Audeze LCD-MX4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 67
I remember the Pro thread, yeah. If it's being called an MX4 that tells me things have changed significantly and they're aiming up at the 4 area instead of down around the 2. That's why I'm ultra curious. A supercharged X would very much be something I'm interested in, but if it's just the old Pro I'm not.

Maybe it makes sense. Did you see they’re offering the LCD-X for US$1199 without the hard case?

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #32 of 67
Maybe it makes sense. Did you see they’re offering the LCD-X for US$1199 without the hard case?

Oh damn. I did not see that. I got my X at a pretty good discount to begin with, but $1200 is a steal for those. I still think they're better than the 3.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #34 of 67
Why do you think they’re better than the 3?

Less dark, mainly. Still had the Audeze sound and that linear bass but more energetic and less bloomy. Totally splitting hairs at this point but it was more of a nudge toward the X than me careening away from the 3. Either would have been amazing, just an X preference because it's a bit more even. Great for rock/metal.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 67
I get it. A friend has just bought the X and I just bought the 3. I didn’t have a chance to compare them. But we compared their frequency response graphics. I’d like to share it with you. I’ll PM you tomorrow, need some sleep now.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #36 of 67
I get it. A friend has just bought the X and I just bought the 3. I didn’t have a chance to compare them. But we compared their frequency response graphics. I’d like to share it with you. I’ll PM you tomorrow, need some sleep now.

All good brother. I just know what I heard on the units I got a chance to demo. I mean this is purely minor preferences at that level, I just know I listened to the 2, X, and 3, could have snagged any of 'em but went with the X. Just seemed to fit my music the best.

If the MX4 is along those same lines, I'm gonna be saving. For... a while...

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 67
Unless this model deviates from the LCD-4 or LCD-i4, the naming convention of “4” appears to refer to their flagship driver technology. Specifically, both models share a planar diaphragm which is significantly thinner and more performant than the standard membrane used in most of the other planar designs they produce

I can imagine that if they’re going for: “ultimate studio monitor,” this may be the logical choice for performance. However, I’d imagine there’s a really strong market for the rumored price/specs/design of the rumored “LCD-Pro.”

If this is a TOTL design, I hope they release it’s spiritual “little brother.”

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #39 of 67
Unless this model deviates from the LCD-4 or LCD-i4, the naming convention of “4” appears to refer to their flagship driver technology. Specifically, both models share a planar diaphragm which is significantly thinner and more performant than the standard membrane used in most of the other planar designs they produce

I can imagine that if they’re going for: “ultimate studio monitor,” this may be the logical choice for performance. However, I’d imagine there’s a really strong market for the rumored price/specs/design of the rumored “LCD-Pro.”

If this is a TOTL design, I hope they release it’s spiritual “little brother.”

It would be honestly weird as hell to put the -4 on the title and have it cost less than the X or 3. That's just poor marketing. But we'll see what they do.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #40 of 67
Specifically, both models share a planar diaphragm which is significantly thinner and more performant than the standard membrane used in most of the other planar designs they produce...

What the 4 has that can be applied to the X, is the Double Fluxor magnet array which started on the EL-8 and is coming out on all the new ones.

So, the same diaphragm with the new magnet array.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #41 of 67
What the 4 has that can be applied to the X, is the Double Fluxor magnet array which started on the EL-8 and is coming out on all the new ones.

So, the same diaphragm with the new magnet array.

Interesting: sounds like you might be suggesting both the 0.5 microns film and double fluxor mag technology could be in these if we’re following naming conventions.

If that’s the case, this is probably a new TOTL planar showcase/reference type model.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #42 of 67
Actually I was suggesting same old X diaphragm with new (and relatively cheap) Fluxor array. This technology used on the 4, EL-8 and Sine.

To me that appears to be the next X DNA, a significant jump in tesla without a big price jump.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #44 of 67
i cannot express how little interest i have in purchasing, or even listening to, all of the new audio equipment that comes out now a days. the prices and countless iterations of headphones in the current market is absurd. i'll stick with my old K701 and LCD2. These "low-fi" headphones provide me all of the listening enjoyment and audio contentment i need. i prefer to spend my discretionary income on music.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #45 of 67
i cannot express how little interest i have in purchasing, or even listening to, all of the new audio equipment that comes out now a days. the prices and countless iterations of headphones in the current market is absurd. i'll stick with my old K701 and LCD2. These "low-fi" headphones provide me all of the listening enjoyment and audio contentment i need. i prefer to spend my discretionary income on music.
Which only begs the question, why are you still here? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back