Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #4,728 of 4,796
Anyone try the cipher lightning cable with a usb-c adapter on an iPhone 15 to see if it works with the audeze eq? I just got an iPhone 15 from work and wanted to see if I should hunt down an adapter as the iPhone is usb-c now

does it keep the cipher eqed sound as it does with the app at no adjustment…I guess I am asking if it sounds the same as it coming out from an iPhone with lightning?

I just yesterday bought an apple to lightning adapter to use with my 15 Pro Max and it works as others have said. EQ is in effect, but app does not work.

Here's info from Audeze's web site - Audeze Support

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #4,729 of 4,796
Good day! Let me share my experience: my cipher cable had broken last month and I wanted to find some way to fix it by replaced the lightning connector. I had thoughts that the connector is a problem. I thought why not just to replace lightning connector (maybe with data cable) for type-с connector.

I've found radio electronic guy, who has opened the body of the cipher. Interesting, that data cable has five cores — usually lightning cable has only 4 pins. The guy couldn't understand what for is the firths core, unfortunately.
temp-Image-OJIg-LP.avif
temp-Imageos-ETVT.avif
temp-Image-Mh-Ahzg.avif

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #4,730 of 4,796
Hey, friends, I just upgraded from my lcd-i3 's to the lcd i4. As with the older pair, the Audeze HQ app iOS does not recognize either the Cipher cable (from the LCDi3) or the Bluetooth module. The wired set up just gives me a device not connected message, even when I click on reconnect or connect Cipher cable. I have an iPhone 14 with a lightning connector I have looked at the FAQs on the Audeze website regarding connection problems with the app, I have tried all the suggestions, including cleaning the connector, and I still cannot get the app to find the Cipher or Bluetooth connection. Is there any other way to troubleshoot this? Thank you!

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4,731 of 4,796
Assuming your cipher cable is good including the Lightning connector, and you have the Audeze HQ app on your iPhone, you should be able to listen to music using the cipher cable.

On my iPhone 11, the cipher cable will not work and you can't listen to music if the app is not on the phone. If it is and it still doesn't work, I'd suspect a bad cipher cable. I've had 3 cipher cables (10's, 20's, i3's) and haven't had issues with any.

Of course, originally the Audeze app allowed you to use the built-in 10-band EQ with the cipher cable, then a few years ago one of their updates took that EQ ability away. Still mad as h... about that. But the cipher cable should still play music regardless if the app is installed. Might also need the app to be on the phone for the Audeze Bluetooth module to work. I rarely used mine when I had the i3's, so couldn't tell you for sure.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #4,732 of 4,796
Oh, maybe I was unclear. I can listen to music, it works just fine sounds great, in fact. It's just that the app refuses to connect with the Cipher cable. When I looked at the Apple App Store, the Audeze HQ app is rated at, like, 2.5 stars. So it seems like maybe Audeze has just stopped developing it and it's pretty broken at this point. But I'll be curious to see if anybody is still able to get it to work on an iPhone. Thanks for responding!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #4,733 of 4,796
Ok, I assume when you open the Audeze HQ app all you get is "Device Connecting..."

I just tried the app with my iSine10's and my iSine20's, each with their own cipher cable.

That's all it's going to do, show you "Device Connecting". It doesn't support the cipher cable anymore so it won't connect to or recognize it.

All the original app did was give you a 10-band EQ allowing you to save your EQ adjustments to 2 different presets, but that's what made it so great. The iSines (and i3/i4) can take a ridiculous amount of bass boost so it is fun to play with. Luckily I hadn't thrown away my old iPhone 6S and iPhone 8 and they both had the original Audeze HQ app still on them that never got upgraded, so I can still connect to those, adjust the EQ, then listen to them on my iPhone 11, as the EQ adjustment stays with the cipher cable.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #4,735 of 4,796
Glad to see the community is still active for this lovely, underrated headphone. Okay so I meant to post this like 2 years ago, but better late than never.

I had this idea to combine the stock ear hook with the stock ear fin. The ear fin's weight get leverage at the bottom of the ear notch whereas the ear hook has leverage at the top of the ear. Together, it feels very anchored with better weight distribution.

The only challenge is that the lip of the ear fin hits the hook. So with an exacto knife, you can just cut off the overlapping portion. Super easy and only takes 5 min. Keep a bottom flap and make it as close to the gap of the ear hook so it doesn't rotate independently of the hook.

It feels both more secure and comfortable than just one of the attachments. I've been using it like this for a couple years, so I definitely recommend chopping up your ear fins :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_204827057.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240207_204827057.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_205023914.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240207_205023914.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_205109554.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240207_205109554.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #4,736 of 4,796
Oh, that’s really nice! I tried the fin but by itself, it just wasn’t secure enough in my ear, I always feel like they are just about to fall out. The hooks are a little fiddly, but they serve the purpose. I am doing some Monotonous work right now listening to them, and they are just glorious! Underrated, indeed!

Thanks for posting.

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #4,737 of 4,796
Oh, that’s really nice! I tried the fin but by itself, it just wasn’t secure enough in my ear, I always feel like they are just about to fall out. The hooks are a little fiddly, but they serve the purpose. I am doing some Monotonous work right now listening to them, and they are just glorious! Underrated, indeed!

Thanks for posting.

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head about the feeling that it's going to fall out haha. With the mod, the hooks feel less fiddly once it's on the ear.

Also, I just caught up on your thread about the cipher cable. If you're looking for EQ adjustment on your iphone, I highly recommend the qudelix 5k. It has tons of options for band and parametric EQ, plus the whole autoEQ database built in. It should run a good amount more power than the cipher too, especially with a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #4,738 of 4,796
I will check that out, thank you. As you may have seen in my other thread, I also have the iBasso DX320, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to use the parametric equalizer that is part of mango player, the built-in music playing program.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #4,739 of 4,796
I've saved multiple EQs in my DAPs for my i4. This way it's plug and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back