so far, that Feynman should first try the amps he already owns (if any). Maybe he is lucky and doesn't have to invest more...

These are my findings from my limited experimentation with the X: you can drive it as far as making it play loud, but what comes out is not exactly the best sounding result. On the NA7004 it was congested as I mentioned. On the WA6, much better. I'll post about the Mjolnir. I can only imagine how nice it would be on something better (WA5-LE maxed, I'm talking about you) or one of those $3k+ SS amps.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,052 of 12,748

My feeling, too.  The LCD-X sounds great with a neutral solid state amp or a clean tube amp that runs neutral or with just a hint of warmth. Looking forward to hearing how the mighty Ragnarok rocks the X's.

Would you consider the Woo amps "neutral with just a hint of warmth"? I'm asking purely for educational reasons, because the only tube amp I've heard is the WA6 (which I own) with very few tube combinations. I'm actually considering to add the WA7. I was going for the WA5-LE, but if I want to get married this June, we can fuggedaboutdat.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,053 of 12,748
  Would you consider the Woo amps "neutral with just a hint of warmth"? I'm asking purely for educational reasons, because the only tube amp I've heard is the WA6 (which I own) with very few tube combinations. I'm actually considering to add the WA7. I was going for the WA5-LE, but if I want to get married this June, we can fuggedaboutdat.

I've only had a limited chance to listen to Woo amps, but I think they're generally characterized as fairly neutral or at least not overly warm. It sounds like the WA7 pairs well, although I have some doubts about the DAC--nice form factor though. I've heard several thousand dollar amps that sound phenomenal with the LCD-X, so while I don't doubt the WA5-LE is great--you don't need to spend that much for ultra high level performance.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,054 of 12,748

I've only had a limited chance to listen to Woo amps, but I think they're generally characterized as fairly neutral or at least not overly warm. It sounds like the WA7 pairs well, although I have some doubts about the DAC--nice form factor though. I've heard several thousand dollar amps that sound phenomenal with the LCD-X, so while I don't doubt the WA5-LE is great--you don't need to spend that much for ultra high level performance.

Can you provide some examples of those amps? I had the Mjolnir on my list (which I bought) and these:
Soloist
Master 9
V-200
Yulong Sabre 18

My plan is to buy each one, try and resell what I don't like. I don't have another option where I'm at. I started with the Mjolnir. Any ideas of what to add to this list or how to order it?

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,055 of 12,748
Well tonight I'm settling in with my LCD-X and some Tony Bennett and all I can say is: "amazing"! Just so natural and clean and still very musical. Definitely my favourite dynamic (dynamic or ortho-dynamic) pair of headphones. 
First I'll say that Tony Bennett sounds good to me thru just about anything. I've read several of your excellent headphone reviews and the fact that you consider these to be your favorite is quite an endorsement. Of the many high-end amplification sources that I'm sure you have access to which have you found pair well with the LCD-X's? Any comments on their build quality and comfort would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #3,056 of 12,748
I'm using the Bryston BHA-1 with the LCD-X currently. I like the sound. I liked it even more before the BHA-1 burned in. It had a lot more extension at the high-end then. If there's any problem with it, it's that I can barely turn the volume up on it. When I plug the HE-500 in, I have to switch to high-gain and twist the knob quite a bit more. It sounds really good with that headphone, too. Nice bass-slam and treble.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #3,057 of 12,748
  Can you provide some examples of those amps? I had the Mjolnir on my list (which I bought) and these:
Soloist
Master 9
V-200
Yulong Sabre 18

My plan is to buy each one, try and resell what I don't like. I don't have another option where I'm at. I started with the Mjolnir. Any ideas of what to add to this list or how to order it?

I think those amps are all worth trying, I'd lean towards balanced discrete amps, but some of the single-ended amps I've heard have been excellent. The Master 9 seems promising. We had the DC meet right after i got the LCD-X, so I've tried a lot of modded and DIY tube amps. Some of the local guys will do custom builds. The amps that impressed me most were the Odyssey Cyclops and a Krell KSA-5 clone. There was also a modded/upgraded tube amp that runs about a thousand dollars--I can't recall the name at the moment, but it wasn't anything mainstream.

I'm on a search myself at the moment. and have some hoped that the Ragnarok will share many of the characteristics of the GS-X mk2--which is my reference standard for neutral dynamic SS amps that have good synergy with just about anything.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #3,058 of 12,748
One of these two? .....or the EL84 bottom dweller:

There was also a modded/upgraded tube amp that runs about a thousand dollars--I can't recall the name at the moment, but it wasn't anything mainstream.

I'm on a search myself at the moment. and have some hoped that the Ragnarok will share many of the characteristics of the GS-X mk2--which is my reference standard for neutral dynamic SS amps that have good synergy with just about anything.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,059 of 12,748
One of these two? .....or the EL84 bottom dweller:

Ok, you are awesome. It was the amp on the left in the photo--pretty sure it had some upgraded tubes. It looks like it's a Gemini Doctor Gemtune GP-01--does that seem right?  It sounded excellent with the LCD-X. I saw some earlier posts about 300B amps being warm, but this one was definitely not too warm. The amp on the right wasn't that great.  Which was the EL84--was that the homebrew amp at the other end of the room?  It was a mess with the LCD-2, but sounded good with the LCD-X.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #3,060 of 12,748
I'm using the Bryston BHA-1 with the LCD-X currently. I like the sound. I liked it even more before the BHA-1 burned in. It had a lot more extension at the high-end then. If there's any problem with it, it's that I can barely turn the volume up on it. When I plug the HE-500 in, I have to switch to high-gain and twist the knob quite a bit more. It sounds really good with that headphone, too. Nice bass-slam and treble.

Thanks for your impressions!
I have a bha-1 being delivered tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back