Audeze LCD-MX4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 67
i cannot express how little interest i have in purchasing, or even listening to, all of the new audio equipment that comes out now a days. the prices and countless iterations of headphones in the current market is absurd. i'll stick with my old K701 and LCD2. These "low-fi" headphones provide me all of the listening enjoyment and audio contentment i need. i prefer to spend my discretionary income on music.

And we're all very, very proud of you. No, really. I got a trophy over here for you, I just need your mailing address. There's even a bucket of confetti to add to the celebration of you being so much better than the rest of us.

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #50 of 67
Y'all need to remember absolute vs relative.

$2k is damn expensive. $2k compared to $4k is not. Think of it like cars. If you're looking at a $100,000 sports car, a Dodge Hellcat for $70k is pretty cheap, despite still costing twice as much as what tons of people make in a whole year.

People need to stop acting like flagships are anything but exotic boutique products. For every Susvara and Utopia there are a billion cheaper alternatives. No one is obligated to buy them, nor are consumers entitled to be able to afford the most expensive thing a company has to offer. It's not like lower cost products are vanishing.

The only people who complain about the upward creeping of flagships, in the face of all the Monoprices and Massdrops offering products for cheaper than ever, are people who feel hell-bent on always having "the best" but now it's harder and harder to afford "the best" because they're costing insane amounts.

Just because HFM or Audeze charge an arm and a leg on their TOTL products doesn't mean any of the stuff down the line is gone. You are more than welcome to buy that instead. The tippy top products exist for a small subset of the consumer base. That's why you can't find an LCD-4 in a store. They're made on demand. The Utopia didn't make the Elear go away.

I may never even get this because holy **** $4000 is a lot of money, but its existence isn't a detriment to what costs less. These products aren't causing lower-cost models to vanish. Audeze has ALWAYS made boutique products. The LCD-2 was, what, $1500 or so when it first came out? Now they have the $400 Sine and the two iSine models that are closer to consumer prices. HiFiMan still makes everything down to the HE-400 and paired up with Massdrop for even cheaper items.

I could understand the complaint if this was happening at the expense of affordable products, but it's not. These are happening in addition to. Audeze didn't replace the 2 or 3 with the 4, the 4 happened alongside the 2 and 3. This stuff is bonus. It's companies making crazy stuff for people who have the money to burn. Relax.

This needs to be rubber-stamped below every single post whining about price in any thread on this website. Well-said.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #51 of 67
Updated first post with more info.

Ha, I got it now: married X and 4 = MX4 :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #52 of 67
Interesting, I imagine it will be an LCD-X then that's more comfortable & has greater resolution/power because of the more powerful magnet structure? Obviously efficiency was already something the LCD-X was good at.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #53 of 67
The LCD-X is growing on me the more I listen to it, but I am curious how the MX4 will sound. I hope someone gets a review sample soon and can share their experiences and impressions. In the meantime it's the X and 2F for me

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #54 of 67
The LCD-X is growing on me the more I listen to it, but I am curious how the MX4 will sound. I hope someone gets a review sample soon and can share their experiences and impressions. In the meantime it's the X and 2F for me

The X is simply wonderful. I think Audeze knocked it out of the park with that one. If the MX4 is to the X what the 3 is to the 2 (and, I guess, the 4 to the 3) then it's gonna be one hell of a buy.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #56 of 67
Still hoping it could have the sub bass of the closed Sine with the other elements of the non-X LCD series (flat full mids, not too bright like the X). Not likely.
Coming from Grados, I can't imagine what the other LCDs sound like. In terms of brightness, the Xs are perfect to my ears. I can barely listen to my Grados, anymore, as the X is perfect. Not picking; just sayin'.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #57 of 67
Still hoping it could have the sub bass of the closed Sine with the other elements of the non-X LCD series (flat full mids, not too bright like the X). Not likely.

"Not too bright like the X"

...what

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #58 of 67
"Not too bright like the X"

...what
As I say, I never found the X to be bright. The highs are there when you need them, not sizzling in your ears like the Grados. I've never heard the HD-800, but the way people talk about their sound signature, well, I think the x will be my main squeeze for a long time to come.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #59 of 67
As I say, I never found the X to be bright. The highs are there when you need them, not sizzling in your ears like the Grados. I've never heard the HD-800, but the way people talk about their sound signature, well, I think the x will be my main squeeze for a long time to come.

The 800 is just too damn cold. The HD800S fixes it pretty well, but I still prefer the X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back