Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,396 of 4,795
I have that setup but i don't like the ifi micro dsd bl with the lcdi4. The 3d switch makes it super fatiguing. Sure it increases the perceived width but at th cost of too much energy in the treble. Sadly i couldnt get the Reveal + adapter plugin to work with my foobar2000 to see its potential.
Wish i could try it on the Hugo2 but the only way for me to hear it is by either trading my lcdi4 or sellling it...
The Aeon Flow Open though works nicely with the ifi micro dsd bl

For what it's worth, @KMann from Audeze said that the mojo was one of the test rigs they used in the development of the LCD i4.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #1,397 of 4,795
Both Planar's are now together Unique Melody ME-1 and Audeze LCD i4. They are both awesome in their own merits.

MVIMG_20171126_152231.jpg

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #1,399 of 4,795
To put simply. The ME-1 is like the Audeze with great isolation to use while traveling and driven from your phone.
They are both great, I think LCD i4 has a larger soundstage but you need a lot of power.

I do prefer thw UM cable much better.

The UM has a build, presentation and packaging that the Audeze should had

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #1,400 of 4,795
Played around with the EQ for the Audeze based on some of the posts and they sound tremendous with an Onkyo DP-1A and Cayin C5. So pretty portable set up. Also I do prefer the wing ear to hold the IEM's. The hooks were fine but bother me when using my reading glasses

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #1,401 of 4,795
UPDATE:

The issue is why the charge being emitted from my laptop's power-brick/charger...going to have to find a way to eliminate that.

Now...these headphones. WOW. What a revelation.
---
Hi Everyone - I picked up a pair of i4's today as I was looking for something to complement my AKT8ieII's. When I was listening to them in store I was floored. The scale of the sound-stage, separation of instruments combined with the foundation laid down by the definition of planar bass tone was instantly impressive. I was looking for something that was a material step-up from the T8Mk2's and I'm confident to say I've found it.

My only issue is that the left driver has a hum to it and I'm unsure whether to return my pair or whether there's something I'm not accounting for. I'm running the i4's out of a Hugo2 which is connected via USB to the a Windows 10 laptop. When I touch the plug the hum disappears - it almost sounds like a grounding issue?

Thanks in advance,
Soapy

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,402 of 4,795
There was someone in this thread that had a solution to this ground problem. Something you could buy and hook up to one of the devices in the chain. But I can't find it again.. I´ve searched and looked.
I´m kind of bothered by this issue as well, and would like a solution.

UPDATE:

The issue is why the charge being emitted from my laptop's power-brick/charger...going to have to find a way to eliminate that.

---
Hi Everyone - I picked up a pair of i4's today as I was looking for something to complement my AKT8ieII's. When I was listening to them in store I was floored. The scale of the sound-stage, separation of instruments combined with the foundation laid down by the definition of planar bass tone was instantly impressive. I was looking for something that was a material step-up from the T8Mk2's and I'm confident to say I've found it.

My only issue is that the left driver has a hum to it and I'm unsure whether to return my pair or whether there's something I'm not accounting for. I'm running the i4's out of a Hugo2 which is connected via USB to the a Windows 10 laptop. When I touch the plug the hum disappears - it almost sounds like a grounding issue?

Thanks in advance,
Soapy

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,403 of 4,795
UPDATE:

---

Thanks in advance,
Soapy
Congratulations for LCD i4.
I am thoroughly impressed by their performance.
I have hugo 2 & lcdi4.
Coming to the grounding problem.
I have the same problem with my iMac late 2013.
I use my iMac as Roon core.
Majority of times I am on my MacBook pro & the grounding issue is not there.
If there is a sound while touching the driver housing... I think it's due to diaphragm flex which changes with air pressure.( according to audeze)
How are the LCD i4 compared to your full size headphones?

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,404 of 4,795
There was someone in this thread that had a solution to this ground problem. Something you could buy and hook up to one of the devices in the chain. But I can't find it again.. I´ve searched and looked.

Was it the Ferrite Rings over the UCB cable?

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,405 of 4,795

Was it the Ferrite Rings over the UCB cable?

Thanks fella's. While I've eliminated the groundloop/hum by disconnecting the laptop from the charger I'm keen on a more sustainable solution that eliminates the hum altogether. I've got a Wyred Recovery that runs off a custom made linear power supply. I'll be testing this solution sometime over the coming week. Ideally I'd like something a touch more discrete, however testing the hum with the Recovery + LPS will be a good test to see if it makes any difference at all.

How are the LCD i4 compared to your full size headphones?

The very reason I purchase the i4's over another set of full sized cans was because I wanted something portable I could use between my office and at home. We're doing a huge renovation to our place at the moment, which has meant my family and I have had to move into a (very) small apartment while the renovations are taking place. Initially I thought I'd be able to listen to the DAVE + Abyss combo, but as it's turned out due to the placement of the system I've barely touched the Abyss' because by the time I have everything setup I've either run the risk of waking one of the kids up and/or lost 15 - 20 minutes of time getting everything connected and turned on. With the i4's + Hugo2 I'm listening to music in minutes, discretely. I love that.

The i4 is without doubt the best in-ear/portable headphone I've ever owned. It's in an entirely league. I initially thought I was going to pull the trigger on the a pair of Vega's but upon listening to them I couldn't justify the price difference between the Vega's and T8Mk2's. Don't get me wrong, the Vega's are definitely a better IEM than than the T8Mk2's just not enough to justify the switch. Within 20 seconds of listening to the i4's on the first of my reference tracks I knew that I was going to buy them.

Comparing the i4's to the Abyss is a touch unfair. The Abyss is almost speaker like in it's presentation. I'm a sucker for sound-stage breath and imaging when listening to music. The Abyss lays music down across an audible plateau better than any headphone I've ever heard. The i4 comes fairly close as far soundstage and imaging is concerned. The reproduction of find details, and placement of those details is also within touching distance of the Abyss.

Then of course there's the dynamism of the Abyss', it's such an enjoyable headphone to listen to if you love scale and impact when it comes to your music. I certainly do. Some may consider the Abyss' bright, with the suggestion that the treble might be a bit peaky. I think the i4's are similar, I'm hearing a similar treble peak in there. I'm not as sensitive to treble as some so it's livable. Lastly there's the bass. The Abyss' dig deep, and have impact. While the i4's don't dig anywhere near as deep or have anywhere near the same impact there's enough resolution to create space around the bass so that there's clear delineation between the planar bass and the mid-range, ditto, mid-bass and the upper registers. All of this translates into a very visceral and organic representation of the music. The bass in particular is beautifully palpable.

This is all to say that I find the i4's stunning, and quite frankly bordering on over-whelming when I pause and start to reflect on the type of fidelity I'm able to hear in such a portable footprint. Take a bow Audeze & Chord. I'm blown away.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #1,406 of 4,795
Thanks fella's. While I've eliminated the groundloop/hum by disconnecting the laptop from the charger I'm keen on a more sustainable solution that eliminates the hum altogether. I've got a Wyred Recovery that runs off a custom made linear power supply. I'll be testing this solution sometime over the coming week. Ideally I'd like something a touch more discrete, however testing the hum with the Recovery + LPS will be a good test to see if it makes any difference at all.

The very reason I purchase the i4's over another set of full sized cans was because I wanted something portable I could use between my office and at home. We're doing a huge renovation to our place at the moment, which has meant my family and I have had to move into a (very) small apartment while the renovations are taking place. Initially I thought I'd be able to listen to the DAVE + Abyss combo, but as it's turned out due to the placement of the system I've barely touched the Abyss' because by the time I have everything setup I've either run the risk of waking one of the kids up and/or lost 15 - 20 minutes of time getting everything connected and turned on. With the i4's + Hugo2 I'm listening to music in minutes, discretely. I love that.

The i4 is without doubt the best in-ear/portable headphone I've ever owned. It's in an entirely league. I initially thought I was going to pull the trigger on the a pair of Vega's but upon listening to them I couldn't justify the price difference between the Vega's and T8Mk2's. Don't get me wrong, the Vega's are definitely a better IEM than than the T8Mk2's just not enough to justify the switch. Within 20 seconds of listening to the i4's on the first of my reference tracks I knew that I was going to buy them.

Comparing the i4's to the Abyss is a touch unfair. The Abyss is almost speaker like in it's presentation. I'm a sucker for sound-stage breath and imaging when listening to music. The Abyss lays music down across an audible plateau better than any headphone I've ever heard. The i4 comes fairly close as far soundstage and imaging is concerned. The reproduction of find details, and placement of those details is also within touching distance of the Abyss.

Then of course there's the dynamism of the Abyss', it's such an enjoyable headphone to listen to if you love scale and impact when it comes to your music. I certainly do. Some may consider the Abyss' bright, with the suggestion that the treble might be a bit peaky. I think the i4's are similar, I'm hearing a similar treble peak in there. I'm not as sensitive to treble as some so it's livable. Lastly there's the bass. The Abyss' dig deep, and have impact. While the i4's don't dig anywhere near as deep or have anywhere near the same impact there's enough resolution to create space around the bass so that there's clear delineation between the planar bass and the mid-range, ditto, mid-bass and the upper registers. All of this translates into a very visceral and organic representation of the music. The bass in particular is beautifully palpable.

This is all to say that I find the i4's stunning, and quite frankly bordering on over-whelming when I pause and start to reflect on the type of fidelity I'm able to hear in such a portable footprint. Take a bow Audeze & Chord. I'm blown away.
Thanks!

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,407 of 4,795
UPDATE:

---

Thanks in advance,
Soapy
Regarding the grounding problem of Hugo 2.
There is a post on Hugo 2 official thread about the same.
Here is the link:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-611#post-13888293

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,408 of 4,795
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,410 of 4,795
What is the role of Ferrite cores?

To reduce RF noise which pumps the noise floor up and down (noise floor modulation) which makes the sound brighter/more harsh, at least as it pertains to the conversation in the Hugo 2 thread. This is seperate from grounding issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back